• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 9 - Andorra > Barcelona 194,0 km

Lovely finish to the stage. Could get quite interesting.

v-r9.jpg

v-p9.png

v-f9.gif

nogav1ca said:
http://www.steephill.tv/2009/tour-de-france/previews-results/stage-06/ (you can zoom in on map)
http://inrng.com/medias/vuelta/vueltastage9.jpg

Finish seems to be different. Comparing these two maps, it looks like this year's stage finishes before all those last curves from 2009 (these curves are just before 5 km to go mark).

I think steephill got it wrong, in the videos from 2009 you can see the race finishing in a left-hand bend, looks like the finish straight this year is exactly the same like in the Tour. They "just" didn't do the Montjuic in 2009.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
...just read the homepage interview with Valverde.

From where comes the fear of Gesink from Valverde? His memory of 2009? Weird. Even Valverde should know this is not the same rider and he's basically no threat. But whatever :D
Gesink is the only guy, other than the big four, who can podium. Main reason, I think he's peaking at the right time. :eek:

cineteq said:
Gesink is the only guy, other than the big four, who can podium. Main reason, I think he's peaking at the right time. :eek:

He's already 50 seconds off 4th place. Ofcourse you are right one or more of the 'top 4' could fade away because of fatigue (Froome), inconsistency (Rodriguez, Valverde) or lack of rythm (Contador). But I don't see it happening

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He's already 50 seconds off 4th place. Ofcourse you are right one or more of the 'top 4' could fade away because of fatigue (Froome), inconsistency (Rodriguez, Valverde) or lack of rythm (Contador). But I don't see it happening

really? I think more or less nothing has happened so far, gaps are still small and it's ~one week to go till the decisive stages are on the table. If Gesink and Antón keep on building up shape (while Valverde and Froome might begin to struggle) I still see both of them as a threat for a podium finish in Madrid

Meh. I don't believe it, the first 4 are so superior atm... yeah it's only short climbs so far. But...

As for Anton, he did much better on such climbs in the past. He'll start sucking again on tempo climbs. Only on very steep climbs like this his awful form doesn't seem to matter and his natural talent wins over. Like Arnout explained in the other thread

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Geraint Too Fast said:
One of Lotto's goals this year was to win a stage in all 3 GT's. Meersman will complete that goal here.

That's just what I was thinking. In fact, I have selected him for a Vuelta fantasy game. I also have Viviani, Breschel and Valverde in my team, but I hope this one is for Meersman.

TRENDING THREADS