• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2018 Stage 2:Marbella – Caminito del Rey 163.5 km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Breh said:
yaco said:
Love how a flattish stage at the Vuelta can spit out GC contenders - The TDF should have a stage like this in the first three or four stages of each edition.
Flattish? There were over 2500 altitude meters.

Okay, so what? That's nothing. They're not racing those climbs. It's 170 km distance.

I could get more in less distance around here, and the highest peak is like 500m.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
tobydawq said:
Campenaerts in the top 40. Pretty shocking result by him. I guess the poster who wrote last week that he was a rider whose only usefulness was at 5 TTs a year has to rethink that statement a little.
The year he was at Lotto NL, he did a lot of work for the team during either Giro or Vuelta (can't remember). He's not exactly useless.

2016 Vuelta it was.

Re:

yaco said:
Love how a flattish stage at the Vuelta can spit out GC contenders - The TDF should have a stage like this in the first three or four stages of each edition.

Valverde has warned everyone in the past that a Vuelta "flat" stage has a bunch of climbing in it.

Nice win by Bala. The stage had his name written on it and he delivered yet again. Win #12 on the season so far. He's also extended his record of most years between first and most recent stage win. Overall stage win #10 at la Vuelta for Valverde. He really does enjoy this race. There are more stages to come that are good finishes for him. One thing we saw today is that he's definitely got a lot better form starting la Vuelta than he did with the Tour.

Can only agree with Rick and DFA about how to make an opening weekend. This is EXACTLY how you want to design a first weekend, a nice opening time trial day and a semi hard, punchy day on the second day. That really gets you hyped for the race instead of two totally useless flat stages which serve no purpose apart from a lot of crashes and people being able to ride into form.

I would have hoped Quintana would have worked a bit for Valv when Carapaz disappointed and Valv didnt have any other domestiques, but oh well, then its nice he can finish it off like that. Bala would surely pay him back - must admit I was a little disappointed in Quintana not pulling for a few hundred meters when De Plus attacked.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Can only agree with Rick and DFA about how to make an opening weekend. This is EXACTLY how you want to design a first weekend, a nice opening time trial day and a semi hard, punchy day on the second day. That really gets you hyped for the race instead of two totally useless flat stages which serve no purpose apart from a lot of crashes and people being able to ride into form.

I would have hoped Quintana would have worked a bit for Valv when Carapaz disappointed and Valv didnt have any other domestiques, but oh well, then its nice he can finish it off like that. Bala would surely pay him back - must admit I was a little disappointed in Quintana not pulling for a few hundred meters when De Plus attacked.

Are you seriously telling us that you for one second thought Quintana would work for somebody else?

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

Are you seriously telling us that you for one second thought Quintana would work for somebody else?

This. We've seen in the past that Quintana won't work for anyone else.

alejandro-valverde-califica-como-espectacular-su-triunfo-666521.jpg