• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017, Stage 8 : Hellín / Xorret de Catí. 199,5km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

benzwire said:
Everyone saying the race is over need to remember there are a lot of things that can happy. Froome can have a jours sans, an accident (I don't wish that on anyone), Sicilian Voodoo, or any number of other situations. It will be a good Vuelta.

Froome hasn't had a really bad day since 2011, so no, that will not happen.

Nice racing.
Congrats to Alaphilippe. QS just doesn't stop collecting victories.
Froome looks the strongest at the moment, but hasn't gained much. Lets see when the fatigue will start catching him.
Contador must be disgusted he lost the time earlier and satisfied he's going so well now.

This should be another tight Vuelta regardless of the tt favouring Froome.

Re: Re:

arvc40 said:
benzwire said:
Everyone saying the race is over need to remember there are a lot of things that can happy. Froome can have a jours sans, an accident (I don't wish that on anyone), Sicilian Voodoo, or any number of other situations. It will be a good Vuelta.

I think its just a case of what you would bet your house on if you had to.

Absolutely I agree. I just don't like when people start complaining that "It's over. This sucks, Froome is ruining everything". I'm not a Froome fan, but he is certainly deserving of his success. And remember his history at the Vuelta. Nothing is guaranteed until the finish. This is anything but boring. A lot can still happen.

The good notice is that Contador has the legs.

The bad thing is that unfortunate 3 min crackdown in Andorra. With hindsight today, it shall be blamed more on circunstancial weakness / bad escalation to racing form in the week previous to the Vuelta.

And the most interesting thing is that with each day that passes we enter more and more in uncharted territory more prone to failure for the Tour guys.

Very very interesting scenario with a dominant Froome but with a declining form, an unexpectedly good Contador with need to make time and with a Nibali & Chaves that will be better and better as we approach the last week..

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
The only way Froome can lose this, is by a Formigal in the upcoming stages. Maybe Berto can do it one last time.

But mano-a-mano, Froome can't be beaten by Chavito, Zakarin, Van Garderen and even Nibali. The only hope is an alliance between Nibbles and Alberto.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

benzwire said:
arvc40 said:
benzwire said:

I think its just a case of what you would bet your house on if you had to.

Absolutely I agree. I just don't like when people start complaining that "It's over. This sucks, Froome is ruining everything". I'm not a Froome fan, but he is certainly deserving of his success. And remember his history at the Vuelta. Nothing is guaranteed until the finish. This is anything but boring. A lot can still happen.

Its close. I like the way Contador kept pace to a point today, credit to his ability. Froome is deserving and he certainly has not ruined cycling. Somebody is always better and riders cant go on winning or performing the same way forever.

Vroome.exe said:
snowboarder said:
bob.a.feet said:
Alaphilippe was so strong today!

really? Sitting on Majka's a@@ all that time? Disgusting. A typical French way...

Lol Majka didn't take a single pull himself, they rode side by side.
What race were you watching? They rode side by side for a few hundred meters but that's about it, the rest of the climb Majka was out front.

Chapeau Alaphilippe! QS having a good Vuelta - he could win again tomorrow, but I think the GC guys will go for the summit finish (10 second bonus for the winner!). Froome is looking good - Bertie like wise.

It's all along the coast tomorrow, what's the wind and weather forecast?

Re:

Arredondo said:
The only way Froome can lose this, is by a Formigal in the upcoming stages. Maybe Berto can do it one last time.

But mano-a-mano, Froome can't be beaten by Chavito, Zakarin, Van Garderen and even Nibali. The only hope is an alliance between Nibbles and Alberto.

40 km TT to come. So far Nibali has not looked very good and Contador has a little problem of 3 minutes...........TJVG was looking quite good before his crash. Second week will be crucial for him including the TT. With the way the others are looking he may have a chance of a good finish.

gunara said:
jaylew said:
gunara said:
Does anyone know the gaps among Froome and Contador and Nibali group at the top of the climb?
17"

Thanks, I assume it was between Contador and Nibali/Chaves right? I didn't see how far from the top Froome dropped Contador and where exactly Contador made it back.
Sorry, I read wrong. I'm not sure of the difference at the top.

TRENDING THREADS