• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 16 (Salamanca - Ciudad Rodrigo, 162 km)

Really dangerous day for the GC riders, with the opening 20k looking like prime echelon terrain under current weather forecasts.
0f868

aaabc

(profile below matches up from the junction to Madroñal)
rebollosa_alt.jpg

El%20Robledo%20(Casares)%20x%20Riomalo%20de%20Arriba,%20desde%20Mestas.gif

I wouldn't hold my breath over it. That Guadalajara stage last year had cross-tailwinds the whole way on a flat/downhill course, and Roglic still only really lost time to Quintana. The climbs tomorrow aren't huge, but they're enough to deter anyone from doing anything reckless from the gun.

If someone can pull something off, my hat is off to them.

Yeah, but that was not Roglic's fault. If Valverde had gone with Quintana, he would have won the race. Jumbo were completely caught out as was shown in their Vuelta documentary. However, it is not going to happen today.

Interesting stage. This should definately be something for the break.
I see Valverde on the top 3 or even top 2 on the odds sites.
However, I think he'll be hunted down if trying to breakaway. If not by TJV or Ineos, then at least by Bora, EF Education and Israel Start-up Nation.
And I don't exactly see him up there in a gathered GC field in the finish. Oh yes, if we wrote 2003 :p

How's the weather?
Depends a bit on which weather forecasts you use. The one I normally trust in says
Temps : ~17°C (could though be a bit colder in the heights during the day)
Winds: 5-7 m/s from SE, i.e. for the last part direct tailwind.
Preticipation: None. However bit of rain drops starting between 5pm and 6pm local time (<0.1mm per hour)
To me it sounds like perfect weather for cycling.

Last edited:
So Cavagna is in the break?
Crazy guy. How often has he been in a break or on the attack this year?
A lot;)

He has the most km in the breakaways in the TdF:

... and he is up there in the Vuelta:

Reactions: BlueRoads

TRENDING THREADS