• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2018 Stage 8:Linares - Almadén 195.1km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Flamin said:
Red Rick said:
The entire drag a little too long and the finish a little too steep for Sagan. Valverde way faster on the home stratch, although the diagonal line he took did him no favours

Nah, Sagan is just not in top shape. If he is, he wins this with several bike lengths.
Yeah. Him being there yesterday makes you assume he beats Valverde here too, but then you see the difference between sprints at 6% and at 2%

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Impressive Nizzolo, looks like he's getting back to his best. Also good showings by Garcia and Ion Izagirre. The latter could be a dark horse for the overall win.
I have no idea what to expect from Ion. He has never finished in the top 10 of a GT, but he's also never really had a succesful attempt without a crash. I actually think he's consistent enough, but his top level is probably a bit too low to win the overall

Red Rick said:
Flamin said:
Red Rick said:
The entire drag a little too long and the finish a little too steep for Sagan. Valverde way faster on the home stratch, although the diagonal line he took did him no favours

Nah, Sagan is just not in top shape. If he is, he wins this with several bike lengths.
Yeah. Him being there yesterday makes you assume he beats Valverde here too, but then you see the difference between sprints at 6% and at 2%

Zig zagging usually means a tiring rider but Sagan is getting closer. Valverde is looking really good so far.

Stage
Clipboard.jpg

Re:

Red Rick said:
This should also make sure Valverde's green jersey is safe enough that it won't get in the way should Quintana prove the better option for the GC win.

I think Movistar is playing it really well atm. Nairo has not really shown anything yet and that in my mind shows that he is saving himself. Valverde is here to get stage wins. But he is a good option in that case if something might happen to Nairo. He could really win the Vuelta then.

Cance > TheRest said:
LaFlorecita said:
Impressive Nizzolo, looks like he's getting back to his best. Also good showings by Garcia and Ion Izagirre. The latter could be a dark horse for the overall win.
I have no idea what to expect from Ion. He has never finished in the top 10 of a GT, but he's also never really had a succesful attempt without a crash. I actually think he's consistent enough, but his top level is probably a bit too low to win the overall

Big day for Ion Izagirre tomorrow. S.Yates will smash 'em all but if Ion can be among the best of the rest then he has a great chance of making the podium. Granted, it's still early days and Ion's high number of race days this season compared to the other favourites (apart from Kwiato) is a concern but he has ridden a perfect race so far. The interview after the stage with his teammate Ivan Garcia was kinda funny - he assumed it was Gorka up there with him and seemed surprised when he realised it was Ion.

Valverde not going for the win but somehow winning! :D (seems to be this Vuelta's theme - "I didn't mean to win!")

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/vuelta-a-espana-2018/stage-8/results/
My DS told me to get on Sagan’s wheel but I told him, ‘I’m not going to go for the stage today - I’m going to focus on not losing time’,” Valverde revealed.

Chapeau for not losing time! Lotto Jumbo came up short even with 4 guys at the front at the flamme rouge. Bit too steep, or not at 100% for Sagan.