• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017, Stage 5: Benicassin-Ermita Santa Lucia,175.7 km

At 175.7 kilometres, the route of stage 5 in the Vuelta a España takes in four hills before the race concludes with a summit finish near Ermita Santa Lucia in Alcossebre. The closing climb is 3.4 kilometres at 9.7%.

Coastal town Benicassin is located almost 100 kilometres to the north of Valencia. The area is bursting with fruit trees – oranges, lemons, tangerines – and while heading inland the riders will see olive plantation and pine trees. Stage 17 in last year’s Vuelta passed through Benicassin early in the race.

The first obstacle is Alto del Desierto de las Palmas, a 2nd category climb that’s crested with 23.8 kilometres done. Via Alto de Cabanes (3rd category), Coll de la Bandereta (2nd category) they stumble upon Alto de la Serratella. This 2nd category climb takes the riders in around 13 kilometres to an elevation of 840 metres. The first part is steepest, the ascent flattens out near the top, while the average slope is 3.8%.

For almost 50 kilometres the route takes in rolling and descending sections before the riders hit the irregular closing climb to Ermita Santa Lucia near Alcossebre. At 3.4 kilometres, the hill is averaging 9.7%. At almost 15%, the first part is steepest, while the final 1,600 metres go up at 5%.

stage-5-profile.png

Alafpolak and Betancur ain't got the shape already. Otherwise they would be favorites IMHO. Lopez might be a good bet. But is he already that strong on short, steep walls against the likes of Bardet, Aru, Chaves, Roche and even Froome!?

Chaves might try to get red actually!

Re:

staubsauger said:
Alafpolak and Betancur ain't got the shape already. Otherwise they would be favorites IMHO. Lopez might be a good bet. But is he already that strong on short, steep walls against the likes of Bardet, Aru, Chaves, Roche and even Froome!?

Chaves or Bardet are my picks, Poels might be there in the end as well.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
The Yates might well set up Chaves. Again the sprint bonuses are up from grabs near the finish - 15 km out - so the Dawg might well go for them again.

Depends who is still with the lead group at that time and whether there is a break that succeeds to stay clear. I would think the other teams (i.e. Quickstep with Alaphilippe to support De La Cruz) have now learned to not give these up easy.

After what Chavito showed two days ago, he is my obvious pick for today. I don't know if the previous climbs are really demanding or whether Sky gonna steamroll it to get rid of most domestiques. One sure thing is that this short steep "Murito" doesn't suit classic Sky's steady pace set up.

Re:

staubsauger said:

As a neo, Lopez schooled Dani Moreno when he was still world class on short and steep.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Vuelta 2017, Stage 5: Benicassin-Ermita Santa Lucia,175.

Robert5091 said:
wheresmybrakes said:
I'm gonna be on the final climb today so I'll try and get some decent photos to put up. Aru to win!

Lucky you! Have you got any idea on which profile is right? :confused:

The more detailed one.

Never trust Vuelta profiles. :D

Actually a break could easily stay away. I think Sky will mark Froome's competitors very closely -- he did say he prefers to ride defensively. As for the final hill, ugh! Someone could easily lose 30-45 seconds in 3k, especially if they are feeling the heat (should be over 30 inland, no?)

TRENDING THREADS