• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

tlICWSTO_400x400.jpg

FrL59C6WIAAfNp1

Let the hype begin! This is the race that Remco will win, after coming from Tenerife where he broke every record there is. Others will race for 2nd place or lower.
It's also the race where Bernal starts his European season after beating Remco in San Juan on that one stage.

Notable GC mentions: Bernal, Evenepoel, Roglic, Carapaz, Almeida, Simon Yates, Bardet, Geraint, Landa, Vine, Plapp
Notable sprinters: Hayter, Coquard, Groves, Ulissi

nAgByjb.png

2r64N1Y.png

Live video stream available on Eurosport/GCN.

PTqf9Px.png

Full startlist (not yet final):

Last edited:
Profiles:

Stage 1»Sant Feliu de Guíxols›Sant Feliu de Guíxols(164.6km)

volta-a-catalunya-2023-stage-1-profile-6883f91465.jpg

Stage 2»Mataró›Vallter(165.4km)

volta-a-catalunya-2023-stage-2-profile-d38648db37.jpg

Stage 3»Olost›La Molina (Alp) (180.6km)

volta-a-catalunya-2023-stage-3-profile-3883ee3db2.jpg

Stage 4»Llívia›Sabadell(188.2km)

volta-a-catalunya-2023-stage-4-profile-1f71de4ec1.jpg

Stage 5»Tortosa›Lo Port(176.6km)

volta-a-catalunya-2023-stage-5-profile-0a5b52e1ca.jpg

Stage 6»Martorell ›Molins de Rei (183.2km)

volta-a-catalunya-2023-stage-6-profile-4f0a947596.jpg

Stage 7 (Final)»Barcelona›Barcelona(135.8km)

volta-a-catalunya-2023-stage-7-profile-04bf2867f7.jpg

• Love
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
There can't be many WT races that only have 2 previous winners still on the World Tour.
TDU had just the 1, Rohan Dennis.
Pais Vasco, Romandie and Roubaix all have three I think.
MSR and Klasika both have 8. But Klasika has both Evenepoel and LuLu Sanchez winning twice.

Luis Leon barely edging out Cavendish for earliest WT-race winner, stages not included.

If Lanterne Rouge is correct about the parcours, the stage 1 final is unnecessarily dangerous. With what probably will be a close to full peloton they will be going from pretty wide roads right into a 2m wide small little street on tiles with 1km to go to come out of it onto a somewhat wide road again with 800m to go. They can literally just follow the wide road and have a safe bunch sprint but they choose to do this.

I don't get it that the UCI lets stuff like this happen.

If Lanterne Rouge is correct about the parcours, the stage 1 final is unnecessarily dangerous. With what probably will be a close to full peloton they will be going from pretty wide roads right into a 2m wide small little street on tiles with 1km to go to come out of it onto a somewhat wide road again with 800m to go. They can literally just follow the wide road and have a safe bunch sprint but they choose to do this.

I don't get it that the UCI lets stuff like this happen.
Same finish as last year. It was pretty dangerous IIRC.

TDU had just the 1, Rohan Dennis.
Daryl Impey is still going (as is Vine, but I guess that's why you said 'had')

But In January, there will only be one previous winner still active for the TDU.

Edit: D'oh, Impey is at Israel-Premier, therefore not WT.

Another edit: but LLS is also a winner there, and has not (afaik) announced his retirement yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Wait all those big names are doing this in addition to Remco? I don’t think it’s a sure thing for him at all.
Of course it isn't. There is also no TT, yet there are boniseconds. So in order for him to win, he actually has to drop his opponents (or at least a number of guys who can beat him in a sprint). It's just something Lequack likes to do, exaggerate the chances of the biggest favourite or the most hyped rider, as if the rest should be happy to get on the podium just to be able to ask for his autograph. I think he means it to be tongue in cheek.

Last edited:
If Remco wants to win this race then Tortosa is the place to do it. Steep unipuerto climbs about 20-30 minutes long is where his w/kg seems most impressive. He can excel there even if he's not ready yet for a 3-week race. Obviously he can try some crazy solo in the last stage as well. I'm curious how Primoz will fare against Remco. He'll win bonuses here and there but I'm not sure if at this stage of his preparations he's able to stay with the Belgian during those w/kg fests.

Reactions: Carols and noob

TRENDING THREADS