• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017, Stage 6 :Villareal to Sagunto 204.4 km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Climbing said:
Eclipse said:
shalgo said:
TJVG will be pleased to have lost only 17 seconds after all that happened to him, although he must have used a lot more energy in the final 40 km than most of the top riders.

I'll be impressed if he dodges a penalty for what must have been some impressive drafting given he was a minute back at one point after the first crash, then crashed again (seemingly off the back after something else given the cars) and still came in only 17s down on a sizeable group of leaders

Probably not, cause I guess that jury car had something to do with that crash as well.
I would be surprised if he does not get sent packing. Similar to Bardet in Paris-Nice.

StryderHells said:
DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Pft, I really dislike the Yates brothers. Aint contributing anything to the bike race at no points in the race, ugh.
I blame their team. The most conservative, negative, caluclating team in the peloton. We were saying the same thing about Matthews last year; now he's changed teams and is riding to entertain as well as just by numbers.

Did you miss last year Vuelta? I think this year they have been boring/negative but last year they were a much more entertaining team.

Today was a possible stage victory gone begging for Orica - Three riders in the lead group was the perfect opportunity to use your numbers - Instead they rode passively.

Re:

johnymax said:
On Eurosport Kirby and Kelly never even mentioned it was Betancur the rider who went down with Tejay. I'm not on the Betancur hype but it was nice to see him hanging out there with the elite climbers. I think it was ignorant and a little disrespectful not to recognise and mention the rider in that specific situation. We are talking about commentators who have years and years of experience talking about pro cycling.

Kirby was probably too busy talking about Froome. Can't expect him to actually commentate on what's going on the race. As for recognising riders...sooner they bin him for Rob Hatch (or anyone, actually) the better.

yaco said:
Today was a possible stage victory gone begging for Orica - Three riders in the lead group was the perfect opportunity to use your numbers - Instead they rode passively.
Riders pay for their efforts. It's why Contador is winning combativity awards nowadays, not actual races.

Orica podiumed at the Giro and Vuelta with Chaves last year, winning stages and riding plenty aggresive. But he's currently second, 10 seconds behind Froome. Not going for the stage wins just means they want to try and win a big one, and to do that, you've got to pick your spots.

yaco said:
StryderHells said:
DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Pft, I really dislike the Yates brothers. Aint contributing anything to the bike race at no points in the race, ugh.
I blame their team. The most conservative, negative, caluclating team in the peloton. We were saying the same thing about Matthews last year; now he's changed teams and is riding to entertain as well as just by numbers.

Did you miss last year Vuelta? I think this year they have been boring/negative but last year they were a much more entertaining team.

On the surface, yes, but how "cooked" were they ? Did any of them have the petrol to be able to not only get any real gap let alone make it stick ? Realistically, Haig was the only real possibility as both Chaves & AY don't have the flat-land engine and would be marked immediately. Maybe he could've been told to give it a bash and maybe there would not have been a reaction but would he have been able to bridge the gap ? Maybe he didn't have it either.

Maybe a stage win missed, albeit somewhat of a long shot but this is a 3 week race and this is only the first week .... and its been one that's been raced hard. Both Chaves & AY got "gapped" slightly on that last climb so they may not've been on particularly good days. It could've been a situation of them losing time, end result is that the only one of the the 4 that lost time was SY ... marginally.

staubsauger said:
Eyeballs Out said:
staubsauger said:
b.broadhurst said:
Bardet and Pozzovivo 7 minutes back.
Their tactics have been a complete failure. They should've allowed Geniez to join the breakaway yesterday and hunt down the polka dot jersey. Especially since Pozzovivo looked after Bardet anyway the last 2 days. Now, they're left with empty hands while Geniez certainly is a stronger climber than Vilella!
Geniez was apparently in the break today and got dropped on one of the Cat 3s
Ouch! That's weird given the way he raced in the Pyrenees.
After FDJ in July, another French team screws up on the big stage. Lavenu needs to eat a big slice of humble pie after his pre-Vuelta bravado "Bardet, like the Froomes and Contadors, will go for the GC", and yesterday's lame excuses that they didn't know that the murito was so steep, which comes across at best as admitting incompetence.

carton said:
yaco said:
Riders pay for their efforts. It's why Contador is winning combativity awards nowadays, not actual races.

Orica podiumed at the Giro and Vuelta with Chaves last year, winning stages and riding plenty aggresive. But he's currently second, 10 seconds behind Froome. Not going for the stage wins just means they want to try and win a big one, and to do that, you've got to pick your spots.
Couldn't resist a dig again, right?
If Quintana had been a bit more attacking in the Giro, he would have won it.
And Contador almost won the Paris-Nice by the epic attack on the last stage. (Would've won if Bahrain wouldn't have chased very hard for no reason)

StryderHells said:
Armchair cyclist said:
So De La Cruz never had caught up with the main leaders' group?

And why is everyone saying 17' loss for Van Garderen? It was 20

TJ finished with the De La Cruz group which was at 43 seconds back, the Froome group was at 26 seconds, that makes it 17 seconds

No he didn't. Majka, Arroyo, Lopez, Pellizotti and Van Garderen were 3 seconds adrift of the De La Cruz group, and therefore 20 behind the Froome group. That was in the official results from very early on.

