Vuelta 2012, Stage 11: Cambados > Pontevedra I.T.T. (39,4 kms)

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
RVPRVP said:
Yes but this is my point,can he do better in strong fields ?
Next year for example you know he will do the tour are you telling me that with Gesink's climbing ability he can get a podium or win?.
If he gets back to his best level...
This is definitely not his best level. I'm confident he was better than this in Suisse and California.
Ofcourse the competition here is better. But he also finished behind Roche, Anacona etc in mountain stages so far. He wouldn't in Cali/Suisse form.

Don't forget the Vuelta was also a emergency goal after the Tour fall. This is Gesink, after leg break, on a good level, but not his best level of this year. And definitely not his best ever form.
So I wouldn't say much about his climbing ability until next year. Period.
 

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
45
0
0
The Hitch said:
Purito will retire as the greatest rider never to win a gt or monument or worlds/olympics
How you so sure he is clearly in form of his life right now he could win this if he does the Giro tactic and he hold's Contador's wheel .
Its just a shame with Froome the guy is cooked he will only get worse now.
 
Mar 22, 2010
908
0
0
The Hitch said:
You should be Ecstatic. Contaodor is basically leading (when has any stage race let alone gt ever been decided by 1 second), without the pressures of leading - red jersey.

And his terrain, is still to come.
That's about how I look at it. AC couldn't be any closer to leading without the burden of leading. But that may only be a 1 day 'reprieve'. Can't think of a time I actually wanted to download a TT. I HATE WORK!
 
luckyboy said:
I think I'm missing something with the 'insult to cycling' stuff?
Carols said:
Me also...I enjoyed the Giro especially Rabottini's epic ride. The Tour was ok; just barely.

But 4 GC guys going at it every non-sprint stage sure is a lot more exciting to watch, at least for me!!!
What icefire said.

But again, I'll expand my views when all is said as done.
 

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
45
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Ifhe gets back to his best level... This is definitely not his best level. I'm confidenthe was better than this in Suisse and California. Ofcourse the competitionhere is better. Buthe also finished behind Roche, Anacona etc in mountain stages so far.He wouldn't in Cali/Suisse form. Don't forget the Vuelta was also a emergency goal after the Tour fall. This is Gesink, after leg break, on a good level, but not his best level of this year. And definitely not his best ever form. So I wouldn't say much about his climbing ability until next year. Period.
I give up i got my views you got your's even at his best level he wouldn't live with Froome or Contador,the reason i have not mentioned Valverde or Purito is because all the stages suited them more than gesink.No doubt ill be called a troll or something im not hating just my view's you cant use the Tour fall as an excuse he was brilliant in the olympics,its not like Froome and Valverde had good prep isit.They both completed the Tour,Gesink after his fall was coming in mins down and then left .So im pretty sure they had worse preperation.
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
Descender said:
I can't believe people are still talking about Gesink as a legit GT threat... what the hell has Gesink ever done to deserve that consideration??

He's a second-tier climber, that's what he is. Period.
I can understand the frustration of his fans. He wasn't a second-tier climber in the Vuelta 2009, and with Valverde, Samu and Evans, he wasn't racing against a list of second-tier GT riders.
 

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
45
0
0
cineteq said:
this could be my next sig, if it proves wrong as it's likely to happen. :D
Do you really think it could happen Surely he can win a lombardia or world's this year.

By the way sorry for my rant at you earlier dude:)
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
The Hitch said:
Purito will retire as the greatest rider never to win a gt or monument or worlds/olympics
I don't know about worlds. This year and the next 2 years are completely suited for people like him.

Can't wait to see the spanish team on the cauberg riding behind each other.

Anton, Luis Leon Sanchez, Moreno, Purito, Valverde And Contador.

If that doesn't make you excited then I don't know what anymore...lol
 
RVPRVP said:
How you so sure he is clearly in form of his life right now he could win this if he does the Giro tactic and he hold's Contador's wheel .
Its just a shame with Froome the guy is cooked he will only get worse now.
i dont know this, but i fear it will come true as he has already podiumed Liege, podiumed Lombardia, podiumed worlds podiumed Giro and podiumed Vuelta (if we take out Mosquera), and not managed to pull off a win.

I would love for him to do it, he has been such a great rider, especially after his move to team leadership at Katusha.

And if he does it at the Vuelta he would surpass wiggins in both uci and cq, but i dont think he will hold off Contador.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Descender said:
I can't believe people are still talking about Gesink as a legit GT threat... what the hell has Gesink ever done to deserve that consideration??
Outclimb two of the four "big ones" currently leading GC, in other grand tours?

I understand two or three years is ages ago for some, but not for everyone.
 
Miburo said:
I don't know about worlds. This year and the next 2 years are completely suited for people like him.

Can't wait to see the spanish team on the cauberg riding behind each other.

Anton, Luis Leon Sanchez, Moreno, Purito, Valverde And Contador.

If that doesn't make you excited then I don't know what anymore...lol
Samuel Sanchez is not going to worlds :eek:
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
Miburo said:
I don't know about worlds. This year and the next 2 years are completely suited for people like him.

Can't wait to see the spanish team on the cauberg riding behind each other.

Anton, Luis Leon Sanchez, Moreno, Purito, Valverde And Contador.

If that doesn't make you excited then I don't know what anymore...lol
You forget that Freire tested his legs in those same roads back in April ;)
 
Dec 30, 2011
3,547
0
0
RVPRVP said:
Yes but this is my point,can he do better in strong fields ?
Next year for example you know he will do the tour are you telling me that with Gesink's climbing ability he can get a podium or win?.
Maybe, but there are other options, the Giro for example, focusing on the Ardennes, maybe on Stage wins....

Tbh maybe some of those are not very realistic are suitable for Gesink, but I get the feeling he isnt currently maximising his current potential.
 
Froome19 said:
Tbh maybe some of those are not very realistic are suitable for Gesink, but I get the feeling he isnt currently maximising his current potential.
The weekend stages suit him better, I wouldn't be surprised if he gains enough to contend for a podium spot vs. the big four. Mt. Baldy comes to mind.
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
Froome19 said:
Maybe, but there are other options, the Giro for example, focusing on the Ardennes, maybe on Stage wins....

Tbh maybe some of those are not very realistic are suitable for Gesink, but I get the feeling he isnt currently maximising his current potential.
His potential shouldn't be wasted in the Classics, he just has to target Paris-Nice type stage races.
He'd at least have a Worldtour GC victory going into the Tour, like the one he missed twice in Suisse.

If he's finally processed all the crashes and injuries next year, he could have some big results. I hate to say this,
but he should ride a season like Wiggins has done this year.
Picking out a few stage races, carefully building up towards the Tour,
and going to France with lots of confidence and a reason to be in front when the bad things happen...
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
Well Samuel Sanchez didn't break anything when he fell a week ago but I doubt he'll be there.

And yeah I forgot about Freire but i don't know. It's freire you never know but Spain should just dynamite the race and if it goes wrong hold valverde as their ace. No way that sprinters will survive when Spain goes crazy.

I can't wait to see the spectacle there. If Spain doesn't win it's pretty much a fail. It's time they finish it again in a WC.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY