• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017 stage 11 Lorca - Calar Alto 187,5 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Optimistic prediction:
Carnage on the velefique where contador attacks. Nibali joins him after a brave attack on the descent and the two ride to the top of calar alto together where they cross the finish line holding hands

Realistic prediction:
Choo choo

Re: Re:

Tigerion said:
Jungle Cycle said:
Atapuma from the break...
My CQ team would certainly appreciate it

Krokro said:
Hope Orica starts to act like a team. Still wondering how are the Yates bros useful. This Vuelta started pretty good for the first 4 or 5 stages. Now, Im wondering if it's not gonna be a boring race for the following 2 weeks...

Usual whining, feels better now. You can ignore me!

This could be a good stage for Adam to do something. If he has the legs he should attack from the bottom of Alto and either force sky to use their doms early or be there for Chaves to try and bridge to for the flatter section. Might as well use him while he is still a GC threat

It could be a good plan. My concern is that I'd prefer to see them trying to animate the race with such talents (Chavito + Yatesx2 + Haig is great on paper) rather than following the wheels and irremediably cracking under Skys train pace, hence being a bit useless. It's not a question of being the best here, but a matter of tactical choices and growing some. But that was the concern when Orica unveiled their 2, almost 3, GC men comp.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Krokro said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Neither Froome nor Contador will win this bike race.
Chris doesn't have to and must take into account other stages, Alberto is too weak.

Successful break. Majka could win but would be so afraid about his legs that will wait for others. Pozzovivo FTW.

Finally Poels will wake up and Skyborgs train will crush most of GC contenders.
Battle between Chaves and Nibali for 2nd overall.

I'm wondering how one can feels sort of excitment when seing Choochoo in action. USP damaged cycling back in old days. Sky is doing the same, without the d*ping factor until now. To me, Sky is killing modern cycling, mainly in GTs. Not because they are simply better and androids, but the way they lock a GT to annihilate the competition to avoid any sort of show. Pretty disappointing, but as usual time will tell.

Hope Orica starts to act like a team. Still wondering how are the Yates bros useful. This Vuelta started pretty good for the first 4 or 5 stages. Now, Im wondering if it's not gonna be a boring race for the following 2 weeks...

Usual whining, feels better now. You can ignore me!

The main problem is radio communication between riders and DS and maybe watts computers.
But Sky doesn't lock the GT competition: nobody forbids other team to try to control the pace!
I hope Orica will try - that would be really interesting.Today probably would be wonderful opportunity at first climb when everybody would wait for the second one.
Yesterday's stage: Bahrain had their target (Nibali's attack on descent) and controlled the pace, wonderful, why not?

One more time, I agree with you on the bolded part. It's just a combination of finding the right way to crack them, taking some initatives, risking some top 10. Plus, as you said, the modern factor of cycling. It has became such a science with so many datas, watts, training peaks, reactive and conservative tactics related to the radio.

I'm raging but I don't have a real solution to change this issue. To me it's a real issue. I have, inherently, nothing against Sky. For example, when Kwiatko had this early season I was so glad for him. I appreciate Thomas as a rider and Moscon looks like a future great prospect. I just don't like the way they turn GTs.

To conclude: reducing team size, limitating radios or budget caps might be good measures to provide cycling with much more entertainment. But as long as the cash flows, neither UCI or ASO have to do it I guess.

Majka said yesterday that they had some sickness in the team but that's gone now and that today's stage is one he can go for.

Should be some decent climbers make the break today with that uphill start, so Majka won't have it all his own way, but he clearly is a big favourite for today.

I'd like to see Atapuma have a real good go here. A win for him would be lovely to see.
I can see Jungels and Dennis trying to go in the break again as they tried and failed yesterday.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
But Sky doesn't lock the GT competition: nobody forbids other team to try to control the pace!
Emphasis on try because if Sky wanted to they could out-pace any team at any time. It's the sad reality and why we need a budget cap.

Contador has cracked the code - a blistering 1-2 attack will derail the train - but you need brilliant legs and your teammate needs brilliant legs as well.

Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
I kinda have the feeling nothing will happen before the last two kilometers due to the flat section in the last climb. This could end up being a pretty big disappointment.

Anyway, Chris Froome will not win this bike race :cool:
Me too. The false flat is wayy too long for solo moves.
We will see the breakaway shatter up the first part of the last climb, but I guess we will see a small-ish group start the final ramp together.
In the GC group, I agree nothing major will happen unless a few GC contenders find a way to work together.

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain .... and in Lorca!

DIdygcAUIAEM_fP.jpg

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Nah, I do not think Kruijswijk will have it. He started the Vuelta with a cold and will probably be undercooked for the rest of the Vuelta. History with Kruijswijk learns that if he doesn't start a GT 100%, he won't have his usual 2nd/3rd week improvement either.
If he was in the top 15 in the short steep stages, I would have hope. But he even finished behind the top 20 on some occasions, so he doesn't have it.
I think he did good so far. If he doesn't get sick again, he'll be among the top5 cimbers in the long climbs.

mikii4567 said:
jsem94 said:
C A R N A G E will ensue if this weather continues.
Sounds good to me, I'm just waiting for EWP to kick in though.
If it's really this bad then I can't see Majka doing well, he hates rain & cold. Normally I'd say Spilak or Wellens FTW, but neither of them are here.
Really? I thought Majka did pretty well in the cold, I remember him doing well in the 2013 Giro, the race of disgusting weather.

Brullnux said:
mikii4567 said:
jsem94 said:
C A R N A G E will ensue if this weather continues.
Sounds good to me, I'm just waiting for EWP to kick in though.
If it's really this bad then I can't see Majka doing well, he hates rain & cold. Normally I'd say Spilak or Wellens FTW, but neither of them are here.
Really? I thought Majka did pretty well in the cold, I remember him doing well in the 2013 Giro, the race of disgusting weather.
Nah, on the whole he doesn't like it.