SafeBet said:
Climbing said:
Is tomorrow last climb before the quick descent another murito?
Around 2 km at 7% I believe.
I am not sure if it is this one. Maybe Libertine can check it.

castillo65.gif

Blanco said:
Alexandre B. said:
Blanco said:
Arredondo said:
I really feel sorry for Tejay. I mean, for once he's riding with the elite guys :(

I'm really sorry for Betancur, not TJ, he caused the damn crash!
Really stupid on your part.

Why? Betancur is 15 min down and in hospital now, and the clown that caused the crash is perfectly ok and 17 sec down on leaders group!

Not really fair on TJ. Apparently Stentina came down in the same place and said there was a tree root or something - looked like there was also an AG2R rider down in the same place.

Escarabajo said:
SafeBet said:
Climbing said:

castillo65.gif
If thats indeed the last climb tomorrows finale will be very entertaining. I don't expect any gc movements like today but still there will surely be attacks on a climb with ramps like that

Electress said:
Blanco said:
Alexandre B. said:
Blanco said:
Arredondo said:
I really feel sorry for Tejay. I mean, for once he's riding with the elite guys :(

Why? Betancur is 15 min down and in hospital now, and the clown that caused the crash is perfectly ok and 17 sec down on leaders group!

Not really fair on TJ. Apparently Stentina came down in the same place and said there was a tree root or something - looked like there was also an AG2R rider down in the same place.
Agree.

Dariusz Baranowski who is a commentator for Polish Eurosport (and a former professional cyclist) said that Van Garderen's hands had fallen of the handlebar before he fell down and it looked like there was a fault in the road's surface.

Multiple of riders seem to have crashed in the same place.

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
StryderHells said:
DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:

On the surface, yes, but how "cooked" were they ? Did any of them have the petrol to be able to not only get any real gap let alone make it stick ? Realistically, Haig was the only real possibility as both Chaves & AY don't have the flat-land engine and would be marked immediately. Maybe he could've been told to give it a bash and maybe there would not have been a reaction but would he have been able to bridge the gap ? Maybe he didn't have it either.

Maybe a stage win missed, albeit somewhat of a long shot but this is a 3 week race and this is only the first week .... and its been one that's been raced hard. Both Chaves & AY got "gapped" slightly on that last climb so they may not've been on particularly good days. It could've been a situation of them losing time, end result is that the only one of the the 4 that lost time was SY ... marginally.

Could have sent Haig up the road when the peleton caught the break - Fresh rider in the breakaway group ? Think Contador was referring to Orica in his presser. Or if they put Haig at the front of the peleton, there is a chance Chavez can finish in the top 3 of the sprint which gives bonus seconds.

Gigs_98 said:
Escarabajo said:
SafeBet said:
Climbing said:

castillo65.gif
If thats indeed the last climb tomorrows finale will be very entertaining. I don't expect any gc movements like today but still there will surely be attacks on a climb with ramps like that
That isn't the profile.
The profile is this (only till the intersection at km 2) :
SanCristobal.gif

Electress said:
Blanco said:
Alexandre B. said:
Blanco said:
Arredondo said:

It is very likely. I know very well that climb (just figure where my nick comes from...) and the place where TJ and the rest crashed is full of big pine roots wrinkling the road.

Forever The Best said:
Gigs_98 said:
Escarabajo said:
SafeBet said:
Climbing said:

castillo65.gif
That isn't the profile.
The profile is this (only till the intersection at km 2) :
SanCristobal.gif
Ok. Thanks. I wasn't sure.

If that is the profile then I don't see much happening tomorrow.

staubsauger said:
b.broadhurst said:
Their tactics have been a complete failure. They should've allowed Geniez to join the breakaway yesterday and hunt down the polka dot jersey. Especially since Pozzovivo looked after Bardet anyway the last 2 days. Now, they're left with empty hands while Geniez certainly is a stronger climber than Vilella!
Both of your names sound like sausages.

Also, who was the Orica rider with red numbers and why did he have red numbers?

bob.a.feet said:
staubsauger said:
b.broadhurst said:

Adam yates is best young rider.

Escarabajo said:
Ok. Thanks. I wasn't sure.

If that is the profile then I don't see much happening tomorrow.
It is cobbled, however.

They used it in the 2006 stage (won by Samu in the same finish as tomorrow) and the 2007 nationals (won by Purito). It will make a selection but then probably be won by a sprint from that selection or an escape on the way back in for a small number of seconds.

bob.a.feet said:
staubsauger said:
b.broadhurst said:

Both of you names sound like sausages :D . Can't stop laughing! :D :D

Tonton said:
bob.a.feet said:
staubsauger said:
b.broadhurst said:

Both of you names sound like sausages :D . Can't stop laughing! :D :D
Actually my name means vacuum cleaner respectively aspirateur in German! :lol:

pastronef said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
Contador, wow just wow!

Froome bweeeeuuuh

tell me more about that

Well personally I think team sky tactis are bad for the sport but that's just my opinion.
Also the fact that he refused to ride along with AC and Pantano.
Why wouldn't he? He could've distanced chaves since he'll probably distance him on some steep climbs further on in this vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts