• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 10: Ponteareas > Sanxenxo (190 kms)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Degenkolb is one angry sprinter. Very little side to side movement, just an irate bobbing up and down.

Good win for him as it seemed like he was at the front from a long way out and nobody could come around him.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
Degenkolb is one angry sprinter. Very little side to side movement, just an irate bobbing up and down.

Good win for him as it seemed like he was at the front from a long way out and nobody could come around him.

....and he's just 23

....and he's way more than just a sprinter.

Can you say "Superstar in the making"? :p

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Geraint Too Fast said:
Have Greenedge given up doing leadouts?

On the one hand, nearly everyone in their whole squad is a sprinter or leadout man.....

...on the other hand, to quote myself two weeks ago: leading out Allan Davis is the definition of the word futility.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Winner not surprising, but Sky using up their team for Swift is very strange (compared with the TdF sprints, for example). Why not have one rider to protect him and let other teams take the wind?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Geraint Too Fast said:
:eek:

Im Surprised no one else saw Henao go out the back with 8km to go, Sky were leading the peloton and the chase.....

2 top 10s for swift aquired by eliminating Uran and Henao as GC threats!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
gilbertador said:
Im Surprised no one else saw Henao go out the back with 8km to go, Sky were leading the peloton and the chase.....

Holy cow!:eek:...but you know,they dont need WT points:D:D

Publicus said:
I think it goes back to when he was recovering from his aneurysm (I forget the name of the disease). He read Lance's book and it inspired him. I'm glad he's being honest about it actually. If he said something like Indurain (who was known solely for his ITT) then it would have come across as fake IMO.

This exactly

hrotha said:
Lol at Sky. Save your energy for later in the Vuelta? That's for ***. Let's all ride for Swift, who hasn't come even close to winning so far.
Everybody knows is a cover up, right gilbertador?

gilbertador said:

It was pretty obvious that Sky just wanted to keep Froome out of trouble until 3km to go. There was no attempt at a lead out for Swift, in fact he's been completely on his own in the last few km's of 3 out of the 4 sprints so far. The only time they tried a proper lead out was on the motor racing circuit when Froome dropped Swift off with 500m to go (not ideal to say the least!).

May 19, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
GREAT
Another chance for alien CF to waste energy to do massive work for BS before important ITT:D
as predicted:D
just great job by SKY, last flat stage they killed Uran and got BS 10, this flat they killed sergio henao and got BS 9. At least they are improving:p
And Uran and Sergio have to devote whole heart to CF in the coming up mountains!!!

I tend to agree about the hard to fathom Sky tactics.
Seems a total waste of effort, to me.

However, with all the repetitive Sky bashing from the same, few
usual suspects, Argos and Degenkolb are getting a free ride.
They have completely dominated the flat stages, yet have attracted
zero criticism from anybody, especially those who claim they have an issue with teams being boringly predictable.:rolleyes:

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
I tend to agree about the hard to fathom Sky tactics.
Seems a total waste of effort, to me.

However, with all the repetitive Sky bashing from the same, few
usual suspects, Argos and Degenkolb are getting a free ride.
They have completely dominated the flat stages, yet have attracted
zero criticism from anybody, especially those who claim they have an issue with teams being boringly predictable.:rolleyes:

that is because sprint field is so weak, hardly any significant competition for Degenkolb. I guess after all it is smart move for Argos to serve him for Vuelta. Although I disagree.

maxmartin said:
that is because sprint field is so weak, hardly any significant competition for Degenkolb. I guess after all it is smart move for Argos to serve him for Vuelta. Although I disagree.

I don't know why you'd disagree. Degenkolb isn't in the class of the very top fast men on a flat finish, at least at this point in his career. Here though he can beat up on a field of kids, has-beens and never-weres. And because he can deal with the tough stuff (indeed he's better on it than on the really easy finishes), this Vuelta suits him perfectly.

He's a lot better off coming away with a big collection of Vuelta wins than he is scraping a couple of thirds in the Tour.

Zinoviev Letter said:
I don't know why you'd disagree. Degenkolb isn't in the class of the very top fast men on a flat finish, at least at this point in his career. Here though he can beat up on a field of kids, has-beens and never-weres. And because he can deal with the tough stuff (indeed he's better on it than on the really easy finishes), this Vuelta suits him perfectly.

He's a lot better off coming away with a big collection of Vuelta wins than he is scraping a couple of thirds in the Tour.
Degenkolb will be massively overrated as a sprinter after this Vuelta. There'll probably be people thinking he's at the level of Cavendish and Greipel - which he quite simply isn't. The competition in this Vuelta is pretty much non-existent. I mean, beating Bouhanni, Meersman, Cardoso and Mondory in a sprint is a decent performance, but that's normally the kind of competition one would get in "small **** races" like Tour de Langkawi.

TRENDING THREADS