• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I heard Evenepoel has a secret plan to prevent Roglic from wheelsucking tomorrow anyway. Now, i can't really talk about it, but it involves eating onions and beans. Let's see how it pans out.
That makes me think of that page from Paul Kimmage’s book detailing what it was like to ride behind Lemond when he passing brown liquid.
Thanks.

Saturday's stage was altered "for safety reasons". The final climb (Alt de Fontpineda) was taken out of the route:

zy8bjwB.png

Should still be a breakaway day, I guess, but now there's a bit better chance for the sprinters.
Whoever is leading after tomorrow's stage is all but guaranteed the overall victory then, because how often has the Montjuïc circuit seen the race leader toppled?

Also, changing a route two days in advance for reasons that aren't force majeure is just unacceptable at the WT level. How much can the safety of the road have changed since the route presentation?

Whoever is leading after tomorrow's stage is all but guaranteed the overall victory then, because how often has the Montjuïc circuit seen the race leader toppled?

Also, changing a route two days in advance for reasons that aren't force majeure is just unacceptable at the WT level. How much can the safety of the road have changed since the route presentation?
I don't know but I have a feeling the Montjuic circuit is very well suited to Evenepoel. If he needs some seconds, he can wreak havoc on that stage.

Reactions: KenFiamingo
Does it honestly look like a circuit that would have Evenepoel in trouble in case he were to lead GC, though?

I don't know but I have a feeling the Montjuic circuit is very well suited to Evenepoel. If he needs some seconds, he can wreak havoc on that stage.
Pretty much. For some reason he's alwasy been lethal on circuits. Ever since his junior years, the Hammer races, Poland, the WCC... I don't know what makes it different than a regular stage in line, maybe the predictability of the circuit and managing efforts. Once he has a gap though, it could well be more than a few seconds.

not sure Cian is really up for a GT yet. Catalunya has been a major goal for him while it's a preparation race for almost everyone else, so making an impression here is relatively "easy". Last year we saw the same with the Uno-X climbers for example, all peaking for smaller races and consequently punching above their weight.

Still, very good performance so far this week.

Really hope they provide some good details on this. No news on the front page yet.

TRENDING THREADS