• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2011

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Vuelta ya

luckyboy said:
Piti's was backdated to Jan 1st though, so all 2010 results were wiped.

If they're going to wipe AC's Tour, then the ban should start from when he tested positive, yes.

luckyboy is right !!!! Berto will even wave his TdF title for that matter if TAS/CAS comes to the same conclusion. That's why the pres of the Spanish fed. had to say this today:

"RFEC president says sanction length not determined yet, but Tour title almost certainly gone"

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7...ns-winner-of-the-2010-Tour.aspx#ixzz1CGjRUyAP

DAOTEC said:
luckyboy is right !!!! Berto will even wave his TdF title for that matter if TAS/CAS comes to the same conclusion. That's why the pres of the Spanish fed. had to say this today:
"RFEC president says sanction length not determined yet, but Tour title almost certainly gone"

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7...ns-winner-of-the-2010-Tour.aspx#ixzz1CGjRUyAP

Yet Pat says Contador will keep his points for the Tour and Saxo, their PT pass:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-says-saxo-bank-will-not-lose-contadors-ranking-points
Ludicrous hypocrisy.
Geox anyone?

I've been looking at the Vuelta parcours for this year on the official website and apart from the lack of TT (though having the ITT earlier I think is better than at the end) I think it is great.

They have really mixed up the mountain stages, with many interesting 'medium' ones. It also is not backended, which is a nice change for a GT.

Many stages are not particularly tough, but have the climbs situated towards the end of the stage, not wasting them as the TDF sometimes does.

Stage 1: 16km TTT.
Stage 3: Cat 3 climb near finish.
Stage 4: Cat 3, 1 and 1 (MTF).
Stage 5: Cat 2, 2 (near the end), then a small 500m 27% wall. EPIC.
Stage 6: Cat 2 near end with steep descent finish.
Stage 8: Cat 1, 2, 2, 3, then another small, steep wall of 20% +. Brilliant.
Stage 9: Straight forward Cat 1 MTF.
Stage 10: 40km ITT. Flat.
Stage 11: Hilly all day, before a 30 km MTF!
Stage 13: Many climbs, but nothing significant near finish. :-(
Stage 14: Cat 2, 1, 1 (MTF). All taking place in last 80kms. :)
Stage 15: Angliru. Nuff said.
Stage 17: Cat 2, 2, 1 (MTF, 6kms 10%), all in last 70kms. Fantastic stage.
Stage 18: More medium mountain madness, though not as tough as some.
Stage 19: See above, but better. Cat 2 only 14kms from finish.
Stage 20: Further medium mountains with last climb a Cat 1, but with still nearly 50kms to go thereafter.

If you put a long ITT instead into stage 20 then you have virtually the perfect parcours.

gregrowlerson said:
I've been looking at the Vuelta parcours for this year on the official website and apart from the lack of TT (though having the ITT earlier I think is better than at the end) I think it is great.

They have really mixed up the mountain stages, with many interesting 'medium' ones. It also is not backended, which is a nice change for a GT.

Many stages are not particularly tough, but have the climbs situated towards the end of the stage, not wasting them as the TDF sometimes does.

Stage 1: 16km TTT.
Stage 3: Cat 3 climb near finish.
Stage 4: Cat 3, 1 and 1 (MTF).
Stage 5: Cat 2, 2 (near the end), then a small 500m 27% wall. EPIC.
Stage 6: Cat 2 near end with steep descent finish.
Stage 8: Cat 1, 2, 2, 3, then another small, steep wall of 20% +. Brilliant.
Stage 9: Straight forward Cat 1 MTF.
Stage 10: 40km ITT. Flat.
Stage 11: Hilly all day, before a 30 km MTF!
Stage 13: Many climbs, but nothing significant near finish. :-(
Stage 14: Cat 2, 1, 1 (MTF). All taking place in last 80kms. :)
Stage 15: Angliru. Nuff said.
Stage 17: Cat 2, 2, 1 (MTF, 6kms 10%), all in last 70kms. Fantastic stage.
Stage 18: More medium mountain madness, though not as tough as some.
Stage 19: See above, but better. Cat 2 only 14kms from finish.
Stage 20: Further medium mountains with last climb a Cat 1, but with still nearly 50kms to go thereafter.

If you put a long ITT instead into stage 20 then you have virtually the perfect parcours.

