• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017 stage 9: Orihuela - Cumbres del Sol, 174 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Asturiano said:
Looks like Niballi has said he felt really great this Vuelta in fit. Suggesting the problema is the level of this Vuelta and the contenders.

yes Meintjes says the level is above the Tour ...as he is at the same level of the Tour but further back

Also others riders saying they are in their best form but not in the usual positions as level is so high

Re: Re:

spalco said:
portugal11 said:
Froome isn't british... it is like saying those players who play handball in the qatar national team are qatarians. Froome is only a "british" just to be accept by team sky

I have no clue what he identifies as personally, but as far as I can tell, both his parents were/are (?) British citizens, surely also making him British from birth.

Non-British Europeans don't understand the British imperial mentality. There are many people who considered themselves nothing but British yet they weren't born in Britain, their parents weren't born in Britain, their grandparents weren't born in Britain, they neither lived nor died in Britain, some never even stepped foot on the island. Look at another cycling example, David Millar, born on a former British colony (Malta) and raised in a then-British colony (Hong Kong), or Jeremy Hunt, born in Canada. I personally know or have worked with British people born in Malta, New Zealand, South Africa, (West) Germany, Peru, the United States and I'm sure other places too. There's never any question of dual loyalty; this is a common experience among a certain class of the British.

HelloDolly said:
Asturiano said:
Looks like Niballi has said he felt really great this Vuelta in fit. Suggesting the problema is the level of this Vuelta and the contenders.

yes Meintjes says the level is above the Tour ...as he is at the same level of the Tour but further back

Also others riders saying they are in their best form but not in the usual positions as level is so high
We could discuss about two kinds of level.
The level of field and performance.
I'd say the level of field is what they're referring to.

sir fly said:
HelloDolly said:
Asturiano said:

Not just the level of contenders (and the number ) which is true
There are also murmurings about the performance level which Meintjes meant

And Nibali meant it too

HelloDolly said:
sir fly said:
HelloDolly said:
Asturiano said:

Not just the level of contenders (and the number ) which is true
There are also murmurings about the performance level which Meintjes meant
Although surprising for me, I believe riders' claims.

DanielSong39 said:
Apparently the top riders are pulling out more watts in the Vuelta than in the Tour; this has yet to be confirmed, though.
The climbs are also significantly shorter, so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if Froome was better for example and that the general level is higher. Nibali also said his watts are the highest ever so if thats true, we will be in for fireworks in the high mountains.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Valv.Piti said:
DanielSong39 said:
Apparently the top riders are pulling out more watts in the Vuelta than in the Tour; this has yet to be confirmed, though.
The climbs are also significantly shorter, so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if Froome was better for example and that the general level is higher. Nibali also said his watts are the highest ever so if thats true, we will be in for fireworks in the high mountains.

Wait what? He says he's putting out more watts than his 2014 TDF ? :surprised:

deValtos said:
Valv.Piti said:
DanielSong39 said:

Wait what? He says he's putting out more watts than his 2014 TDF ? :surprised:
He said he was on a higher level yes. But that Tour was *** weather and 30-50 min climbs and this Vuelta so far is 35 degrees and 10 minute efforts.