• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 15: La Robla > Lagos de Covadonga (186,5 kms)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I think that even if Alberto were on top form the difference would've been minimal, 20-30 seconds.

I dont tink so. He can gap purito - he has shown that - but he cant sustain it. A berti at 100% would be able to keep the pace up over fx 5 kms

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
What, did you expect Alberto to gain 1 minute? More even?

I had expected him to take about 1.30 on the TT. Purito did well to limit it to 1 min. On a flat TT it would have been a whole other story.

But it was pretty clear that Bertie has started out to strong. I mean he was ahead of Kessiakoff on the flat but lost time to him on the climb.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Probably Contador not at top form, possibly he has lost a bit due to a couple of possible reasons..

Ye u lose the edge after not racing for 1 year. It takes time to get that edge back. Now, I take it u refer to clinic talk but save that for the Tour. If he is still not back at 100% by then u can bring that up. But to expect Bertie to be 100% after 1 year is a tad much.

Cimber said:
I had expected him to take about 1.30 on the TT. Purito did well to limit it to 1 min. On a flat TT it would have been a whole other story.

But it was pretty clear that Bertie has started out to strong. I mean he was ahead of Kessiakoff on the flat but lost time to him on the climb.

I'm talking about the climb. On top form Alberto isn't that much better than this Purito.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
You're underestimating purito. He's better than he's ever been before.

He is good yes, But he is not imba great. I mean the gaps he put into Valverde and Froome arent breathtaking and he isnt gapping a contador on 95% apart from in the last sprints. He rides cleverly though. Uses his great punch to close gaps on the final km and to snatch all those lovely bonus seconds. Its his race to lose now.

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Cimber said:
Ye Berti is not 100%. He lacks stamina. The real question is if will hit 100% before the end of the race. I dont think so.

The real question is how much is enough. It's less than 100% but how much less? And can he still hit it. It will be very close call I think.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
roundabout said:
I wouldn't say that it's his race to lose now.

He is in the best position, yes. But 22 seconds is nothing. One worse day for him or one better day for Contador and they will swap places.

Ye exactly. Its his to lose (by having a bad day for example ;) ). But ye 22 secs is nothing.

El Pistolero said:
I actually think Contador can put some time into everyone else on the "easier" parts of the climbs. He's good at every mountain type finish, but I don't think he's at his best at the steepest parts. Remember Arcalis, Verbier and Etna? Those are his best performances on mountains in my opinion. Ok, and Plateau de Beille.

He looked darned good on the Angliru :)

Contador doesn't need to go crazy with long range attacks yet (not that those would be possible in this stage), but I think waiting until La Huesera would be a mistake. There's only a couple of hard kilometers after that before it flattens out.

The way I'd do it is Navarro does the 2 km before the sanctuary, Majka blows everybody away and Contador goes with about 10 km to go.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
Contador doesn't need to go crazy with long range attacks yet (not that those would be possible in this stage), but I think waiting until La Huesera would be a mistake. There's only a couple of hard kilometers after that before it flattens out.

The way I'd do it is Navarro does the 2 km before the sanctuary, Majka blows everybody away and Contador goes with about 10 km to go.

I think he is not able to attack from ten kilometres to go. Not yet.

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I still believe that Alberto will win, but I must say, I really like all of the GC contenders. They're scrappy, aggressive, and best of all, they don't whine. Well, Valverde did complain a bit about the crash incident, but that all seems to be in the past. It's not coming up time and again like a broken record....'fire in the belly' kind of crap.

Why can't this be the norm? Maybe the Tour de France needs a shake up of sorts. It has become so boring!!

hrotha said:
Depends. He can't do 10 km on his own against the group, but if Saxo blow things up and it's more of a direct duel, I don't see why he'd necessarily lose to Purito on a 10-km effort even if he's not at his best.
He can't because he's not the same rider he once was, pure and simple. If he wants to win, he must beat Purito at his own game.

cineteq said:
He can't because he's not the same rider he once was, pure and simple. If he wants to win, he must beat Purito at his own game.
Then he can't win, because no one will be able to shake off Purito in his current form in short efforts.

I still think we don't know how everyone will hold up to long efforts, because we haven't seen any aside from the ITT.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Depends. He can't do 10 km on his own against the group, but if Saxo blow things up and it's more of a direct duel, I don't see why he'd necessarily lose to Purito on a 10-km effort even if he's not at his best.

Sounds reasonable, but I doubt that Purito can be left without Moreno that early in the climb. And we have seen what Moreno has done for his boss in Andorra and Ancares.

hrotha said:

Another thing they could try was having someone in the early break (Navarro, Majka, Paulinho or Pires), Contador gapping Rodriguez after la Huesera and then a teamate helping him to keep the gap (which seems is main difficulty now). Obviously this would be really hard to do but well, one can dream :)