• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2018 stage 20:Escaldes-Engordany - Coll de La Gallina

Vuelta 2018 stage 20: Escaldes-Engordany - Coll de La Gallina 97.3 km start 14.54 CET

The last mountain stage of the Vuelta a España amounts to merely 97.3 kilometres, yet takes in more than 3,000 vertical metres. The 20th stage travels over Andorra’s hardest climbs and should provide a dramatic conclusion to the mountains of 2018's last Grand Tour.

The Vuelta’s penultimate stage begins with its only flat section before the riders tackle the Coll de la Comella at kilometre 1. It’s not the hardest climb of the day, but – at 4.7 kilometres at 6.8% – perfect to stretch the legs. Or to move into the breakaway…

The Coll de Beixalis is next on the list of six climbs in today’s road book. The Beixalis amounts to 9.7 kilometres and the average gradient is 6.8%, while its steepest stretch is 14%.

Straight after the descent the Coll de Ordino looms. The 11.2 kilometres at 6.5% is crested after 42 kilometres before the route continues for a few kilometres in rolling fashion. The descent back into the valley runs to the foot of the Coll de Beixalis, which is approached from the northern side this time. It’s the same climb, but the slope starts a few kilometres later. This way the Beixalis amounts to 6.5 kilometres at 8.3%.

And on it goes. The penultimate ascent does ring a bell, too. The route goes back up on the Coll de La Comella, but the second drag up to the top is on the other side. For 4 kilometres the route climbs at 4.9% before the top is crested with 16.5 kilometres to go.

The final climb, Coll de La Gallina, is widely rated as Andorra’s hardest climb. The final haul up to the line amounts to 7.7 kilometres with an average gradient of 7.8%. The Gallina is known for its double digit switchbacks not too far from the summit.

stage-20-profile.jpg

Coll de Beixalis climb
stage-20-coll-de-beixalis.jpg

Coll de Ordino climb
stage-20-coll-de-ordino.jpg

Coll de la Gallina climb
stage-20-coll-de-la-gallina.jpg

GC Standings

nSyN0hB.png

KOM Standings - 53 Points available maximum tomorrow

CVaoTBI.png

Points Standings - Sagan v Valverde. With only 25 points available for winning a stage, Valverde is almost nailed on to win this, but Sagan is still mathmatically possible with 2 stages and intermediate points remaining.

7I4NBm3.png

Re: Vuelta 2018 stage 20:Escaldes-Engordany - Coll de La Gal

Robert5091 said:
The final climb, Coll de La Gallina, is widely rated as Andorra’s hardest climb.
If they did the whole thing, which sadly they don't. No excuse since now it's paved - they could do a double loop, or put it in the early part of the stage. After all the Els Cortals stage a few years back showed that you could still do a much harder stage than this while not leaving Andorra at all.

Libertine Seguros said:
Robert5091 said:
The final climb, Coll de La Gallina, is widely rated as Andorra’s hardest climb.
If they did the whole thing, which sadly they don't. No excuse since now it's paved - they could do a double loop, or put it in the early part of the stage. After all the Els Cortals stage a few years back showed that you could still do a much harder stage than this while not leaving Andorra at all.

The full climb profile of the Coll de La Gallina - yeah, shame they don't do the last 4 km or there abouts. Lack of room at the top maybe?
gallina.PNG

Re:

Inquitus said:
GC Standings

nSyN0hB.png

KOM Standings - 53 Points available maximum tomorrow

CVaoTBI.png

Points Standings - Sagan v Valverde. With only 25 points available for winning a stage, Valverde is almost nailed on to win this, but Sagan is still mathmatically possible with 2 stages and intermediate points remaining.

7I4NBm3.png

Valverde could gain points tomorrow as well depending on how it plays out. At this point I think Movistar would be very happy if a break goes up the road to take those green points for the intermediate sprint.

I really don't think Valverde gives a damn about the points jersey. He never did, that jersey just came along cause Vuelta stages are well suited for him. I remember one year he practically gifted the jersey to Felline. He didn't mentioned it at all at this Vuelta, so no, I don't think he cares about it. It's not the Tour's green jersey (although, to be honest, even that one is not so big achievement in my book)

Re:

Blanco said:
I really don't think Valverde gives a damn about the points jersey. He never did, that jersey just came along cause Vuelta stages are well suited for him. I remember one year he practically gifted the jersey to Felline. He didn't mentioned it at all at this Vuelta, so no, I don't think he cares about it. It's not the Tour's green jersey (although, to be honest, even that one is not so big achievement in my book)

He may or may not. At other times he's talked about it being nice if he could tie Kelly's record. So I think he'd like it, but maybe not specifically go after it.
That was 2016 and he said something about if he didn't get it then Quintana would. I laughed so hard when I read that and I remember replying to Movistar's page telling them no way Quintana wins it, it'll either be Bala or Feline.

Simon has home-field advantage...watch out. It should be a great stage, I hope it's mayhem. Half a minute between SK 3rd and MAL 5th, the fight could be epic. And the, there's the French proverb"jamais deux..." but I'm getting greedy here :cool: . I hope that Tibopino can do something special.

I hope it's a stage that we talk about for years to come.

Vuelta a Espana 2017 - Stage 20 - Alto de l'Angliru - The legend of Alberto Contador Velasco ends
Vuelta a Espana 2018 - Stage 20 - Coll de la Gallina - The legend of Enric Mas Nicolau begins

BlackWhiteEagle said:
Vuelta a Espana 2017 - Stage 20 - Alto de l'Angliru - The legend of Alberto Contador Velasco ends
Vuelta a Espana 2018 - Stage 20 - Coll de la Gallina - The legend of Enric Mas Nicolau begins
It could be. for sure, he's more eager to fight than "Superman", who squeaked his way to a Giro podium, sucks wheels, and banks on others to tank.Mas has to make a statement tomorrow, even if it costs him.

I believe.

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
Are we talking about the same Valverde that sprinted in Madrid twice to gain the points jersey? Of course he will want it.

I have no idea what will happen or who will come out on top. I hope Valverde, Pinot, and Crushweak all do good.

Yep, the very same Valverde who has gone after green points on day 21 to get the jersey. He wants the jersey.

With only 51 seconds between second and fifth place there will be no shortage of attacks. Changes to the podium would be no surprise as no one has really dominated the overall. Would like to see Michelton get their first grand tour win and also for Stephen K to secure a podium. If Valverde hangs on it will probably be his final GT podium.

It will be interesting to see the 2 "well-rested" riders Mas and Lopez trying to attack early and then negate eachothers attacks because Lopez doesnt coorperate.

I still think Kruijswijk will lose his podium though.

TRENDING THREADS