• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017 stage 11 Lorca - Calar Alto 187,5 km

Stage 11: Lorca - Observatorio Astronómico de Calar Alto, 187.5km
Wednesday, 30 August 2017 - At 187.5 kilometres, the route of stage 11 in the Vuelta a España travels from Lorca to Calar Alto. A flat opening leads to a sensational finale with the Alto de Velefique and a 15.5 kilometres toil to the astronomical observation post of Calar Alto.

A climb and a descent and we are 26 kilometres into the race. A flat section of 46 kilometres leads to the door of the second half of the race: Mojácar. From here on the roads will be going either up or down.

The party really gets started at the foot of Alto de Velefique. The climb opens with a first kilometre at 11.4% before the grades gradually flatten out until the last kilometre is merely a false flat. Yet, the 13.2 kilometres climb up the Velefique is not for the faint of heart. The average gradient from base to top is 7.3%.

Velefique is a former mining town in the Sierra de Filabres. In 2009 the place was finish to a stage with over 6,000 metres of vertical climbing. The now retired Ryder Hesjedal powered to the win.

The closing climb leads to the largest telescope in mainland Europe, sitting in the Observatorio Astronómico de Calar Alto at an elevation of 2,168 metres. The 15,5 kilometres climb is averaging 6%, while the ascent takes in a few double digits kilometres on the lower slopes. From kilometre 7 onwards the climb is irregular with steep stretches alternating with false flats and short drops.

The victor atop Calar Alto steps in the shoes of Roberto Heras (2004) and Igor Antón (2006).

stage-11-profile.png

Alto de Velefique climb profile
stage-11-Alto-de-Velefique.jpg

Observatorio Astronómico de Calar Alto climb profile
stage-11-calar-alto.jpg

Too many of these stages. Yes, it's a MTF but where are the multiple mountain stages? It's better than _____/ but not by a whole lot. I hope we get a thinned GC field though, cause right now there's like 15 guys in contention for podium spots.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

jsem94 said:
Too many of these stages. Yes, it's a MTF but where are the multiple mountain stages? It's better than _____/ but not by a whole lot. I hope we get a thinned GC field though, cause right now there's like 15 guys in contention for podium spots.

Bro there's 2 mountains. This is as multiple mountain stage as the Vuelta gets! :lol:

Best just enjoy it.

Re: Re:

deValtos said:
jsem94 said:

Bro there's 2 mountains. This is as multiple mountain stage as the Vuelta gets! :lol:

Best just enjoy it.
The Vuelta always lacks that IMO. They did get some nice stage designs in some previous editions though. Andorra 2015, Andorra 2013, Peyragudes 2013, Navacerrada 2015, 2016 Aubisque. We barely have one such stage this year though. Ah well, I digress.

Trek will either make this a stage for the GC guys or have guys in the break for Contador to bridge to for the flattish sections from 10-2km to go, after an attack at about 12km to go.

Second one makes more sense if Contador wants to really put it all on the line for a GC win, otherwise first seems more sensible for podium + stage win

Re:

bob.a.feet said:
This is the stage that finally eliminates all the pretenders from GC contention. It is assumed that Woods will be eliminated, but what about Roche and TJ? We will soon find out. Also I expect Lopez to get in to the top 10.

Nibali for the stage.
Worth noting that Lopez did his recon for the stage: https://twitter.com/SupermanlopezN/status/896115435363475457. Maybe he will attack tomorrow :p ?

Quite a lot of useful climbers in today's laughing group. Arroyo, Carapaz, Pedrero, Konrad, Buchmann, Dombrowski, Pauwels, Stalnov. In the 14'55 group, Mas, Navarro, Caruso, Monfort, Suaza. The name in that grupetto that piqued my interest is Rein Taaramäe. He's been among the bottom few throughout the race so far but suspect he'll come good over his problems at some point. Expect to see a fair few of these fighting to get into the breakaway.

The last climb could be deadly, but recent history shows that nothing happens early. Guys will drop from the back, some will not come back, we'll peel off the artichoke, no more. Big picture, nothing...maybe the day that TJ is the casualty though.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Skyborgs will kill this stage. Nothing will happen until contador's attack at 2 km to the finish. Fortunately we will have rain so froome will be in trouble

Unless something happens to the sky train on Velefique the only chance for a long range attack is having riders in the break. Even then I don't see anybody having the strength to hold off the train after being in the break all day. Attack from 2 km out from a reduced group.
If nothing else today is the day we find out who the pretenders are.

TRENDING THREADS