• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 15: La Robla > Lagos de Covadonga (186,5 kms)

Fine, I'll open the thread again. You lazy *******s...

mapa15.jpg

15_perfil.png

Lagos.gif

To be fair to Unipublic this time, this is about as good as they could do as a lead-in to Lagos in terms of the immediate lead-in with Mirador del Fito. But really, Covadonga is overdue a layoff. Plenty of good climbs they could do in Asturias that could be connected to other climbs far better than this one, iconic though it may be.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Well we know Contador will attack but I don't know.

I don't expect that much from this. Monday is way more important.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
What sort of time gaps does Lagos de Covadonga usually create? I think all the action will happen in la Huesera, Contador must attack here and just once and simply keep pushing without looking back, if JRod is still there sit up!

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I think Alberto should try to do something otherwise Joaquim again fires from 300 meters to go, take up to 10 sec by pure time and bonus. Though, very likely everyone will save oneself for Pajares tomorrow.

this stage could be won from a breakaway.

The GC teams will be busy watching each other, but we know Saxo will whip the pace at the last 20k to soften some legs, for Alberto to try once more...
I do believe "Froome might surprise" in this stage because Lagos is actually suitable for him even better than yesterday's stage..

I think Sky should send Henao in the breakaway to either go for the stage or help Froome to bridge in Lagos...

well i actually love the lagos,its cycling history is special.gradients for modern cycling?not so much.probably as in the last years,a breakaway will take the win.... that if saxo bank won't go ballistic again
hopefully froome will come back to life tomorrow

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
He said he attacked today not just for today but to make future stages hard too

He doesn't need to do that if he has one superday but I doubt he'll get that day in this vuelta, maybe on bola delo mondo.

Anyway a break might survive tomorrow although once again contador will be eager to win a stage so yeah it's an old story but it is what it is.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
well i actually love the lagos,its cycling history is special.gradients for modern cycling?not so much.probably as in the last years,a breakaway will take the win.... that if saxo bank won't go ballistic again
hopefully froome will come back to life tomorrow

It has the gradients in the wrong place for modern cycling. The first half is hard, but the second half is spoiled by the short flat section after la Huesera and the two downhills.

icefire said:
It has the gradients in the wrong place for modern cycling. The first half is hard, but the second half is spoiled by the short flat section after la Huesera and the two downhills.

That's not too bad actually, as long as it is not 2-3% for a few km's like it was in that early mountainstage. It might mean earlier attacks than the last 2km, like we will see again the day after, because of the steep gradients.

I think we need normal climbs. An Angliru type of climb is fine, for one stage. But climbs with a percentage of 7-10% are the most interesting, in my opinion, as long as there is no headwind.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Apart from Heras spanking the rest in 2000, I can't recall a single occasion where nr 1 beat nr 2 by over 30 seconds.

Probably yet another scrap for seconds or even a group sprint of about 3.

Yep. If we want to see more than that we need to go back to the 80's. Lejarreta took more than 1 minute on Hinault, but we won't see anything like that again.

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
I think Alberto should try to do something otherwise Joaquim again fires from 300 meters to go, take up to 10 sec by pure time and bonus. Though, very likely everyone will save oneself for Pajares tomorrow.

if he keeps hanging in there and sprinting in the end i guess i will spend a lot of time in the clinic...
amazing how can he improve so much in suitained efforts and still be as explosive as before...

is lacking cancellara becaming as good a sprinter as cavendish and still being able to push 500 watts for 1 hour -.-

TRENDING THREADS