• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 21: Cercedilla-Madrid (115,0 km)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
13vFj

Brought to you by Wikipedia.

boladelmundo said:
Yuck! The winner trophy looks really ugly.
Why can't they create something more artistic and not this glass?

Here's a giant fruit bowl for your dining room table, we picked it up at Kirkland's on the way over to the ceremony. :p We'll have some fake pears and apples shipped to your house, just write the address down for us.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Nice ceremony, good, relaxed atmosphere, makes you wish you were there in person with Alberto, who seemed very relaxed and no wonder with his experience. Agree that the throphy is dissapointing, the Giro one is the most distinctive. Viuelta should improve its own as it doesn't match a great GT that it has been this year.

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I feel like dejected now.
No more GT until next May, ufff...can't live with this. :(
So I guess the next big one is the World and then Giro di Lombardia then.

Wow crappy trophy......geez :(

What was with the JRod Campeon banner right behind them???? Fans holding it up???

What a Great Battle though over 3 weeks!!!! Definitely the most exciting GT of the year....why? Because a Champion like Alberto will attack, attack, attack until he finds a way to win...he will never lay down arms until it is over.

Bravo Alberto, Alejandro and Joaquim! THANKS for making the the last 3 weeks truly delightful...I will miss you tomorrow!!

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
In 2003 they did ;)

Yep, Wikipedia told me so, I just checked it :)
Actually, I read somewhere that they used to ride in one team and Liberty Seguros came to my mind, however I was wrong, it was ONCE Eroski, before the team became Liberty Seguros.

If I remember correctly, the article was related to one stage in the Tour de France 2010 where Alberto attacked, Joaquim followed him, then they both sprinted and Purito got the win, exactly similar situation as some of the stages in this year's La Vuelta.

In the article, Purito mentioned something like this: "Alberto knew that my top speed (in sprinting) was faster then his."

boladelmundo said:
Yep, Wikipedia told me so, I just checked it :)
Actually, I read somewhere that they used to ride in one team and Liberty Seguros came to my mind, however I was wrong, it was ONCE Eroski, before the team became Liberty Seguros.

If I remember correctly, the article was related to one stage in the Tour de France 2010 where Alberto attacked, Joaquim followed him, then they both sprinted and Purito got the win, exactly similar situation as some of the stages in this year's La Vuelta.

In the article, Purito mentioned something like this: "Alberto knew that my top speed (in sprinting) was faster then his."

Well IIRC, Contador only won a sprint against Rasmussen, his other victories are either solo or ITT, his sprinting is pretty much not a threat to anyone

boladelmundo said:
Would Paolo Tiralongo move to Team SBTB next year?
Alberto surely has to pay back something to him after that work on Stage 17.
No. Shortly after the Giro last year he prolonged his contract with Astana for two more years, where they (Astana) said that he was worth more now, as he could win stages in GTs. They are very good friends, but they have had their time as team mates IMO.

boladelmundo said:
I feel like dejected now.
No more GT until next May, ufff...can't live with this. :(
So I guess the next big one is the World and then Giro di Lombardia then.

too bad we are not like bears.... going into hibernation and waking up in time for the classics

edit: forgot say nice win Alberto! Looking forward to next July to watch him and Saxo derail Sky or at least give them a serious challenge so we don't see another snoozer.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Alberto owes him nothing. They're even now. Alberto towed Tiralongo to his first win after a decade-long career at last year's Giro, Tiralongo was paying him back.

Albero towed him to a win due to Tiralongo's work as a team mate, so those nullified each other.

Now Paolo has assisted Contador again, Contador is once again in his debt.

TRENDING THREADS