• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2017 Rumours

Re:

staubsauger said:
Liiiibertiiiiiineeee ... Veleta ... It's happening! :surprised:
I googled it and found nothing, only a few websites which say that the Vuelta next year will finish on the Canary Islands. :eek: Is this complete bs or actually true? A Vuelta with a stage to Pico Veleta and then mountain stages in Tenerife would be completely insane.

Re: Re:

TromleTromle said:
Cannibal72 said:
Starting in Nimes, btw.

Any links or documentation ?
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2017-vuelta-a-espana-to-start-in-nimes/

Btw, this makes the other news about the Vuelta finish on the Canary Islands more likely (though I still don't believe it) since they would be in the north of Spain early and they will probably go southwards relatively soon. Therefore the last week would probably be somewhere in the south.

Gigs_98 said:
staubsauger said:
Liiiibertiiiiiineeee ... Veleta ... It's happening! :surprised:
I googled it and found nothing, only a few websites which say that the Vuelta next year will finish on the Canary Islands. :eek: Is this complete bs or actually true? A Vuelta with a stage to Pico Veleta and then mountain stages in Tenerife would be completely insane.
They mentioned it on German Eurosport today. Apparently the idea of the Canary Islands is gotten out of place, because the local government ain't got enough cash to host the Vuelta.

In contrast the Veleta is on the hot seat to become the final mountain stage in 2017! They newly paved big amounts of the climbs last year already so maybe they gonna re-pave the final section until the top or the last ski station as well. Would be massive of course. That final strech ain't no easy deal as well. Constantly about 7-9 % I think.

I always thought they would try going first to the observatory IRAM Pico Veleta (~2,800 m - perfectly feasable) before going for the full Veleta N.

Of course the best thing that could happen in a distant future is that they repave the whole military road across the pass at both sides, allowing a stage that goes from sealevel to 3,300 m and then finishing in Granada.

I don't think that'd be great. It's still new though, and it's still no out and out Murito, but it would likely be a uniclimb stage. What's the highest pass on Veleta? I would love to see them go really high on it before descending down. Then they can finish on any 40% wall they want

Re:

Red Rick said:
I don't think that'd be great. It's still new though, and it's still no out and out Murito, but it would likely be a uniclimb stage. What's the highest pass on Veleta? I would love to see them go really high on it before descending down. Then they can finish on any 40% wall they want
The highest point they can go climbing and descending on different roads is in the ski station at 2500m. Higher than that all paved roads are dead end roads for servicing the ski station, the National Park and the telescopes.
They can go up the red road (Hazallana + Sabinas), down the main (yellow) road, and up again.

72475575fd8c3dc95a2923233673e792o.png

The south side is only paved up to 1800m.

ice&fire said:
Red Rick said:
The highest point they can go climbing and descending on different roads is in the ski station at 2500m. Higher than that all paved roads are dead end roads for servicing the ski station, the National Park and the telescopes.
They can go up the red road (Hazallana + Sabinas), down the main (yellow) road, and up again.

72475575fd8c3dc95a2923233673e792o.png

The south side is only paved up to 1800m.
Climbing south side it is then

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS