• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017, Stage 5: Benicassin-Ermita Santa Lucia,175.7 km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I think there's plenty of time for Froome to falter. Just look at the course ahead.

CN's sub headline said Nibali cracked, but he really didn't lose much time.

Nibali has gone straight out the back on the 2 short climbs so far, it does not bode well. Contador looked good today, shame he was sick and lost so much the other day. Chaves looks like the only man who can climb with Froome, but then he can't TT. Still all to play for but its not looking great.

HBnbJiz.png

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Froome looks too strong, guys; something very unexpected would have to happen for him to not win.

I think it's a little early to say that, but he is not in red for lack of effort at this point. He's taken time where he could without blowing up. Still, a lot of racing left...

I think what happened to Sky at the base of the climb was that the curves and narrow chute just before the road kicked up caught them out. But no matter.

Re: Re:

Bolder said:
DanielSong39 said:
Froome looks too strong, guys; something very unexpected would have to happen for him to not win.

I think it's a little early to say that, but he is not in red for lack of effort at this point. He's taken time where he could without blowing up. Still, a lot of racing left...

I think what happened to Sky at the base of the climb was that the curves and narrow chute just before the road kicked up caught them out. But no matter.
I don't think anything really went wrong for Sky on the approach, they were right at the front when the climbing started.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

gunara said:
The camera works in the Vuelta, from year to year since I watched, is a constant reform to any editing and story telling technique known to human. Especially when having to deal with scattered breakaway groups with big time gaps from the main peloton, or uphill fast race in twisted short climb (which almost what it is all about), they often lost their way completely, showing the bend, or nothing at all, waiting from someone or some group to arrive at the empty spot then cut away. When you tuned in late, it's even worse. Wonder why. Who are these guys behind it?
That moto losing sight of the gc contenders on the final climb was just keeping a safe distance to the riders. I prefer that to seeing riders put to risk

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Finn84 said:
Moscon the new Landa.
Moscon already did similar efforts for Landa on short climbs, remember when he destroyed the race at the start of the final climb on stage 2 of the 2016 Giro del Trentino and Froome said that he had to tell him to slow down at the start of the final climb of stage 3, the guy's a monster on short climbs.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
The issue is that he has faded at the Vuelta in the past when peaking well at the Tour - this was obvious in 2012, last year he finished well but he faded in the middle of the race. He has historically gone strong at the start of the Tour then faded, though, whereas this year he got the form so he raced the Tour like he did the Vuelta in 2016, having a weaker stretch in the middle but coming strong again at the end. If he does the same he'll probably be fine, but he may also be thinking that since Contador and Nibali are both riders who tend to finish a GT strongly (Zakarin does as well, too) he will capitalize on his having form while they're still searching for theirs in this early phase of the race, and then worry about whether he can ship the red jersey to a breakaway at some point if he's concerned that a well-orchestrated week 3 plan like Fuente Dé, Pajáres, Cercedilla or Formigal could hurt his team if they've been having to pace the bunch all day for weeks like happened to Purito's team in 2012.

Moscon can probably chase a week 3 united front of Bahrain, Trek and Katyusha plus half a dozen Abarcá mercenaries on his own on the form he's on though, Jesus wept. Moscón is a very apt name for him.

Libertine Seguros said:
Moscon can probably chase a week 3 united front of Bahrain, Trek and Katyusha plus half a dozen Abarcá mercenaries on his own on the form he's on though, Jesus wept. Moscón is a very apt name for him.

Mos cón - do not weep. I'd be weeping if I was told to follow his wheel. Even Froome has problems in that field.

Good to see Bertie back in the mix. He and Froome will be happy with today's result. On an unknown, sharp finish the three musketeers from Orica could have gained some bonus seconds. TJ did well on a finish that did not really suit him, but Nibali would have preferred to limit his losses better.

There's still a long way to go, but Froome is in a position where he only has to match his opponents day to day. Those who don't lose anything in the mountains (Chaves) will lose time in the TT. With the backing of a strong Sky team, it looks like the only thing that can beat him is fatigue and it would probably still need a concerted effort to make use of that. Roll on the three musketeers (Orica used team tactics well last year to get Chaves on the podium).

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
The other big surprise of the days was that a sprinter like Haller managed to finish 6th on such an uphill finish from a strong breakaway, you'd think that he'd totally blow up on such a climb.

Soler is coming faster into form than what I'd expected, thats good to see. I didnt catch the stage unfortunately, but that camera work on the last climb was horrible and gosh Moscon is a beast.

This looks the by far best form Froome has come to the Vuelta in, if he can sustain it that is. I don't know if he can and if he can't especially Chaves will be ready to strike. The question is whether the two Yates' brothers actually want to sacrifice their utterly uninteresting wheel following strategy and help Chaves break up the race in week 2, for now its good to just follow on tho.

Had to run out for a ride immediately after the stage, so didn't have time to comment.
Great to see Contador back in action. Froome looks good and determined to finally win this race, but hasn't soloed so far, and it's not like he didn't try to. Chaves is good and I think he's just going to get better and better. TJ finding formula. Woods proving his talent.

And very poor coverage, have to notice.

Tank Engine said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Mos cón - do not weep. I'd be weeping if I was told to follow his wheel. Even Froome has problems in that field.
My intention was to be read as moscón, one word. Basically, a large mosca, or fly. Colloquially, an annoyance or irritating person.

Libertine Seguros said:
Tank Engine said:
Libertine Seguros said:

My intention was to be read as moscón, one word. Basically, a large mosca, or fly. Colloquially, an annoyance or irritating person.
Yeah I'd imagine he wasn't your cup of tea. I understand that. :p

Imagine Thomas, Kwito and Moscon just deleting the field in every terrain imaginable next year's Tour with Froome struggling to hold onto the wheels, gosh.

It also seems like Angel Lopez has become much more of a diesel climber these days, he is always going at his own pace judging by his latest performances in Suisse and Burgos. I reckon he will do great on some of the MTFs in week 2 and ride himself into top-10. He could also do with some more race days. How is he going in heat - quite well I assume?

Re: Vuelta 2017, Stage 5: Benicassin-Ermita Santa Lucia,175.

Good day for Astana - don't suppose they'll get more then stage wins here. Bertie is back! :)
Woods & TJ?! Strong by Sky again, interesting to see how it goes on a long climb.

Valv.Piti said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Tank Engine said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Imagine Thomas, Kwito and Moscon just deleting the field in every terrain imaginable next year's Tour with Froome struggling to hold onto the wheels, gosh.
Those 3 could make a mockery of the plan for 8 men teams to make it more interesting. Thats an 11 man team.

Valv.Piti said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Tank Engine said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Or when between Moscon and Kwiat and Poels and Henao they sweep the Ardennes, with two podiums in every race.

TRENDING THREADS