• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta '20: Stage 1: Irún - Arrate. Eibar (10/20/2020)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Froome to be out of contention after this stage and go all in to help Carapaz. He may end up going in the break for a stage win at some point to prove to himself he still has it. Valverde should come nowhere near winning this Vuelta, top 10 as per usual for him. I'm gonna go for Pinot to prove that he can get another podium in a GT then he needs to get away from FDJ for a change. As for the win, just need to look at the Giro to see that it could be anyone..

But Valverde :D:D

Is your mother attending?

• Haha
Reactions: wheresmybrakes
Pinot has done Arrate twice at Pais Vasco, he finished same time as Purito in '15 and '16. He may not be the winner, but he'll be close.

Roglic? Possibly. Not sure. If so, he'll be feeling the odor of a goat or a donkey breathing down his neck.

Froome is the question mark. Carapaz will be there, and a 30" difference will establish the pecking order.

Pinot has done Arrate twice at Pais Vasco, he finished same time as Purito in '15 and '16. He may not be the winner, but he'll be close.

Roglic? Possibly. Not sure. If so, he'll be feeling the odor of a goat or a donkey breathing down his neck.

Froome is the question mark. Carapaz will be there, and a 30" difference will establish the pecking order.
Do you believe in Pinot's "i am riding for Gaudu" words? Sounds like a decoy for me

Nope, but last time I wanted to make a silly prediction was Pogacar pulling a Lemond on the final Tour ITT. I didn't post anything and it happened.

So I'm not gonna hold back. It's 2020 after all.
I wanted to write "the obvious Simon Clarke's win is obvious" in the thread of the 2018 Vuelta stage he won but I decided not to in order to not give people a reason to mock EF for lack of wins. He won and I lost a chance to make a glorious prediction. :(

I did predict Bettiol's 2019 Flanders win, though. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: SafeBet
Well he beat an in form Roglic in a reduced group sprint earlier this season so it’s not that left field a call.
Yes but that was a sprint of 70 riders. He is fast but you need to be there to contest the sprint. On Arrate there will probably be 5 or maximum 10 riders battling for the win in the finale. I don't expect Bagioli to be among those riders.

Also more than a fast sprint, timing and knowing the road in the last km will be important for those who want to win. Usually the one who leads in the last couple of hundred meters, wins.

Reactions: SafeBet
Do you believe in Pinot's "i am riding for Gaudu" words? Sounds like a decoy for me
It was the plan before the crash. The GFdJ vid on their site today is about Tinopino bouncing back. But Gaudu will be given a shot. The problem is: Gaudu can lose three minutes to a real Rod or Dumo. Or Froome, the zombie that all predictions overlook. I'm one who thinks that Portal was buried with his suitcase, but I lived in '18, saw that, melted down, and resigned as a mod.

In the long run, Gaudu will deliver. Until he does track, builds an engine, he's no safe bet. PInot remains the guy.

Team composition has evolved, more punchers than rouleurs now. Thibaut and David are ticked off after the crash and a miserable TdF. I believe that they can use it for motivation, and Madiot, twice PR winner knows about cycling.

Very strong winds in the area today, and a bit of rain, although the forecast suggests it won't rain in the stages end. But wind gusts of about 80km/h can be expected.

Froome taking of his rain jacket on top of the penultimate climb at the beginning of the downhill aaaaannnd...snap cracle pop goes the other leg..:mask::eek::mask: Well really really let's hope not.

Indeed I could give up my almost unused shimano blue cleats for Froome going for some stages and GC podium. Win is a podium too, people! :cool:

TRENDING THREADS