• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 8 Villena - Xorret del Catí 190km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Team Sky have withdrawn from the Vuelta

I respect that. It was the right thing to do. It's good that all of Team Sky will be at Txema's funeral. Too bad that this happened to them, it's a fun team to watch.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Finally, the first of the decisive stages for GC. Been waiting for this :)

Xorret de Catí is always awesome.

Agreed, who's your tip? It was a great and contreversial stage last year. I think I will go with Rodriguez. Too lesser known candidates (rodriguez & anton) are looking the best for overall gc honours.

I'll never forget the 2000 visit to Cati.
That day, Fabio Roscioli had been on a solo break, all day. At one point, he was 20 minutes up on the peloton.
The weather was very fickle. While Fabio rode through relatively pleasant conditions, the peloton was hit by a mini twister and heavy showers.
As a result, they couldn't get the chase full on.
Riders were going down in heaps, through the final town, on every bend and roundabout.

So, by the foot of "The Wall" of Cati, Roscioli still led by over 7 minutes.
7 minutes, with only 7km left.
No problem? Not a bit of it.
When the terrible gradient bit, poor Fabio began to weave from side to side, looking like a fly on a window.
He made Reine Taaramae's last year's ascent look positively fluid.

Ultimately, he lost all 7 minutes on those 4kms of hell.
Eladio Jimenez stormed past him, to take the first of his 2 wins, here.
His second would see him catch a "unique" break off the front, of Erik Zabel, Stuart O'Grady, Thor Hushovd and Oscar Freire!

The problem was that Roscioli had a puncture and he change the rear wheel... ann the new one didn't have the big sprocket neede in Xorret.

But at least he didn't need to stop like Taaramae:

1252343489_extras_albumes_0.jpg

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I still have fond memories of Taaramae's 'standstill'.

Too step for nibali to win i think. Mosq. or anton maybe.

Personally i'm just thrilled the whinning and antics of a soar-losing cyclist wont be on show ;)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Just so we're clear, this climb starts from Castalla, and not Petrer? I ask because I've looked it up on climbbybike, and they had two profiles for the Cati.

Mellow Velo said:
That day, Fabio Roscioli had been on a solo break, all day. At one point, he was 20 minutes up on the peloton.
The weather was very fickle. While Fabio rode through relatively pleasant conditions, the peloton was hit by a mini twister and heavy showers.
Riders were going down in heaps, through the final town, on every bend and roundabout.

When the terrible gradient bit, poor Fabio began to weave from side to side, looking like a fly on a window.

His second would see him catch a "unique" break off the front, of Erik Zabel, Stuart O'Grady, Thor Hushovd and Oscar Freire!

Good read :) I can only imagine how it must have looked liked. Too bad I missed it :)
Worst part is that I can't see it today either.... Must find a way to watch this.. aaargh!

Mellow Velo said:

That sounds awesome. That a rider almost got rewarded for a solo break. Youy rarely evern see those anymore. Only in our thing, can you have 1 group riding in different weather to another.

Since i didnt have time to give a prediction in the OP, i will do it now.

The official thread prediction :
Igor Anton to win if the contenders go for it on the climb.
Nibali to win if they approach it like the tour and take it easy up the climb since there is a descent on the other side.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Just so we're clear, this climb starts from Castalla, and not Petrer? I ask because I've looked it up on climbbybike, and they had two profiles for the Cati.

Yes. The map in the OP is clear. They get there from Castalla in the North. Petrer is at the SW of the mountain top.

http://www.altimetrias.net usually have more accurate profiles for Spanish climbs

Xorret1.gif

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
icefire said:
The previous climb is 30 km before, so the race will be limited to the last climb. Oh, we'll have 15 minutes more of live coverage to enjoy the desertic landscape :D

I hope so but I think not as that climb isn't too hard and knowing cycling last few years I doubt any team dares to toughen the race up that far from the finish.

A

Anonymous

cant really be arsed to watch today. If i do, would be nice to see one of the Euskaltel guys or another basque rider taking the win.

TRENDING THREADS