• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 stage 9: Andorra La Vella - Cortals d'Encamp > 94.4km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The narrative exists because people simply dont understand how cycling really works, are listening to commentators, haven't sat on a bike or are just plain stupid. Sorry to tell you the truth.
So the sky/ineos train is useless and 1 rider cant drag another up a mountain?

Like your hero I think you believe only 1 rider exists out there and im sure both Purito and Nairo would agree

Sorry to tell you the truth

I think the late attack by Valverde was a calculated gamble. If he bridges to Soler and Quintana without dragging Roglic and MAL with him, then the three Moviestar riders are likely to put even more time into Roglic and MAL, and maybe catch Pogacar (3 vs. 1). As it turns out, Roglic was very strong in coming back after his crash with the moto . . . but Valverde's move may not have had meaningful effect on what Roglic was doing. In the final half kilometer, Valverde was just hanging onto Roglic.

Reactions: topt
Movistar rode badly when they tried to crack Roglic instead of helping roglic to close the gap to MAL. And they were awful in not call soler earlier in the climb, specially when roglic crashed

Movistar rode badly when they tried to crack Roglic instead of helping roglic to close the gap to MAL. And they were awful in not call soler earlier in the climb, specially when roglic crashed
They should have had Quintana with Lopez in the first place, but Lopez just has the best acceleration and just flies away really fast before he gets trouble sustaining it for super long, whereas Quintana can really keep going after a much softer acceleration.

Epic stage.

Astana seemed one its way to make a big statement, until Lopez crashed. I think they made one mistake: Fuglsang waited to early. He should have been with Lopez on the flat, unpaved part from 11 to 6 km before the finish, exactly where Lopez got in trouble and crashed.

I think Quintana and Valverde did everything right today: fatiguing Roglic by attacking alternately. It's a pity that Soler spoiled this by showing bad sportsmanship. He wouldn't have won the stage anyway.

Roglic is still the big favourite. He can take 2 or 3 minutes on the Colombians in the ITT. However if they keep attacking him like today he hasn't got it in the bag yet.

Pogacar is exceptional for his age. He becomes the fifth candidate for the GC. I don't know what he's worth in a time trial.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I thought they got it spot on. Roglic is the bigger danger who they need time on more than MAL at this stage. If they could have got him to crack with 15km to go it would have been huge; definitely worth sacrificing 10 seconds to MAL to try it.

What I really like to know is how far behind Roglic was after the moto incident.
Yes. I keep trying to imagine what all happened while the pictures were rained out. Apparently, Roglic was still behind MAL when Roglic crashed (I guess MAL crashed first, got back on his bike and continued, and then Roglic comes up soon thereafter and crashes too -- but was Roglic still behind Valverde and Quintana at this point, or were they riding together?).

I think Soler should have been given the nod or called back immediately. Pogacar obviously had something in reserve. A couple of seconds for Quintana won't make any difference after the TT. Movistar have to wear down Roglic constantly to have any chance. Roglic's domestiques will be switched off in the TT. Interesting point of the race.

I thought they got it spot on. Roglic is the bigger danger who they need time on more than MAL at this stage. If they could have got him to crack with 15km to go it would have been huge; definitely worth sacrificing 10 seconds to MAL to try it.
That's what I was thinking when it was happening, after MAL first attacked. Bennett was gassed and so wasn't able to help Roglic much. Then Powless tried, but he was also gassed. I think Jumbo nearly waited too long to have Sepp Kuss sit up and wait for the Valverde/Quintana/Roglic/Poga group to help Roglic with the 1-2 punch from Valverde and Quintana.

That's what I was thinking when it was happening, after MAL first attacked. Bennett was gassed and so wasn't able to help Roglic much. Then Powless tried, but he was also gassed. I think Jumbo nearly waited too long to have Sepp Kuss sit up and wait for the Valverde/Quintana/Roglic/Poga group to help Roglic with the 1-2 punch from Valverde and Quintana.
Sepp Kuss was waiting for the flat part between the climbs where he could be by far the most help.

Kuss did a great job.

This race and it's racers are fantastic. No negative racing for the most part. People making risky dynamic moves..Lopez really going for it. Valverde wearing the rainbow very proudly, Jumbo back and forth with Astana.
Movistars racing in the last @35-40 k was awesome win or lose.
The race looks like it is free of race radios and heavy team car statistician tactics ..it has radios sure but it would appear that the instructions are to "go for it!!!" .
Glad to see Kuss racing OK today..I am going to start drinking imported Slovenian everything! Beer water juice whatever!!tiny country big cycling presence.
What is wrong with Mitchelton -Scott a little listless

TRENDING THREADS