• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 19: Peñafiel > La Lastrilla (178.4 km)

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes forums suck.

Chances of Rodriguez beating Valverde on this finish? Not good. Chances of Moreno beating Valverde on this finish? Better. So it's clearly a good idea to let him do his own sprint and try to get a) stage win and b) the bonus seconds from Valverde. If you think in the last five metres he's going to squeeze the brakes in case Purito is in 4th then you've another thing coming.

This isn't PCM ffs.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Great win by Gilbert, He's finally showing some really good form right in time for worlds. With Gilbert, Valverde, Purito, Nibali, and Contador all looking in good form, worlds race should be really good.

kanari said:
The Worlds this year looks like it's going to be be an epic Belgium vs Spain contest.

Belgium vs Spain vs Italy (Nibali's looking in great form).

will10 said:
Sometimes forums suck.

Chances of Rodriguez beating Valverde on this finish? Not good. Chances of Moreno beating Valverde on this finish? Better. So it's clearly a good idea to let him do his own sprint and try to get a) stage win and b) the bonus seconds from Valverde. If you think in the last five metres he's going to squeeze the brakes in case Purito is in 4th then you've another thing coming.

This isn't PCM ffs.

Hindsight rules on this forum.

will10 said:
Sometimes forums suck.

This isn't PCM ffs.

I agree that's what i was thinking as well. Its not like when agnoli took the bonus from nibali where they had time to play with. Here moreno was fighting for the win and a bit ahead of rodriguez.

cineteq said:
He he, right he was 2nd. In my mind he won. :D so it was 6 sec. for that intermediate sprint?

Rodriguez was 3rd at the last sprint btw...

Een protest van ploegleider Adri van Houwelingen werd na bestudering van de tv-beelden echter gehonoreerd, waardoor Gesink vier in plaats van twee seconden cadeau kreeg. “Iedere seconde telt, dus we wilden daar toch wel even voor gaan”, verklaarde Van Houwelingen zijn alerte reactie direct na de finish.

After protest Gesink got 2nd place instead of Rodriguez.

Like I said :)

the asian said:
Yeh I'm kind of torn bw wanting him to win the worlds' and also wanting him under 1000 CQ pts for next yrs game.

Gilbert is probably one of the most obvious picks for next year. I don't think there will be a single team without Gilbert, unless they have some insight into Gilbert running into clinic issues early next season.

Just finished watching the stage; Awesome Phil finally finding his form :)

This Vuelta just won't quit; Valverde and Purito going at it tooth and nail....gain time on Alberto!

And tomorrow is BdM!!!! Yikes!!!

What a Snorefest TdF was in comparison!!

jsem94 said:
Gilbert is probably one of the most obvious picks for next year. I don't think there will be a single team without Gilbert, unless they have some insight into Gilbert running into clinic issues early next season.
Most obvious?!? I think a certain 20 points rider is THE MOST obvious ;)

And I will think an extra time before picking him, if he ends costing like 1300-1500

Carols said:
Just finished watching the stage; Awesome Phil finally finding his form :)

This Vuelta just won't quit; Valverde and Purito going at it tooth and nail....gain time on Alberto!

And tomorrow is BdM!!!! Yikes!!!

What a Snorefest TdF was in comparison!!

Yeup, about time for Phil. We should revolt and downgrade the TdF to the 3rd best GT.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Awesome stuff by Gilbert! That was 2010-2011 form right there.
Stage 9 was the first sign of Gilbert's resurgence, this was the confirmation.
I thought ben swift would overtake him in the sprint as he went out pretty early and had to drag swift along with him. But that was a real show of strength.
A real favourite for the worlds, PN and Lombardy now.
It will be very hard for him to win the worlds though.