• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 17 (Sequeros > Alto de la Covatilla , 178.2 km)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On a different topic - How long before FDJ consider shifting their focus a bit more towards Gaudu? Another really good ride from him today.

Perhaps a concerted focus on the Vuelta next season and see how he goes with a bit more support and without being leaned on at Le Tour?
He said he likes bad weather and he looks very good on long climbs so I think Groupama should send him to the Giro.

He's a bit hit or miss though. He was terrible for most of the time after the season restarted and this is not the first time he takes a long time to get in decent shape.

Reactions: richwallone
4 stage wins, GC and points jersey ain't a bad return

Exactly. What else could he have reasonably accomplished? GTs reward an all-around, consistent rider who can climb, TT, manage strategy and (almost always) has a strong team. That fits Roglic to a T.

Just as impressive to me is that Roglic, like Nibali, can mix it up in one-day races.

I'm not going to deify the guy, I agree that his style of racing isn't exciting, but you cannot say he isn't a great bike racer.

One thing that struck me regarding Ineos is how disappointing their team was. I really thought Sosa and Froome would at least be on the pointy end when the road started going up. Carapaz is a damn good rider and I'm looking forward to his next GT. I've mentioned this in another thread but it could be a tough TdF choice vs. Bernal.

yeah pathetic, they just needed to give him one more climber and he would have finished it, kwiatkowski or Moscon would have been enough
This, after asking him to prepare for the Giro instead of the Tour, then switching races a week before the Tour ensuring he couldn't be 100% there, then winning the Giro with a rider who was supposed to be working for him, then asking him to be joint leader for the Vuelta but somehow managing to pick a weak team to support him from their superstar roster. Even after today, Movistar have treated him better than Ineo$$$ but on the plus side he does have a lot more money now

I just finished watching.

Chapeau to Gaudu on the stage win!

Final 3kms were a real battle but Primoz was up to the task. What a Vuelta he has had, 4 stage wins, the Points jersey and the Rojo!!!

This after an arduous season where he won L'Ain, his National Championship, 2nd in Le Tour, a Monument LBL and still managed the mental and physical strength to get over the line a winner when someone mentally weaker would have folded like a cheap suit.

He's not a glamorous attacker like Alberto, but he can climb well, TT well and has a deadly acceleration on steep finishes. He has used those abilities to Win 2 GTs, Podium 2 other GTS and win a Monument in 1.5 years. He is a Grand racer! Kudos Primoz!

Last edited:
I thought his speed gave him two stage wins and couple of more bonus seconds, which equals or tops time difference to Carapaz. So in physical sense of the word, he's the faster guy...
I'm fine with the race not being decided only on physics.
I'm fed up with people bending words meanings to fit their agenda.
Roglic has been faster than Carapaz for a few moments, not in global terms. And Sam Bennett has been faster than both Roglic and Carapaz. For a few moments, I mean.

Meanwhile, Dumoulin is farther and farther away from what we thought he could be just a couple year ago, a legit Tour contender. Pro cycling field map change faster than most other professional sports!

This is always the crushing thing in a sport like cycling. Many heroes really only burn bright for a few seasons and even many of the absolute elite will have their greatness squashed by time.

True team sports are so much more relaxing by comparison - Alright it's not been as great following Arsenal since 2010 as it was when I was growing up, but the club's not going away any time soon.

Reactions: JosefK and gunara
Mas declaring they were fighting for the 4th in GC...
Perfectly reasonable. They had nearly 2 minutes to gain to do that, but Martin was dropped, and isolated, whereas Mas had a teammate. A pajará can happen to anybody. Somebody up front takes an illegal feed or something else to cop a time penalty and that 4th might become a podium, and so on. Manoeuvring yourself into position so that if something goes awry for the obvious best, you're the one that profits is a skill in and of itself.
Movistar supported him at the Giro and he was supposed to lead them at the Vuelta, until he injured himself in a criterium that his team didn't want him riding in the first place. They might not have shown enormous trust in him but he seriously let them down in the Vuelta before jumping ship.
Well, the other thing was that they weren't given the chance to negotiate with him. You can say that they didn't show enormous trust in him, but Acquadro had already signed him up with Ineos before that Giro. It was already rumoured back in March last year and known as pretty much a done deal before the Giro. Movistar did right by him in the Giro and felt they had earned the right to at least get the chance to match the Ineos offer and, as the team that had brought him over to Europe and developed him, felt they deserved to get the final word even if Ineos' bids took it above what they were willing to pay and they had to let him go. Acquadro didn't give them that chance, and then to add insult to injury you got that situation at the Vuelta with him injuring himself and letting them down to end things on a sour note.
yeah pathetic, they just needed to give him one more climber and he would have finished it, kwiatkowski or Moscon would have been enough
Here's the problem: you say they needed to give him one more climber, but you named two ATVs. The guys they gave him who are real climbers were Sosa and Froome, but Froome was clearly not in anything like peak shape and Sosa was woeful, and the best guy he had was another ATV, Amador. He didn't need to have an extra climber in the lineup, he needed one of the two they brought to be at least half decent.

On a different topic - How long before FDJ consider shifting their focus a bit more towards Gaudu? Another really good ride from him today.

Perhaps a concerted focus on the Vuelta next season and see how he goes with a bit more support and without being leaned on at Le Tour?
Not sure. Gaudu is flying under the radar but right now screams 'potentially great stage/KOM hunter' more so than 'could win GT'.

Reactions: Luthor
Congrats to Gaudu, he has done a great job this Vuelta. This is probably the best outcome for him.
Last man is your list is already celebrating
He is celebrating ever since WC RR. He already got it last year. Probably the podium is gonna be Rog, Pog, WvA. WvA too many 2nd places at the end of the season. Missing Flanders and both WCs is gonna cost him I think.
No errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr that errrrrrrrrrrrrrr is errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr not errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr what errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i errrrrrrrrrrrrr meant.
Making fun of the language barrier, how classy of you. A lot of people are giving interviews in Spanish/French, where is your energy then. So salty in this thread, why tho? Did you just lost a bet or smth?

Reactions: Speadge

TRENDING THREADS