• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2019 stage 10: Jurançon-Pau > 36.2km ITT

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Great argument
Thanks

UCI regulation 2.4.018 states that

"A rider, upon catching up with another shall leave a lateral gap of at least 2 metres between himself and the other rider. After 1 km, the rider caught up shall ride at least 25 m away from the other"

Since Lopez was caught by Roglic inside the last km, he can never be penalized.

Have a nice day in fairy land

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thanks

"A rider, upon catching up with another shall leave a lateral gap of at least 2 metres between himself and the other rider. After 1 km, the rider caught up shall ride at least 25 m away from the other"

Something tells me this is not all there is to it, because this basically says it's ok to draft for roughly 950 meters or the entire last km.

Reactions: Sandisfan and topt
Thanks

Lopez came in 2.00 down, so he got the s.t. as Roglic.

Drafting as ***.

Reactions: topt
Can someone tell me what's the deal with Carl Fredrik Hagen? 10 stages in, and he's 6th in GC! I only know him because I selected him to my CQ manager team (I read an article that said he could be a new Roglic). Does he have a genuine shot at a top-10 in Madrid?

Well to be honest he gained 10 minutes being in the breakaway in stage 7. That propelled him into 7th GC. But on stage 9 he was limiting his losses quite well so he could go far I think.

Valverde's was ok. I did expect a little more from him. However, maybe this is the new good for him after the 2017 crash which was during an ITT. It's possible that he's still got an issue mentally with time trails thanks to that crash.

Lopez was better than expected.

Pogacar was very good. As he's so young, I wasn't sure what to expect from him.

Quintana was very bad.

Roglic did what was expected.

That's about the biggest difference Roglic can have in this Vuelta. From now on the three climbers below him should start taking back time. If MAL can stay on his bike until the end and some third week magik kicks in, it's not all over.
Not seeing it tbh. The only one i see capable is Lopez. The only reason why Roglic lost time two days ago, was because he crashed, not because he was weaker.

Roglic: "What the heck is this, ugh. I'm just going to put it here in the trash." :)

EDkr4iWXsAAGHOp.jpg:large

That's about the biggest difference Roglic can have in this Vuelta. From now on the three climbers below him should start taking back time. If MAL can stay on his bike until the end and some third week magik kicks in, it's not all over.

When was the last time Quintana rode well consistently ? 38 year old legs don't suddenly get better halfway through a race. The race is there for Roglic, only a SK mistake re 2016 Giro or third week collapse will lose it. Lopez looks the freshest of his rivals but he has also had issues and it's a lot of time to make up especially in modern grand tours where the margins are usually smaller. Jumbo still look good even if Roglic does get isolated on the climbs sometimes. When it counts, most of the team domestiques are usually dropped anyway.Jumbo have to keep trying to put some riders in the break like Astana and Movistar.

When was the last time Quintana rode well consistently ? 38 year old legs don't suddenly get better halfway through a race. The race is there for Roglic, only a SK mistake re 2016 Giro or third week collapse will lose it. Lopez looks the freshest of his rivals but he has also had issues and it's a lot of time to make up especially in modern grand tours where the margins are usually smaller. Jumbo still look good even if Roglic does get isolated on the climbs sometimes. When it counts, most of the team domestiques are usually dropped anyway.Jumbo have to keep trying to put some riders in the break like Astana and Movistar.

2015/2016 is really the last time Quintana was truly consistent. Valverde is 39 the other 4 in the GC hunt are a minimum of 9 and a half years younger than he is. I don't think anyone expect him to get better in the 3rd week, just maintain his current level as he has done many times in the past. Well one thing Roglic doesn't have to worry about is a new bank to crash into that cost Steven K the 2106 Giro. However, I actually expect to see this current group of 5 or a combination there of (Roglic, Valverde, Lopez, Quintana, Pogacar) together for the rest of the mountain stages with maybe some domestique here or there.

2015/2016 is really the last time Quintana was truly consistent. Valverde is 39 the other 4 in the GC hunt are a minimum of 9 and a half years younger than he is. I don't think anyone expect him to get better in the 3rd week, just maintain his current level as he has done many times in the past. Well one thing Roglic doesn't have to worry about is a new bank to crash into that cost Steven K the 2106 Giro. However, I actually expect to see this current group of 5 or a combination there of (Roglic, Valverde, Lopez, Quintana, Pogacar) together for the rest of the mountain stages with maybe some domestique here or there.

Quintana rode quite well in the 2017 Giro but neither he nor Nibali had the answers to Dumoulin's TT dominance and measured performances on the climbs. Neither of them were at their best on the climbs and Dumoulin was able to ride each mountain stage like a TT. This race has been unusual in that the top tier looked dominant from the beginning. Majka dropped off pretty quickly. Too bad that Nibali and Yates both opted for the Tour. This race would have been better with both of them in it. The Carapaz non appearance didn't help either. Ineos have been totally flat, Aru has paid for his Tour ride and the EF leaders crashed out. I have still enjoyed the race but what might have been...........Jumbo will be asking themselves some serious questions if they can't close this one out.

Nothing to do with the stage as such, but... the police sure made an interesting discovery.

• Haha
Reactions: perico and ice&fire
Nothing to do with the stage as such, but... the police sure made an interesting discovery.

That was stage 8, not this one. (note group of riders and reference to Spanish police)

TRENDING THREADS