• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 13 (Muros > Mirador de Ézaro 33.7 km ITT)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, it was quite a bit more engaging than the usual imo and the jarring split made it a bit more tense (who was going to smash the finale vs fail)

I think he probably just went a bit too deep on the flat, might have flown up the climb on another day but traded +30s going into it. Always hard to know the right plan when there's more calculations than just distance
I think Roglic and Carthy probably took a little bit of gass off in teh few minutes before the bike switch. Carapaz was gaining time for a minute there.

El6da5rWMAI3V_q

Barta lost the stage on... the bike change.

I think Movistar maybe the king makers of this race

They wont be happy with Mas position and they are theonly team that can take it to TJV

Carapaz may benefit ...but either way he is going to have to do something before Saturday as is Carthy if they want to win

Also Dan Martin needs to do something to get on that podium

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Movistar maybe the king makers of this race

They wont be happy with Mas position and they are theonly team that can take it to TJV

Carapaz may benefit ...but either way he is going to have to do something before Saturday as is Carthy if they want to win

Also Dan Martin needs to do something to get on that podium
Except Mas didn't look better than Carthy/Carapaz, he might lose even more time. Movistar would probably go for stage wins especially for Valverde. Valverde with 2/3 other guys to help him wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: richwallone
Expectations (at least my expectations): Roglic to gain a lot of time on his nearest rivals on the flat, consolidate or lose a little on the climb, win comfortably (in GC, not stage win).

Reality: Roglic gained very little on the flat but gained more time on the climb, win comfortably after all (in GC, stage win was very close).

First intermediate times were very weird, finish times actually not that much (apart from an impressive Dan Martin and rather disappointing Enric Mas).

Mas bike change looked like he forgot that he has to change bikes so they improvised, otherwise what would be the point of changing bike in a steep corner of all places where your mechanic cant even get a good push off...as we saw with roglic the whole point of that designated pit stop was that it was flatter and jumbo mechanic did a good running push
I guess they tried to keep inertia for as long as possible
I'm not sure of the actual advantage considering the extra time needed to get the bike from the car rack.

We don't know yet the punishment, it was kind of a joke my post. But I don't expect anything harsh really. Probably 10 seconds penalty. Not sure what the regulations say.
The regulations say that they can change bike from the car at any point of the race with a push no longer than 5s. It's the push duration what may cost them a punishment, not the bike change.

I kind of like it. With the GC still open, stages that might otherwise have been a bit meh will be raced aggressively.

I'm not so sure Carapaz can take back 40s on just stage 17 alone so he'll have to try on the other stages. Stage 16 looks like it could be one to watch.
You are right about every stage being unpredictable right now (especially that it's Vuelta), but one mountain stage in the 3rd week is just not enough.

I remember when Vuelta did this one year, I believe it was the year Cobo "won" it. The toughest challenge in the final week was Pena Cabarga ffs..

TRENDING THREADS