• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017 stage 9: Orihuela - Cumbres del Sol, 174 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

rick james said:
Max Rockatansky said:
rick james said:
Max Rockatansky said:
These Sky guys are completely obsessed with thic race. We need someone to go for one second so that nobody else takes away ONE second from our leader.
isn't that a good thing that they want to fight for everything and give the fans a race?

What fight? Froome is three minutes ahead of his biggest rival. There is no fight.

Bertie isn't his biggest rival......Right now
So why go to such great lengths to prevent Contador from taking 1 measly second? That's MaxRockatansky's point.

Electress said:
LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:
Also one could ignore SKY and look at the race for second ? Its an idea
That's what I've been trying for 5 years but you have to admit they're a bit hard to ignore.

Totally impossible if watching on a UK channel. Because it's pretty much wall to wall proctology from start to finish. I get a certain amount of nationalism from a UK broadcaster (although why Sky continue to be equated with the UK beats me) but I do resent everything being framed through a Sky lens. Just commentate on the race, rather than analyse every incident from Sky's perspective. I'd quite like to hear about what options they believe other GC contenders have from here, or even who's doing what for other jerseys. But I watched the highlights the other day and they didn't even bother to mention or summarise who was in the other jerseys. And that was ITV. ES is literally intolerable.
I watched the last Olympics in Germany on public TV. Events not featuring Germans were, with one or two exceptions, completely ignored. Didn't bother me in the slightest.
They are broadcasting solely to domestic audiences, who ultimately pay their wages.
Jingoistic? Possibly. But it's the same the world over. And harmless.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
But everyone please bear in mind that there are still 2 weeks to go and anything can still happen

That's what the commentators have to say to keep people interested. "Still along way to go... anything could happen!"

Whenever Sky show up with Froome, it's a boa constrictor trudge to the end. Chapeau, he's the most dominant rider of his era. At least a duopoly would bring some form of competition.

Second place? Who cares about second. I'm with Contador on this. I bet he had one of those posters on his wall as a kid saying, "Second place is first loser!"

Re:

Brullnux said:
He is lucky he isn't black, otherwise he'd be completely ignored.

That's untrue, Lewis Hamilton, Daley Thompson, Lennox Lewis, Kelly Holmes, Linford Christie have all won Sports Personality of The Year, voted for by the general public as was "Canadian Brit" Greg Rusedski. Froome's popularity problem is not his perceived nationality but his rather introverted and understated personality. Also, Britain is going through a sporting golden period right now, plenty of high achievers in multiple sports. I can remember a period in the 1970's when a Bronze Olympic medal was the best we could do!

Pete

74 Big Photos and Paintings from Stage 9 (descriptions to come) — flockton/aso/smith/sirotti
http://www.steephill.tv/2017/vuelta-a-espana/photos/stage-09/

164321a_DSC_5650.jpg

164510_DSC_5672.jpg

173931a_7R9A7532.jpg

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
It is true that Brits have a much colder attitude towards Froome than any other important cyclist, or even most sportspeople. His upbringing isn't as easy a sell to the british public than Wiggins' working-class, single-mother, north london, rags-to-riches story. Cavendish is also much more well-liked, as is Chris Hoy. Perhaps it is Froome's lack of Olympic gold, although the fact that his first time on British soil was the 2012 Olympics is more likely (this is often thrown around, not sure if it is true but you get the jist). He is lucky he isn't black, otherwise he'd be completely ignored.

He is not going to be acknowledged in UK because he was not born here, was not schooled here, does not live here, hardly visits, does not race here, does not do uk TV. If you didnt grow up watching Coronation street and Eastenders you are not going to get much consideration.

Singer01 said:
Brullnux said:
Journey Man said:
Brullnux said:
He is lucky he isn't black, otherwise he'd be completely ignored.

Can you explain what you are trying to say by this sentence?
It took a lot of the British public until 2016 to fully accept Farah as one of their own, and he was raised for most of his life in inner city London.
back this up with facts.
The plethora of tabloid articles about him. How did you miss the storm over how British he was?

JetSet said:
[quote="Brullnux":xc4ism8v] He is lucky he isn't black, otherwise he'd be completely ignored.

That's untrue, Lewis Hamilton, Daley Thompson, Lennox Lewis, Kelly Holmes, Linford Christie have all won Sports Personality of The Year, voted for by the general public as was "Canadian Brit" Greg Rusedski. Froome's popularity problem is not his perceived nationality but his rather introverted and understated personality. Also, Britain is going through a sporting golden period right now, plenty of high achievers in multiple sports. I can remember a period in the 1970's when a Bronze Olympic medal was the best we could do!

Pete[/quote]
Once again, I refer to the consistent mention of him being 'kenyan-born' and the debate over how British he really is. Froome is constantly belittled by press and public over how British he is. Recently it has improved a lot but only after 2015 and his second tour. In the Wiggins vs Froome battle, the british public only had one favourite. Some of it was down to personality but a lot was down to the fact he was perceived to be "not really british", or a plastic brit. Look at Johanna Konta this year as well.

