• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 13: September 12 - Berja - Sierra Nevada, 175km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
Visit site
It's sad when excitement only comes from riders having crashes, mechanicals, or dropping off the back. I sure miss the attacks. Valverde rode the perfect race but I have to wonder what Basso and Gesink are waiting for. To be fair, maybe they were at their limit.

Great ride by David Moncoutie.
 
Apr 29, 2009
428
0
0
Visit site
Cadel would have used alot of energy, but still only 1.23 down when Valverde still has yet to have his usual bad day. Not where he would have wanted to be at the start of the day but it could have been alot worse.
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Cadel would have used alot of energy, but still only 1.23 down when Valverde still has yet to have his usual bad day. Not where he would have wanted to be at the start of the day but it could have been alot worse.

It doesn't matter how many times I point to previous GTs and show that Valverde doesn't have a "customary bad day", you won't believe it until this Vuelta ends, will you? :p
 
pedaling squares said:
It's sad when excitement only comes from riders having crashes, mechanicals, or dropping off the back. I sure miss the attacks. Valverde rode the perfect race but I have to wonder what Basso and Gesink are waiting for. To be fair, maybe they were at their limit.

Great ride by David Moncoutie.
If you paid attention you would see that Basso accelerated maybe 8/9 times. He keeps sitting but just ups the pace (Basso never does something explosive).
They were at their limit, I'm pretty sure Valverde had something more left though.
 
Apr 29, 2009
428
0
0
Visit site
SIL have to get their tactics together when sending someone up the road, JvdB couldn't help in the TdF now de Greef wasn't any help here. Mind you they couldn't have swapped bikes because Cadel couldn't have touched the pedals.:D
 
Jun 18, 2009
1,086
1
0
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Yes evans didn't have great legs but he would of only lost 20-30secs without such rotten luck

He wouldn't have lost anytime without the flat. Lost a minute during the change and finished a minute down overall. He easily would have stayed with Valverde and co if they maintained the same pace.
 
Apr 29, 2009
428
0
0
Visit site
issoisso said:
It doesn't matter how many times I point to previous GTs and show that Valverde doesn't have a "customary bad day", you won't believe it until this Vuelta ends, will you? :p
No he doesn't have bad days he just pulls out of the race. :D
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,644
2
0
Visit site
issoisso said:
It doesn't matter how many times I point to previous GTs and show that Valverde doesn't have a "customary bad day", you won't believe it until this Vuelta ends, will you? :p

I agree, and Valv. has held back compared to other GTs. A lot of the time he has had bad luck to, or failed to be attentive.

Could very well be his year. tomorrow will be the significant stage.
 
Jul 7, 2009
209
0
0
Visit site
Well, my respect for CE has increased. It looks like he either finished on-par with the time he lost due to the flat, or he may have even clawed a few seconds back - so chapeau to him. For someone who looked like he was going badly, it looks like he was going about the same. That doesn`t mean he would win, but it is interesting and it speaks to some character!
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,644
2
0
Visit site
Izoard said:
Well, my respect for CE has increased. It looks like he either finished on-par with the time he lost due to the flat, or he may have even clawed a few seconds back - so chapeau to him. For someone who looked like he was going badly, it looks like he was going about the same. That doesn`t mean he would win, but it is interesting and it speaks to some character!

although I agree, I'd suggest basso, valv and gesink didn't go as hard as evans did. I think they had their mind on tomorrow as well.
 
Attrition and bad luck impact the GC podium spots. Not surprising, since the SN generated a solitary attack.
Much, unfortunately, as expected. Too long a slog.

Were I designing this course, the finish would be atop the Monachil. If insufficient room, the small plain, just after the top.
All in all, a bit of a snoozefest and Valverde comes away with some bonus seconds to boot.
Yawn on.......
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,644
2
0
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
GC looks like this:

Top 6 (AV, RG, IB, CE, SS, EM)
*Daylight*
Rest of peloton (lead by JR of Caisse)

those 6 pretty mucg the only ones who can win anymore. Although IMO it is pretty hard to see EM (or even SS ) winning.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
If you paid attention you would see that Basso accelerated maybe 8/9 times. He keeps sitting but just ups the pace (Basso never does something explosive).
They were at their limit, I'm pretty sure Valverde had something more left though.

If I paid attention... pretty funny coming from the one who wrote that Cadel had totally cracked when he had just made up 20 seconds!

IMO there is a difference between briefly lifting the pace to see how your opponents can respond and a real attack. I know Basso is not capable of massive explosions, but I don't think you would really consider his ride today an attack. As I wrote, if you paid attention:D, maybe he was at his limit and was merely being sensible. But victory is not going to come unless he steps out of his comfort zone.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
although I agree, I'd suggest basso, valv and gesink didn't go as hard as evans did. I think they had their mind on tomorrow as well.

Agreed. Cadel must stay positive and keep his eye on the prize. his luck will turn around(hopefully). I know he can do it as i have seen a change in cadel this year. he derserves a big win as he really should have manybig gt victories to his name.