• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 stage 14: San Vicente De La Barquera - Oviedo > 188km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pogacar was shown on the stationary bike warming down afterwards. He didn't seem too concerned. Had a scrape on the elbow and a small scrape on the knee but didn't look to be in any pain. Fingers crossed. I think we can all agree that crashes suck. Roglic was almost caught up in it but didn't hit the pavement. Hope Valverde is OK.

Why don't the GC riders/teams have a gentleman's agreement to not contest the sprint finishes. They don't need a rule for this, just a mutual understanding that for example in the last 3km they go very easy and not finish with the sprinters. It's safer for both the sprinters and their teams because they have more room to sprint, as well as GC guys who don't have to get themselves in dangerous situations. It's really baffling to me that these sprint stage accidents still take out a lot of the GC guys.

Why don't the GC riders/teams have a gentleman's agreement to not contest the sprint finishes. They don't need a rule for this, just a mutual understanding that for example in the last 3km they go very easy and not finish with the sprinters. It's safer for both the sprinters and their teams because they have more room to sprint, as well as GC guys who don't have to get themselves in dangerous situations. It's really baffling to me that these sprint stage accidents still take out a lot of the GC guys.
Is it because of radios? DS's shouting, "Get to the front, get to the front!"

Was Quintana actually caught up in the crash, or did he simply join in with those who soft pedalled the final part? Some riders stopped to see how team-mates were in the crash: that is not being delayed (if that is what NQ did).

The rule is rather unclear: you get the same time as the group you were with at the time of the incident, but what happens if the group splits up subsequently? Was the remains of the group those who finished at 5 seconds, at 24s, at 38s?

It seems hard to justify the idea that Bol in 16th at 24 seconds was not delayed, and nor was Arndt at 38 seconds, but the 7 men who crossed the line between them were.

Because if there is a split in the bunch, they don't trust every other contender to be on the back part of it. The three second rule in anticipated sprint stages (I assume this was designated as one) doesn't really seem to have embedded itself in consciousness.

Because if there is a split in the bunch, they don't trust every other contender to be on the back part of it. The three second rule in anticipated sprint stages (I assume this was designated as one) doesn't really seem to have embedded itself in consciousness.

Yeah but it's for the good of all of them to start trusting each other in these instances. Once there would be this agreement the guys who would take advantage of it would be looked down upon.

The times either haven't been finalised or haven't been done very thoroughly. For example there was definitely a Burgos rider being treated following the crash but no rider from that team has been given the winning time.

Was Quintana actually caught up in the crash, or did he simply join in with those who soft pedalled the final part? Some riders stopped to see how team-mates were in the crash: that is not being delayed (if that is what NQ did).

The rule is rather unclear: you get the same time as the group you were with at the time of the incident, but what happens if the group splits up subsequently? Was the remains of the group those who finished at 5 seconds, at 24s, at 38s?

It seems hard to justify the idea that Bol in 16th at 24 seconds was not delayed, and nor was Arndt at 38 seconds, but the 7 men who crossed the line between them were.
On Cycling News, the results that are currently posted show Quintana having lost 1:48, as noted above. I can only guess that there may have been a split in the peloton at the time of the crash, and that Quintana was in the gapped group behind. But I wouldn't be surprised if the results were revised again to show no time loss for Quintana if he was inside 3 km when the crash happened, because just about everyone who was not ahead of the crash got held up by it. Like others, I'm curious to know what's happened.

On Cycling News, the results that are currently posted show Quintana having lost 1:48, as noted above. I can only guess that there may have been a split in the peloton at the time of the crash, and that Quintana was in the gapped group behind. But I wouldn't be surprised if the results were revised again to show no time loss for Quintana if he was inside 3 km when the crash happened, because just about everyone who was not ahead of the crash got held up by it. Like others, I'm curious to know what's happened.
the result has not been published yet. When it is, you can find it here:

until then, everything is just provisional

TRENDING THREADS