I was mainly referring to black immigrants rather than black athletes born in the UK, as they have less trouble with the media. Even if Hamilton isn't that well liked (understandably though). Like I said, although that majority accepted Farah post 2012, many didn't really accept him until last year.

It is a great tragedy Chris is not doing this under the Kenyan flag. What a boost it would be for that nation.

It would also stop idiots saying things like: "We have never had an African winner of the Tour de France" a quote I hear from the organisers etc. every year.

We have had an African winner of the TdF, in fact he has won it four times.

His name is Christopher Froome, a born and bred African in every sense of the word.

Journey Man said:
HelloDolly said:
But everyone please bear in mind that there are still 2 weeks to go and anything can still happen

That's what the commentators have to say to keep people interested. "Still along way to go... anything could happen!"

Whenever Sky show up with Froome, it's a boa constrictor trudge to the end. Chapeau, he's the most dominant rider of his era. At least a duopoly would bring some form of competition.

Second place? Who cares about second. I'm with Contador on this. I bet he had one of those posters on his wall as a kid saying, "Second place is first loser!"

Ok smarty pants...whatever ...but there is still along way to go ...just because comms say it doesnt make it untrue

As for second place ...it is possible to just follow that race as it is more competeitive ...
Second place is for losers is some kinda shite Donald Trump would spout...but if 1st already is out of reach in cycling there is still a race for 2nd/podium.....this is still a competetion is all ...but maybe your ballsy talk cant accept that

Well, I care about second place...riders who say that they don't...well they don't mean it. It's the right thing to say, but come on :) .

For his last race, Bertie would like nothing more than being on the final podium. Nibali can make it two GT podiums in one year. Aru needs to save his season. TJVG can hang on to his 5th place where he belongs :D . Zakarin wants to top-5 again, maybe more. There's still a lot of intrigues, a lot at stake. Let's be real.

LaFlorecita said:
rick james said:
Max Rockatansky said:
rick james said:
Max Rockatansky said:
These Sky guys are completely obsessed with thic race. We need someone to go for one second so that nobody else takes away ONE second from our leader.
isn't that a good thing that they want to fight for everything and give the fans a race?

What fight? Froome is three minutes ahead of his biggest rival. There is no fight.

Bertie isn't his biggest rival......Right now
So why go to such great lengths to prevent Contador from taking 1 measly second? That's MaxRockatansky's point.

It says a lot about Froome. He is always thinking about the race and winning is everything. A lot of champions think the same.

Tonton said:
For his last race, Bertie would like nothing more than being on the final podium.
I don't see why he would. 2nd place is not a win and he is guaranteed to be on the podium in Madrid as long as he finishes the race. Of course he'll try to finish as high as possible, but I don't think he's desperate to be 2nd or 3rd. If he had to choose between 2nd and 10th with a stage win, he'd choose the latter without a doubt.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Tonton said:
For his last race, Bertie would like nothing more than being on the final podium.
I don't see why he would. 2nd place is not a win and he is guaranteed to be on the podium in Madrid as long as he finishes the race. Of course he'll try to finish as high as possible, but I don't think he's desperate to be 2nd or 3rd. If he had to choose between 2nd and 10th with a stage win, he'd choose the latter without a doubt.
Tonton thinks contador is pinot... I had low expectations in the beginning of this vuelta, I just hope contador can give us a great show

Journey Man said:
HelloDolly said:

You're right, it's a kid's view!

Blanco said:
Journey Man said:
HelloDolly said:

You're right, it's a kid's view!
Thats why he was super angry with Movistar after they didn't close Chaves down on stage 20 in last year's Vuelta...

bigcog said:
LaFlorecita said:
TMP402 said:
Red Rick said:
Biggest problem with Froome riding like this is that there's like 0 anticipation for the GC fight.

Maybe I'm odd but sometimes I just think "it's his turn". I don't mind a boring Vuelta if Froome finally wins.
It's not odd; that's how all fanboys/girls think.

Oh come on, if Contador was whooping *** it would be no different would it.

The difference is that Contador is about to retire, isn't the favorite, hasn't been dominating the sport's biggest event, riding for a team that controls and dominates that event in a manner that harkens back to a less than happy time (for some of us) in the sports recent history. I can appreciate his resilience in continuing to pursue the elusive Vuelta win but, personally, I'd just as well that he and his team don't win any Giros or Vueltas.

LaFlorecita said:
Tonton said:

Alberto has never podiumed a GT in his entire career, he rides to win (or lose trying). This his final race he might change that relentless First Only attitude. I for one would love to see him win a stage (Froome won't let him) and podium. I hope he will consider a podium good enough this one time.

TRENDING THREADS