• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017, Stage 7 :Llíria to Cuenca 207 km

At 207 kilometres, stage 7 is the longest in this year's Vuelta a España. The route leads from Llíria to a promising finale in Cuenca. Steep climbs, cobbles and an ultimate drop are sure to bring spectacle.

Departure place Llíria is famous for its music. Two rivalling bands (wind orchestras) are going head-to-head like Alejandro Valverde and Joaquim Rodriguez in their best/worst days.

The pack heads west and shortly after leaving the town the riders enter the Castile-La Mancha region. At kilometre 51 the top of the Puerto La Motalbana comes with the first KOM-points of the day and Alto de Santa Cruz de Moya is crested at kilometre 88.7.

On rolling roads the riders travel to Cuenca. With 190 kilometres done, they hit the city of 57,000 for the first time. Yet, as Cuenca is divided into two separate settlements with a new and an old city this merely indicates that the finale is upon us. The old part dates back to Morish times and is surrounded by a wall, while it is located high across a steep spur, whose slopes descend into deep gorges of the Júcar and Huécar rivers. Small wonder the historic walled town is a UNESCO World Heritage Center.

Steep ramps lead from the new town to the old before the (bad) asphalt makes way for cobbles. In the picturesque streets the climb continues to El Castillo, which are the remains of an ancient Morish fortress. It sits high above the old and new town.

The climb up to the Castillo is 2 kilometres at 7.3%. After hitting the top and going under the old city gate a 3.4 kilometres false flat and a 8.4 kilometres drop takes the riders back to the finish in the new part of Cuenca.

stage-7-profile.png

finish -
stage-7-1km.png

Once again the sprint is at the end of the stage, just 16 km from the finish - weird!

Tonton said:
I really don't like the sprint so close to the finish...and the murito so far from the finish. It will split the main field tho'. If the BOD doesn't take it...Alaphilippe (again) is my bet.

I think Alaphilippe will try and win from the break. The BOD should succeed. The hill will split things up (if its a steady 7-8% and cobbled, it doesn't really count as a murito in my book). Again there will be a dash for the line and one or two GC contenders might be caught out and lose some seconds.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Trentin climbed very well yesterday and this looks like a wall he can deal with. Quickstep should put Alaphilippe in the break and have two cards to play in the finale.
I can't see any reason why they just wouldn't be all in for Trentin who on evidence so far is the fastest sprinter and the best climber among the fast guys, plus they have the points jersey to think about. It's not like they don't have the firepower to control whoever goes up the road

axl

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
This would be a good final for moscon, but he won't have the ticket to take his chance. Too hard for Lobato and Modolo ? Are they weaker than Trentin on this kind of climbs ?

Re:

axl said:
This would be a good final for moscon, but he won't have the ticket to take his chance. Too hard for Lobato and Modolo ? Are they weaker than Trentin on this kind of climbs ?
Lobato impressed me in AGR this year, almost made it into the favorites group, he should be able to do it.

Re:

axl said:
Modolo and Lobato are known to climb a bit as well. They just seem to carry less form than Trentin. So he is the clear favorite if this results in a bunch sprint.
But with this Vuelta so far, Im not sure we can expect something expected :D