• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2018 Stage 4:Vélez-Málaga - La Alfaguara 161.4km

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

rick james said:
Robert5091 said:
https://www.velonews.com/2018/08/vu...ow-their-cards-as-kwiatkowski-hangs-on_477069
“I didn’t mean to [attack],” Yates said after stage 4.

In a race when nearly no one said they aim to win it, it should be no surprise that Yates did not mean to attack! :D

Chapeau Ben King & DD!
you should have seen his interview with ITV4, he looked really angry at himself and kept saying he didn't know what he was doing out there!

It was a very funny interview. Particularly as he'd told the same interviewer before the stage began that he'd be conservative (and obviously meant it).

Really disappointing for LLJumbo - I imagine that they'll go back into their shell.

Koronin said:
Red Rick said:
I don't think he could. They didn't really put a dent into Yates even on the flat or the sprint to the end.

Valverde actually said after the stage he could have gone with Yates when Yates when but decided not to and wanted to conserve energy. I'd love an explanation as to how pulling the group is conserving energy though. I'm with Valv.Piti that he could have gone across or with Yates and for whatever reason he didn't do it. Now granted we all know that his decision making at times can be questionable.
And contador is right now probably somewhere out there telling someone he is having his best numbers ever. The fact that valverde says something doesn't automatically make it true.

Anyway I kinda like yates's mentality of knowing he shouldn't attack but ending up attacking anyway. Reminds me on the mindset of people like contador who just couldn't refuse to accelerate when the opportunity presented itself. If he doesn't fade this time, I absolutely can't see anyone beating him

Re:

Red Rick said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_NGGqCdnVs

*confused look*
"Is that Yatesy there"
"Yeah, he's attacked"
"Guess he must be feeling good hey"

:lol:

Seriously, he needs to get some time on the other GC guys before the ITT, otherwise it'll be the "Giro all over again". Keep on not attacking! :D

Gigs_98 said:
Koronin said:
Red Rick said:
I don't think he could. They didn't really put a dent into Yates even on the flat or the sprint to the end.

Valverde actually said after the stage he could have gone with Yates when Yates when but decided not to and wanted to conserve energy. I'd love an explanation as to how pulling the group is conserving energy though. I'm with Valv.Piti that he could have gone across or with Yates and for whatever reason he didn't do it. Now granted we all know that his decision making at times can be questionable.
And contador is right now probably somewhere out there telling someone he is having his best numbers ever. The fact that valverde says something doesn't automatically make it true.

Anyway I kinda like yates's mentality of knowing he shouldn't attack but ending up attacking anyway. Reminds me on the mindset of people like contador who just couldn't refuse to accelerate when the opportunity presented itself. If he doesn't fade this time, I absolutely can't see anyone beating him
We need our delusions a little bit, no? I mean, I'm 100% sure Murray's gonna win the USO, so let the good people have it :p

Seriously I don't understand people who take it for granted that Yates will bonk again. I feel like people don't recognize how crazy that Giro was and that it's not the norm. Yesterday was a 15 minute attack. Those are pretty standard. If he takes time now, he has to attack less later on.

- This Vuelta isn't gonna have the crazy racing of the Giro
- there's one stage over 200km and it's a breakaway stage, and only 2 other mountains tages are over 180km.
- There are no stages remotely close to Sappada, Zonc, Jafferau or Cervinia.
- There is no transfer of 3000km or whatever it was
- There's heat, but the Giro had a crazy amount of rain, which is worse if you're too skinny
- Most of the deciding climbs are perfectly in Yates' wheelhouse. Lots of efforts between 15 and 25 minutes
- His opposition isn't really coming into the Vuelta fresher than he is. Most of them are coming off the Tour.
- He's done perfectly normal 3rd weeks in GTs before.

If there's one worry I have for Yates, it's not that he crumbled in the Giro, it would be that he was too sharp in Poland

Robert5091 said:
Red Rick said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_NGGqCdnVs

*confused look*
"Is that Yatesy there"
"Yeah, he's attacked"
"Guess he must be feeling good hey"

:lol:

Seriously, he needs to get some time on the other GC guys before the ITT, otherwise it'll be the "Giro all over again". Keep on not attacking! :D
He will want time, obviously. But this time it won't be Dumoulin after his ass in an ITT.