• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 21: Cercedilla-Madrid (115,0 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maltiv said:
Will be interesting to see whether Valverde can steal the points jersey from Purito. In that case it'd be the second year in a row in which Purito loses the Vuelta's points jersey on the last day.

If not, he'll have won the points jersey+podium in two GT's in the same year. I assume that's a rather rare feat!
Purito can be very proud of his performance. The way he rode both grand tours is something we don't see often. Each time he came close to win it because he dared to attack as well as defend his weaker side. Brilliant in the mountains, he also gave his all in the Time Trials . Great cyclist.

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Dedelou said:
Purito can be very proud of his performance. The way he rode both grand tours is something we don't see often. Each time he came close to win it because he dared to attack as well as defend his weaker side. Brilliant in the mountains, he also gave his all in the Time Trials . Great cyclist.

At least the Giro he lost exactly because he didn't dare to attack, but solely rely on his 1 k sprint.

A2WWprECcAAQABz.jpg

Alberto's bike.

The whole team has red handlebar tape

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
If Igor Anton finishes today, he will score his first GT top 10 since 2007, when he finished 8th in the Vuelta. Incredible, what a waste of a talent :(

still nothing compared to Andy Schleck

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Arnout said:
If Igor Anton finishes today, he will score his first GT top 10 since 2007, when he finished 8th in the Vuelta. Incredible, what a waste of a talent :(

Well, he was leading the Vuelta 2010 when he crashed.

"waste of talent" are harsh words. Do you know for a fact that he hasn't done everything in his power to do the most of his talent? Maybe this is the most we can expect from a (clean) Anton.

benzwire said:
Did not know. They only let those guys out front for a very short time.

It's been a tradition at the Vuelta at least for the last few years to get to the Madrid circuit, then allow the retiring riders to go ahead to lead them onto the circuit. It's never a long escape as the actual racing begins on the circuit, but Bingen Fernández did it a few years ago and there have been others. It's just to give them the send-off of being the first into the circuit with the fans.

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
It's never a long escape as the actual racing begins on the circuit, but Bingen Fernández did it a few years ago and there have been others. It's just to give them the send-off of being the first into the circuit with the fans.

OOT a little bit, so what's the story with Alberto Contador and Joaquim Rodriguez when they were still riding in one team together? I think they used to ride for Liberty Seguro together is this correct? Did they get a long well then?
I sense that Alberto and Joaquim respect each other as far as being professional competitors but they are not close friends. May be I am wrong though :D

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
boladelmundo said:
OOT a little bit, so what's the story with Alberto Contador and Joaquim Rodriguez when they were still riding in one team together? I think they used to ride for Liberty Seguro together is this correct? Did they get a long well then?
Nope, they never rode in the same trade team.

TRENDING THREADS