• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 17: Santander > Fuente Dé (187 km)

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
johnnycash said:
Purito dropped the ball not in yesterdays stage but in the rest day. While AC and his gang were out spinning, Purito was tucked up in bed.

Ok he let AC go and that was a fairly huge mistake, but if his form had held he would have been able to chase ad limit his losses, or even bridge to Valv and work together. He had nothing, it was painful to watch. AC was solo, if Purito was there or thereabouts he would have been able to do something, anything.

I really feel for Joaquim, he was robbed of the Giro at the death and its happened again here. I hope he can hold onto at least a couple of his other jerseys.

Contador, chapeau. I said on here that i didn't think his form would be that great at this Vuelta and possibly beyond but I totally stand corrected, unbelieveable ride from a phenomenal rider.

Shame for Rodriguez. Katusha were caught with their pants down but maybe the rest day did not help Rodriguez and it was a pretty chaotic stage. Even the commentators did not know who was where on the road. Rodriguez may not get that close again to winning a grand tour after narrowly losing the Giro and losing this one when he seemed to have it won. I would like to see him win one. To lose it on that stage when he worked so hard in the TT and on the hard mountain stages must be agonising for him.

johnnycash said:
I really feel for Joaquim, he was robbed of the Giro at the death and its happened again here. I hope he can hold onto at least a couple of his other jerseys.

Contador, chapeau. I said on here that i didn't think his form would be that great at this Vuelta and possibly beyond but I totally stand corrected, unbelieveable ride from a phenomenal rider.

It was the notorious one bad day for Purito i suppose. He didnt look that good yesterday sitting in what was left of the peloton and he couldnt hold Albertos nor Valverdes wheel when the tempo get up. But it was spectacular to watch indeed.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Regardless the bad tactics of Purito , I think Contador would have taken the Vuelta, the truth is that Purito was tired, we saw when he couldn't respond to Valverde.

If the general hadn't changed yesterday, I think Contador would have launched a kamikaze attack in the Bola leaving Purito totally cooked.

I heard that Purito was sleeping 13hours in the rest day, that's a failure it's better to recover by soft trainning, just like Contador did.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Spaniard said:
Regardless the bad tactics of Purito , I think Contador would have taken the Vuelta, the truth is that Purito was tired, we saw when he couldn't respond to Valverde.

If the general hadn't changed yesterday, I think Contador would have launched a kamikaze attack in the Bola leaving Purito totally cooked.

I heard that Purito was sleeping 13hours in the rest day, that's a failure it's better to recover by soft trainning, just like Contador did.

Me too, I can't believed when I heard.

Glad to see that Team Hindsight has made it to the thread. I will be looking forward to their comments on today's stage later on today so they can tell us that we should have known what was going to happen. Where do you lavish all your billions in gambling winnings? :rolleyes:

Spaniard said:
Doctor, thanks for enlightening us. Who would've thought that was the reason he lost the red jersey?

@PuritoRodriguez on 2nd rest day
"Día de descanso= Dormir de 00:20 a 9:55, desayunar,dormir de 11:20 a 12:45,rueda de prensa,comida,siesta de 15 a 17!!!! Y ahora masaje!!!!!!"

Around 1km after Contador's attack:

16687295.JPG

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
Doctor, thanks for enlightening us. Who would've thought that was the reason he lost the red jersey?

@PuritoRodriguez on 2nd rest day
"Día de descanso= Dormir de 00:20 a 9:55, desayunar,dormir de 11:20 a 12:45,rueda de prensa,comida,siesta de 15 a 17!!!! Y ahora masaje!!!!!!"

I'm not a doctor and I didn't say that doing nothing in the rest day was the reason of his perfomance, but it's better to ride a little in your day off.

Purito had a bad day, that's all.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Purito said he would give all his teammates a hug as they have worked very hard for him this whole Vuelta.

A hug huh? He should have promised a week's vacation in Monte Carlo or something.;)

Who knows what motivates the old man Menchov anymore.:confused:

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
No_Balls said:
It was the notorious one bad day for Purito i suppose. He didnt look that good yesterday sitting in what was left of the peloton and he couldnt hold Albertos nor Valverdes wheel when the tempo get up. But it was spectacular to watch indeed.

I don't think it was a matter of a bad physical condition. Purito didn't read properly the race situation. Intxausti made some wise comments after the stage. Movistar saw SBTB moving men to the front and they did the same. Katusha? Then, Purito said that when Alberto attacked he was just scared to go that early. We don't know if he could have followed Alberto's wheel, but he said he chose to stay close to his teammates. From then on it was first a TTT with SBTB better than Katusha (actually Losada). Purito asked Valverde if his teammates were going to wait him to chase and Valverde said that his team car had a different plan. After Losada dropped, the race was an ITT with Alberto better than Purito. It was a bad day for Katusha as a team. Moreno had a crash in one of the weekend stages and is not in top condition. And Purito was forced to put his nose in the wind for longer that he's ever done. Using his own words when he described the climb to Cobertoria, yesterday he couldn't hide as a rat behind two towers.

Spaniard said:
Purito had a bad day, that's all.
He didn't have a bad day per se, his team did. Otherwise he wouldn't have finished 2.38 off Contador without any help. If anything he should have followed, right away, Contador when he attacked, especially knowing his team couldn't help him. Decisions, decisions, decisions....