• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 stage 17: Aranda de Duero - Guadalajara > 219.6 km

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The people in here constantly hating on Quintana always amaze me.

Either he is a wheel sucker, or he is disloyal for attacking.

He just can't win.

He could have actually gone in red today, if his own team had not attacked from the peloton, and dropped the gap significantly.

Astana also get no prizes, for not letting Jumbo and UAE kill themselves much more, before they started to contribute to controlling the gap.

They could have set up Roglic an d Pogacar for a complete meltdowns tomorrow, but they lost their cool too early.

I think everything Movistar did today (getting Quintana in the break, pulling from the front group, raising the pace in Roglič's group to disrupt the chase and drop the domestiques) was perfect. It's a pity the payoff wasn't bigger due to Astana's dumb conservative tactics, because Movistar deserved an even better result: Quintana in red with a dangerous gap.
Judging the comments written here even former pros working now as team directors or TV commentators don't get it. That is the level of understanding of the sport that scientific training and race radio driven riding has brought us.

Movistar showed some real guts today. I think their tactic towards the end was gutsy but correct: shed Jumbo domestiques, leave Roglic isolated. It then would take only Astana not riding to put him under real pressure, having to work himself. Alas, Astana were happy to defend a 4th place. Disappointing.

Also, PhilGil is back on form. Great teamwork from DQS - a joy to watch.
I meant Bala/Nairo/Landa not Carapaz but it is not comparable to FDJ as yes they would love 2 leaders but cant afford it but even if they could I bet they would not chase each other down. Bala is one of the greatest classics riders of all time but should never be allowed in a co leadership position as he is proven poison to teammates. Single leader worked fine for Indurian and I bet Bala would be really angry to be co leader in the classics
Considering his record in the classics there is no reason to not make him undisputed leader. You can have a plan "B" as Purito played in his time there but Valverde deserves the role that he's played in the classics.
In grand tours in this era of Sky/Ineos dominance, the competition has to come at them in less than conventional ways. Not that it has mattered considering the depth of talent and dollars that Sky/Ineos has at their disposal. But to try to match them one-on-one, one leader versus their one leader is playing into their hands.

Judging the comments written here even former pros working now as team directors or TV commentators don't get it. That is the level of understanding of the sport that scientific training and race radio driven riding has brought us.

exactly, all of the clueless pundits and commentators talk out of their asses and put fuel on the fire of this Quintana vs Movistar narrative. the Izoard stage at the Tour was a perfect example. anyone who thought Movistar were chasing their own rider needs to re-learn how cycling tactics work. i dont understand how these guys can watch hours and hours of cycling every year and still not get it.

Reactions: Carols
IU
He could have actually gone in red today, if his own team had not attacked from the peloton, and dropped the gap significantly.
Here you are close entering the other side, “hating” on Valverde and Movistar.

No Quintana would not be in red if his team did not attack. The gap was about 5:30 and Quintana lacked 2 minutes on the lead. Movistar effectively removed the Jumbo and UAE guys with their attack and the gap to the break went back when Movistar stopped attacking. So no, they didn’t make a huge difference the way you suggest.

This whole Valverde vs Quintana or “Movifail” is so overexaggerated and it’s a stupid narrative to push on.

The people in here constantly hating on Quintana always amaze me.

Either he is a wheel sucker, or he is disloyal for attacking.

He just can't win.

Astana also get no prizes, for not letting Jumbo and UAE kill themselves much more, before they started to contribute to controlling the gap.

They could have set up Roglic an d Pogacar for a complete meltdowns tomorrow, but they lost their cool too early.
From what I understand the purpose of Movistar driving the pace on that climb was to burn off Roglic's domestique's, which they did. Once that happened they relinquished their turns on the front.

From what I understand the purpose of Movistar driving the pace on that climb was to burn off Roglic's domestique's, which they did. Once that happened they relinquished their turns on the front.
That and they needed to finish with DQ pulling in for the sprint, naturally. You still want to race the next day.
Quintana did the smart thing and Movistar didn't shut him down as they were now winning on two fronts. Jumbo's guys are tired, Valverde is fresh or should be and prime to attack some more. Also; Pogacar is a more likely offensive player (unless he's gone complete Roglic) and that should take some heat off Movistar. These last days are going to show who has the stamina.

But what do you think would happen if Soler/Valverde and Lopez with his men started attacking simultaneously, after he was left isolated?
The thing is, Movistar (Soler/Valverde) did attack, and that dropped Lopez. Which is why after that group was brought back Astana started working. They were more worried keeping Lopez safe then risk him dropping to Valverde/Roglic and dropping more time.

Didn't you see that part?

Lopez was the weakest of the top 5. He was exposed after that climb when Movistar pulled. Thus Astana's move makes sense. Did everybody in this topic miss that who question Astana? Lopez was momentarily dropped...

Reactions: Red Rick
The thing is, Movistar (Soler/Valverde) did attack, and that dropped Lopez. Which is why after that group was brought back Astana started working. They were more worried keeping Lopez safe then risk him dropping to Valverde/Roglic and dropping more time.

Didn't you see that part?

Lopez was the weakest of the top 5. He was exposed after that climb when Movistar pulled. Thus Astana's move makes sense. Did everybody in this topic miss that who question Astana? Lopez was momentarily dropped...

It must have been during an extended commercial! KM please so I can hopefully go see it. Thanks.

what an amazing stage. Movi's tactics made sense. You never know what can happen if Rog doesn't have any team mates around to help with an issue (of any kind).

Maybe Astana were concerned that if they just let Nario go, then he would be in a position to definitely take one of the podium spots and that is ultimately what they're looking at as best case scenario now.

I imagine this was the fastest road stage ever in a Grand Tour. Can anybody confirm or prove me wrong?

I believe this stage held the record before today but am not entirely sure:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-france/1999/stage-4

View: https://twitter.com/irishpeloton/status/1171795543561031685

I believe that is the fastest race over 200km in cycling history. 50.63km/hr (31.39mph) average is crazy fast.

TRENDING THREADS