• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017, stage 13: Coín - Tomares 198.4km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
Jagartrott said:
Quickstep make it 5-5-5 in GCs this year. Amazing.
It's become a bit tedious now. They are controlling and sucking the life out of flat stages even more than Sky do in the mountains.
Well, flat stages have a lot less life to suck out, and often they do it by creating echelons or something like that as well.
Yeah, at least they vary their tactics a bit I suppose. But the results have become so inevitable that there's not a lot of suspense left. Today was just a question as to whether they wanted to give the win to Trentin or Alaphilippe.

Re:

burning said:
Moscon is really hilarious, he can pull back Nibali on mountains and can finish 2nd on a punchy finish.

I wonder what type of rider he will eventually end up as.
Meaning - he can clearly race in anything, but where will he specialize? Most likely options to me seem to be Ardenese classics or cobbled classics.
Moscon reminds me of Kwiat (who is currently the most versatile rider in the peleton) but better on cobbles (though Kwiat is no stranger to cobbles either, of course, and could be amazing at them if he really targeted them).

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Decent result by Moscon but he didn't get close to challenging Trentin who himself isn't a bunch sprinter. Vuelta sprints are just weird. I'm still suprised every year a big dog doesn't just turn up for the lulz and wipe the floor with everyone every stage.

Re:

deValtos said:
Decent result by Moscon but he didn't get close to challenging Trentin who himself isn't a bunch sprinter. Vuelta sprints are just weird. I'm still suprised every year a big dog doesn't just turn up for the lulz and wipe the floor with everyone every stage.

They used to more often.
Just look at 2010.
Cavendish won 3 stages.
Pettachi won 1 stage (all together he won 20 in the Vuelta)
Hushovd won 1 stage
Farrar won 1 stage

But since then there have been very few pure sprinting stages in the Vuelta.
Take today, for example. This was considered one of the few sprinting stages in this years Vuelta and even then it clearly wasn't a pure sprinting stage with the uphill finish (and Froome almost competing for victory).
Wilco Kelderman summed it up pretty well today after the stage: "It was a flat stage, but a Spanish flat."
Cav and Kittel wouldn't have won today (though sprinters who are slightly better at hills such as Gaviria and Demare might have).
Even if Cav or Kittel turned up in relatively good form to this Vuelta, they would only win a couple of stages.
So, with so few sprinting stages in each Vuelta and even then the sprinting stages being unsuited for pure sprinters it is no surprise so few sprinters turn up.

Then there is also the fact that (depending on the course) the sprinters sometimes build towards the worlds (like Gaviria this year) so skip the Vuelta.

All this means that so few of the pure sprinters race the Vuelta.

Probably even Geoffrey Soupe would've been the overwhelming super sprinter in this field. But he's leaving Cofidis and they've never ever ridden for him anyway. Guess there's the error.

Eventually Degenkolb turned up for the Vuelta. He didn't fell ill on purpose.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Probably even Geoffrey Soupe would've been the overwhelming super sprinter in this field. But he's leaving Cofidis and they've never ever ridden for him anyway. Guess there's the error.

I wouldn't call him a super sprinter, though he has 'exploited' the Vuelta. The sprint stages here are perfect for him and 10 of his 11 GT stages have been won in the Vuelta including 5 in (arguably his breakthrough year) 2012, and 4 (and the sprinters jersey) in 2014.

Re: Re:

Ruby United said:
staubsauger said:

I wouldn't call him a super sprinter, though he has 'exploited' the Vuelta. The sprint stages here are perfect for him and 10 of his 11 GT stages have been won in the Vuelta including 5 in (arguably his breakthrough year) 2012, and 4 (and the sprinters jersey) in 2014.
He's really well suited to the Vuelta definition of flat stages. Just like Zabel and Wüst have been in the past. Too bad he fell ill.

Re:

GraftPunk said:
Contador all day long!

I looked for the thread before my lunch break, but nothing was there.

I would have said: Bertie to take most of the day off, but stay at the front on the final rise.

Obvious Rojas win is obvious, (who could have guessed that Trentin would win :surprised:)

After the stage, all I could add is my traditional: Moscon is a monster, and roll on the weekend (although I'm going to be travelling).

40 Big Photos from Stage 13 — sirotti/aso/smith:
http://www.steephill.tv/2017/vuelta-a-espana/photos/stage-13/

151358_20170901VUE021.jpg

172025b_20170901VUE008.jpg

TRENDING THREADS