• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2019, Stage 20: Arenas de San Pedro - Plataforma de Gredos > 190.4 km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GettyImages-1034443654.jpg

How does Froome winning the 2017 Vuelta predate Thomas winning the 2018 Tour?

2018 Giro - last GT Froome won
2018 Tour - Thomas
2018 Vuelta - Yates
2019 Giro - Carapaz
2019 Tour - Bernal
2019 Vuelta - Roglič

Even if you want to get cute and include Froome winning the 2011 Vuelta, that was a) announced in July, so would break the streak before Bernal, and b) it made the 2011 Vuelta Froome's first GT win, so in theory would make it 6.

Yeah I even had Yates on the list == DUH!!!

EDIT: I'm in my 70th year, sometimes I get confused :coldsweat:

Really this IS the Changing of the Guard. The last 4 GTs have 1st time GT winners!

Yates
Carapaz
Bernal
Roglic

Cycling's future looks bright and has plenty to offer us with Evenpoel, Pogacar etc. :)
Absolutely. It really does seem like young riders and relative newcomers have had strong performances all year long. Those you mentioned, WVA, MVP, Philipsen, Higuita, Asgreen, Sivakov...there even seems to be a changing of the guard in the sprint game. Talent-wise, the sport seems to be in good shape.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I am not sure why Valverde attacked at that point. Did he really think he could crack Roglic? The other plausible reason was to save Quintana's podium spot, which is legitimate, but Quintana clearly didn't have the legs today. So it was wise to abort at that point if MAL and Quintana weren't going to or able to join him.

Regarding the quality of this Vuelta: There were 2 top tier riders (Roglic and Pogacar), 1 crafty veteran and two guys who weren't able to sustain a 3 week effort despite strong teams (Quintana/MAL). All the rest were essentially pack fodder.

Roglic would have won even more easily if Martin and Kruijswijk hadn't crashed out.

I am not sure why Valverde attacked at that point. Did he really think he could crack Roglic? The other plausible reason was to save Quintana's podium spot, which is legitimate, but Quintana clearly didn't have the legs today. So it was wise to abort at that point if MAL and Quintana weren't going to or able to join him.

Regarding the quality of this Vuelta: There were 2 top tier riders (Roglic and Pogacar), 1 crafty veteran and two guys who weren't able to sustain a 3 week effort despite strong teams (Quintana/MAL). All the rest were essentially pack fodder.

Roglic would have won even more easily if Martin and Kruijswijk hadn't crashed out.

Fair. I don't think Rog had to go very deep to win this race. If his improvement continues along this path, then I'd put him as favorite for the Tour next year. No matter who is there (assuming he goes).

Fair. I don't think Rog had to go very deep to win this race. If his improvement continues along this path, then I'd put him as favorite for the Tour next year. No matter who is there (assuming he goes).

Agree. Pretty weak Vuelta and Roglic got it with relative ease. Valverde can't really make difference anywhere, Quintana was just lost and Tour in his legs and Pogacar is good, but not exactly Bernal of this world in terms of top consistency. And MAL just keeps on figuring out the ways to not be even close the winner of GT.

He's the youngest GT podium finisher since...? I don't know.
As far as I can make out, the previous U-21 GT podiums have been...

Antonio Jimenez 2nd Vuelta 1955
Fausto Coppi 1st Giro 1940
Luigi Lucatti 3rd Giro 1914
Henri Cornet 1st TDF 1904 (age 19)
Jean-Baptiste Dortignacq 2nd 1904 TDF
Lucien Pothier 2nd 1903 TDF

(all of whom were younger than Pogacar)

Valverde's 16 years between 1st and this podium is a record. Previous was 15 years.

Amazing ride today by Pogacar to gain 3rd in the overall standings. I did not see that coming. However, I do think the 3 strongest and most consistent riders in this Vuelta are the 3 on the podium. Congrats to Roglic for winning (assuming no one DNF's tomorrow). Congrats to Valverde for the records he sets with this podium.

I really think this final podium shows the changing of the guard from Valverde's generation (who only a handful of the top riders are still active) to the next two generations of riders (Roglic in the generation immediately after and Pogacar in the generation after Roglic's). This will take some research and may not even be able to truly find out, but is 18 and a half years the largest age gap between 2 Grand Tour podium finishers?

A very entertaining and fun Vuelta. Congrats to all the stage winners and the podium finishers.

TRENDING THREADS