Its good, but compared to the Giro both the Tour and Vuelta look weak. Its not their fault, they dont have the dolomites, but i just feel a bit sad when i try to compare other gts to this Giro.

The big problem imo though is that the mountain stages pretty much end week 2 / begining of week 3 so we have the boring stages towards the end and i preffer the good stages towards the end.

But Sierra nevada (is that what its called) on stage 4, right next to the coast looks epic. I find it amazing that you can have a skiing resort spitting distance from 40 degree c beeches.

There are a mindblowing number of great climbs the Vuelta rarely, if ever, uses. They could put together a route to best the Giro if they really wanted to, and were willing to take the risks away from the well-known climbs and cities that host year after year (Córdoba, Jaén, Burgos, Ávila). And I am rather disappointed at the Basque stages, as with 40km flat after Urkiola it kind of negates a grand finale. Rest assured I'll be going ballistic on the roadside nevertheless.

Hitch - Sierra Nevada is often used and not especially close to the sea from the side they climb it. They could try something like Haza del Lino for that - the Polopos side starts literally on the seafront in La Mamola.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sO_he7Rm5I

16km @ 8%!

Libertine Seguros said:
There are a mindblowing number of great climbs the Vuelta rarely, if ever, uses. They could put together a route to best the Giro if they really wanted to, and were willing to take the risks away from the well-known climbs and cities that host year after year (Córdoba, Jaén, Burgos, Ávila). And I am rather disappointed at the Basque stages, as with 40km flat after Urkiola it kind of negates a grand finale. Rest assured I'll be going ballistic on the roadside nevertheless.

Hitch - Sierra Nevada is often used and not especially close to the sea from the side they climb it. They could try something like Haza del Lino for that - the Polopos side starts literally on the seafront in La Mamola.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sO_he7Rm5I

16km @ 8%!

It's more like 18km at 7,1%, but still very tough.

haza-del-lino-polopos.jpg

It's not the hardest side of that mountain though:

HazaLino1.gif

The possibilites of that climb are really endless. The Vuelta MUST use it.

http://plataformarecorridosciclistas.org/2010/02/06/haza-del-lino-y-puerto-camacho/

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
oooohhh I can't wait. I am 95% certain I will have the fortunate opportunity to experience Angliru up close and in person! I love the Giro but I CANNOT wait till early September!

Ryo Hazuki said:
yeah so unipublic decides I think. they have majority.

Yes, but ASO plays an important role. Skil was their proposal and they bid for it, and Unipublic agreed. Had ASO not been in the mix they would have chosen Colombians or FDJ (who still have a remote chance though, as their also sponsored by ASO).

They say they don't want to invite Caja Rural since they want only consolidated team structures in the race, but they'll have their chance next year most probably.

Skil deserves one GT invitation every season. Can't wait to see Kittel up against some really good sprinters.

Andalucia is such a weak team in every regard (performance, ethics, sexyness) it's unbelievable they're invited year after year. I'd prefer Caja Rural instead. They're in their second season and have a long tradition of running extremly successfull amateur squads. This is settled enough.

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Skil deserves one GT invitation every season. Can't wait to see Kittel up against some really good sprinters.

Andalucia is such a weak team in every regard (performance, ethics, sexyness) it's unbelievable they're invited year after year. I'd prefer Caja Rural instead. They're in their second season and have a long tradition of running extremly successfull amateur squads. This is settled enough.
Definitely agree. Caja Rural really enlivened the Volta last year and so far this year the performances of Moreno and Herrada plus the sprint consistency of Galdos and Sobrino have far outstripped Andalucía's achievements. However, Caja Rural are based in Navarre, which isn't hosting the Vuelta this year (plus has another team in the race - Movistar - anyway), whereas there are a few stages in Andalucía. Never underestimate the power of regional draw - especially early in the race. Which does make it weird they're doing such a big job of Galicia this year now Xacobeo have disbanded.
Bavarianrider said:
Is there actually anyone outside of spaine who cares about this race anymore:confused::confused:
Yes. More people care about the Vuelta than California, at least! The Vuelta may be less important than the Worlds, the monuments, the other two GTs and so on - but it's still more important than most other races on the planet.
TeoSheva said:
no way... Van Hummel will be the sprinter...
They're finishing on Sierra Nevada on stage 4. After that, Kittel will be the sprinter.