• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 stage 17: Aranda de Duero - Guadalajara > 219.6 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ok, I missed almost the entire stage but I'm really struggling to understand why Astana wouldn't force Pogacar and Roglic to chase. They could have tired them out for tomorrow's stage and Lopez would have a better chance of finishing on the podium by tiring out Pogacar over Nairo. And he wants the young rider's jersey as well. I just don't get it.

Reactions: Naico
  1. Primoz Roglic (Jumbo-Visma)
  2. Nairo Quintana (Movistar Team) a 2’24”
  3. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar Team) a 2’48”
  4. Tadej Pogacar (UAE Team Emirates) a 3’42”
  5. Miguel Ángel López (Astana Pro Team) a 3’59”
  6. Wilco Kelderman (Team Sunweb) a 5’05”

So do Movi ride for Nairo now ?

Also what did Astana gain from pulling the red and white jerseys along MAL looking like another rider happy to live of GC placings

Again, I don't buy this. Jumbo were on the edge and Movi took a minute out of the break that Jumbo wasn't going to bring back themselves.
Jumbo, UAE and Astana would work till the end, without Movistar move. The gap to Quintana would be smaller that way, not to mention that there was a possibility to hurt Roglic, but Astana either didn't saw it, or didn't wanted to take advantage of it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Jumbo, UAE and Astana would work till the end, without Movistar move. The gap to Quintana would be smaller that way, not to mention that there was a possibility to hurt Roglic, but Astana either didn't saw it, or didn't wanted to take advantage of it.
They would work to the end no matter what, Movi just gave them a hand in the chase. Quintana's GC gap would have been under 2minutes.

Movistar did Ok. It was cycling 101. They did something similar to Sky 3 years ago when Froome was chasing behind. Disrupt the chase. The proof of that is that the Movistar was at the front pulling as well. The problem was Astana. They could have lost the chance to podium today by giving a free ride to Roglic and especially to Pogacar. They killed themselves for practically no gain.

TRENDING THREADS