• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017 stage 10 Caravaca to Alhama 164,8 km

Stage 10 Caravaca de la Cruz to Alhama de Murcía 164.8 kilometres

The 10th stage in the Vuelta a España goes from Caravaca de la Cruz to Alhama de Murcía. At 164.8 kilometres, the route takes in a huge mountain that's crested with 21.8 kilometres remaining.

One could argue the riders will turn wine into water in stage 10. Caravaca de la Cruz is famous for its Los Caballos del Vino fiesta, while Alhama (de Murcia) literally means ‘hot springs’.

The riders will not need the heat of the springs to get warm. Not only are they racing the southern part of Spain, the route features a tough two-stage climb to an elevation of 1,200 metres. Before they hit the lower flanks of the Collado Bermejo the race goes slightly downhill on rolling roads for about 100 kilometres. Perfect terrain for a bunch of escapees to try their luck.

The climb to the summit of the Bermejo is a two-staged affair. The first part is 5.7 kilometres at 5.8%, while the second part amounts to 7.7 kilometres at 6.6%. After cresting a 20.8 kilometres drop leads to the final stretch of 1 kilometre on the flat. The finish is near the El Pozo Meat Industries factory. By the way, El Pozo means ‘water well’.

stage-10-profile.png

Collado Bermejo is listed as 7.7km at 6.5% but the race has split the climb into two with the climb to Totana as 2-4% but there’s a 7% section to go before they tackle the second part of the climb, 7.7km at 6.5% but with a lot of 7-8% slopes along the way as the road winds up through the pine forests.
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

"Becoming cloudy with occasional rain during the afternoon. High 72F/22C. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%." Seems to be a chance of rain for the next few days. A 20 km descent in the wet ... could be "interesting"!

Clear breakaway win.

If Jungels (20-1) is near his best form I'd say this profile is perfect for him to win from a breakaway. Not sure about his climbing legs but maybe the cooler temperatures will help.

George Bennett at 150-1 is also enticing for a dollar or two.

Re:

Laplaz said:
There should be rain, right?
I am staying near the finish and there were thunderstorms early this morning with a reasonable amount of rain. Those storms have moved away to the coast although it looks very threatening to the south from where the storms are originating. The local forecast is for more of the same in the morning with rain 90% probability sunshine and showers later rain probability 80%. Max temperatures 27c. Max winds 12kph with gusts of 18kph The forecast can be wildly incurrate and the rain/ storms very localised. It will also rain heavily for a few minutes and then dry out very quickly , although under the trees on the lower park of the descent off the Bermejo the wet will stay for Longer. Similar forecast for tomorrow.
Keeping fingers crossed that it won't be too bad and everyone gets through safely.

The Barb said:
Clear breakaway win.

If Jungels (20-1) is near his best form I'd say this profile is perfect for him to win from a breakaway. Not sure about his climbing legs but maybe the cooler temperatures will help.

George Bennett at 150-1 is also enticing for a dollar or two.

I would agree that this is a stage for a strong rouleur who can handle steady climbs, so Jungels definitely fits the bill. There's also that Belgian guy from Lotto Soudal who spends half of his career in breakaways.

Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Alberto Contador will not win this bike race.
What's your problem? :confused:
Did he really just write contador will not win? Shocking! What an insult :rolleyes:
Tbh it seems like a rather expected reply after the 'Contador will win this bike race'-posts all over the place lately. There's nothing wrong with it, but it would be preferable if the Froome-Contador rivalry going on on this forum could decrease a bit. Its nauseating in the long run, especially this Vuelta. And thats on both parts.

Gigs_98 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Did he really just write contador will not win? Shocking! What an insult :rolleyes:
Yes, that was my point :rolleyes:
I don't think it's necessary to mock Contador fans like that, it's his last race so this new poster won't have to be bothered by posts saying "Alberto Contador will win this bike race" ever again in two weeks time. Let the fans have their fun while it's still possible. It just seems rather petty IMO especially coming from a self-professed "big Sky fan".

LaFlorecita said:
Gigs_98 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Yes, that was my point :rolleyes:
I don't think it's necessary to mock Contador fans like that, it's his last race so this new poster won't have to be bothered by posts saying "Alberto Contador will win this bike race" ever again in two weeks time. Let the fans have their fun while it's still possible. It just seems rather petty IMO especially coming from a self-professed "big Sky fan".
This.

Good stage design. A descent finish, nice.
Alberto Contador will win this bike race.

LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:

Me? No problem at all.
I really don't like Contador but I can't say I hate him.
And "he DOES deserve the honor of having Chris next to him on the podium".
I hope Berto will never again win professional bike race but my psyche is free of hate.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:

Me? No problem at all.
I really don't like Contador but I can't say I hate him.
And "he DOES deserve the honor of having Chris next to him on the podium".
I hope Berto will never again win professional bike race but my psyche is free of hate.
Yes. No hate. Totally. Just hope he never wins something again. Weren't you saying just a few days ago you thought it would be nice if the peloton gifted him the win on the final stage? I guess that doesn't count as a win, Berto would agree.

He deserves the honor of having Froome next to him on the podium*
It's sooo predictable... yawn
By the way Berto is an endearing nickname so...

* as long as Froome is on the top step

TRENDING THREADS