• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2024 (March 18-24)

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tourmalet from Gripp (top with 47 km to go in the Tour last year) has similar altitude, but is a bit longer. Tourmalet (2115 m), last 12.37 km at 8.83 %, Vingegaard and Pogi: 36'54", VAM: 1775 m/h, 6.16 W/kg [Dr.F].

If it rains tomorrow, they won't go sub-30'. ~29'30" should be doable in good conditions.
Vingegaard did 6.2 w/kg in the last 33 minutes of La loze, and the conditions of that perfomance were worse than the conditions of tomorrow, it's a unipuerto stage.
La loze was more long, after 16 days and a hard TT, high altitude than Vallter 2000 (2350 m, Vallter 2150), and the stage was more harder.

I don't think 6.4 w/kg is difficult to achieve.

Small question – in cases like these, where some people obviously gap others, doesn't it not make more sense to use 3km rule re peloton rather than the winning group? Especially when the split was in no way caused by the crash.

If you mean people getting the time of Schultz despite there being a gap, it was because of a sprinter stage protocol being applied.

Which is I think is a bit iffy for a stage ending uphill, but maybe it was also because of the run-in.

Edit:

7.2 STAGES EXPECTED TO FINISH IN BUNCH SPRINT The following stages have been identified as « expected to finish in bunch sprint »:- Stage 1, 4 and 5 During these stages, the protocol of calculation of time gaps for stages “expected to finish in bunch sprints” published on the UCI website in the Regulations section will be applied.

Reactions: Brullnux
Yeah also meant in the case of a sprint stage, and someone attacks 1.5km out and wins by 5s, it feels wrong that they are then put s/t by an unconnected crash in the peloton that had no bearing on their win or gap.

So would I be right in saying in the hypothetical situation, the winner wouldn't be s/t because of the 3s gap rule?

I don’t get the vibe they’re going for records tomorrow. Pog may want to test out the engine in the high mountains though.
Agree. Unless it’s changed in recent years the “big guys” usually only used these races to test their progress towards the level they wanted in grand tours.

Having said this Vingegaard was very impressive in winning O Gran Camino and T/A. Pog might also want to deliberately measure his efforts in his first stage race of the season as he wants to give himself a good shot at attempting the unthinkable - the double.

Yeah also meant in the case of a sprint stage, and someone attacks 1.5km out and wins by 5s, it feels wrong that they are then put s/t by an unconnected crash in the peloton that had no bearing on their win or gap.

So would I be right in saying in the hypothetical situation, the winner wouldn't be s/t because of the 3s gap rule?
I think that is why it's normal with the 10 second bonus for the winner so the winner is rewarded for being first over the line, regardless of whta happens behind him/her.

Last edited:
It's not easy to beat such a record by over a minute considering the names that participated in the past. 29 minutes would mean 1775 m/h of VAM on a 7.6% climb (circa 6.4 w/kg). Normally it's plausible but this elevation can hamper performance by like 0.2 w/kg compared to a climb 1000 m lower. My guess is around 29'30''.
Those times seem to be highly dependant on the pace of the peloton or a team train before a rider attacking.

Terrible tactics from UAE. Again. Smoke their own riders too early. As we have already seen several times this season. Also Saturday in Milano-San Remo. And Almeida who again proved not to be very smart. After the descent, there was no one from UAE to be seen outside Pogacar. He then started his final rush much too late on the sloping finish. It is clear that Pogacar now looks frustrated and irritated. Third in San-Remo. Second yesterday due to his own fault. But that's bad news for the opponents. I am sure that today on the final climb he will not ride like wheel sucker Roglic normally does. By attacking or jumping only the last few hundred meters. Pogacar will attack relatively early on the final climb and not only win but also gain a lot of time on the opponents. Good for the spectacle !