• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 11: Cambados > Pontevedra I.T.T. (39,4 kms)

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Froome19 said:
It isnt really about the excitement.

Well a racing heart and anticipation followed by fireworks sure beats watching someone get towed by a train while I try to stay awake. Isn't is supposed to be fun to watch not sleep inducing?

I'll take madman Chiapucci any day in a big mountain stage over Sky al la Tour.

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Outclimb two of the four "big ones" currently leading GC, in other grand tours?

I understand two or three years is ages ago for some, but not for everyone.

And the two of the four is Purito and Valverde both in their 30's,less be honest i dont see them as a future threat in the GT Gesink will do.So good luck outclimbing
Froome, Contador,Schleck and Nibali i could go on and on.
Sergio Henao was shedding Gesink on the climbs in this Vuelta and its his first year in europe.

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
To be expected. Finsihing 5th would be good, all things considered.

Yeh if he get's 5th it should give him confidence for next year and he will have a full GT in the legs.Its just frustrating when you know 95% he will do the Tour.

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
maltiv said:
Robert Gesink: “I was going up the climb well."

Wait, what? He was 4th on the first time split, which was great, but then he dropped to 14th on the climb, losing a whole minute...

In the interview he gave he said the climb wasnt going as well as expected, but he drove as fast as he could uphill. That was all he could do he said.

I was hoping, after reading a dutch cycling site, all the bickering about Robert Gesink would be less on an international site, but i was wrong.
Its good to see a Dutch rider is bringing so many emotions to the cycling fans. Anyways, i see all these posts about being a second rate climber and all, and maybe he is, maybe he isnt, but hes there, top 5 atm, and i hope he can keep it. If thats not good then why are the other 175 riders even riding ? They might as well give up dont you think ?

If Gesink can keep this up, and make a little progression next year, he will be back up with the top riders. Right now, hes doing a great job of being the best of the rest. I think we Dutch people should be happy we have one up there performing with the best.

maltiv said:
Robert Gesink: “I was going up the climb well."

Wait, what? He was 4th on the first time split, which was great, but then he dropped to 14th on the climb, losing a whole minute...
He definitely didn't say that, which Google translated cycling website states otherwise?

His DS even said that they need to look at their equipment (I assume he means gear choice) because all of their riders lose time on climbs in recent time trials.

theyoungest said:
He definitely didn't say that, which Google translated cycling website states otherwise?

His DS even said that they need to look at their equipment (I assume he means gear choice) because all of their riders lose time on climbs in recent time trials.
The quote was from Velonation. Can't seem to find the article now though...

Perhaps their time trial bikes are far too heavy? Because it really seems weird that a guy like Gesink should lose that much time uphill compared to the flat.

theyoungest said:

Robert Gesink (12th): “I was going up the climb well. The first part of the descent was not good, but by then I was well into my rhythm. I did my best time trial and we have to make do.”

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...t-to-Pontevedra-time-trial.aspx#ixzz251h6COxg

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
maltiv said:
The quote was from Velonation. Can't seem to find the article now though...

Perhaps their time trial bikes are far too heavy? Because it really seems weird that a guy like Gesink should lose that much time uphill compared to the flat.
Yes, it's strange. He only had the 30th time or so on the uphill part, whereas he's among the 5 best climbers in this race. But it's not only this time trial where that's the case, and it goes for more Rabobank riders, so it's only logical their DS should ask this question.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
34th time uphill where Gesink lost 1 min 13 to Kessiakoff on the climb.

Compared to:
Contador - 2 seconds
Froome - 4 seconds
Valverde - 8 seconds
Rodriguez - 19 seconds
Moreno - 47 seconds
Ten Dam - 1 min 6 seconds

The only gc rider who did worse was Anton - 1 min 17.
Excusing Mollema who had his chain fall off.

TRENDING THREADS