• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 17 (Sequeros > Alto de la Covatilla , 178.2 km)

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Same here. Roglic must be the most boring GT winner of the current generation. Follow the train, attack final 400m for boniseconds, rinse, repeat, wait for ITT.

Roglic won the Vuelta thanks to boniseconds. Take all boni's away and even the ITT couldn't save him.
You say even the ITT couldn't save him, as if it isn't already a gift for the pure climbers that the only TT in the entire race finished on a 2km @ 14% climb.

Yeah, Kelderman or Hindley winning would have been much more exciting?

Those were definitely two exhilarating kilometers. The exception proves the rule.
Any of them could've been exciting winners if they'd made the difference themselves. Instead Kelderman got his ass dragged up to Piancavallo, Hindley then got dragged up to Lagi di Cancano, and TGH never really had to to much himself except sit on Dennis.

When I saw Dennis dropping Kelderman on Sestriere I just couldn't stop laughing. So much excitement in the NID wins.

Reactions: Luthor and JosefK
you better tell that to all the teams, cause I guess they dont know it yet
Roglic in his last four grand tours: 2019 Giro, placed 3rd; 2019 Vuelta, placed first; 2020 TDF, placed second; 2020 Vuelta, placed first. So, in his last 4 grand tours, he's podiumed all of them, won 2, finished 2nd, and finished 3rd. . . . Clear signs of a weak final week rider. :grin:

I can understand Movistar is annoyed they were constantly getting marauded by Ineos, but Carapaz is a guy with a financially not brilliant or secure family background, so money might mean something different to him than for a slightly spoiled European, and also Movistar did not really show enormous trust in him, so I can understand his decision.
Movistar supported him at the Giro and he was supposed to lead them at the Vuelta, until he injured himself in a criterium that his team didn't want him riding in the first place. They might not have shown enormous trust in him but he seriously let them down in the Vuelta before jumping ship.

It's 100% a situation where Contador or Nibali would just attack balls deep themselves to find out how good Jumbo really is. If they're dissuaded by Bennet or Kuss that's on them lol.

Roglic has attacked this Vuelta when he had the legs to so. He attacked when he had the legs to do so in the Tour. He was by far the most aggressive GC rider in the 2018 Tour. People just overrate his climbing only to *** on him and his team.

Exactly. He rides to his strenghts. And that is a short burst of power at the end of the stage, on shorter very steep climbs and in the TTs. He is not the Contador/Froome type of climber where he would attack 10k to go on a MTF, drop everyone and just keep increasing the gap. When it comes to long, sustained climbing efforts there are people equal or better than him - especially when he is not in top form. He will always be better at the start of each week in a GT than at the end. He will always be better in shorter stages where the pace is easier in the first part. These are his strenghts and that is what get him wins.

So why would he race the way that does not suit his qualities? So some people could be more entertained? He is paid to win races. The team know what he is good at, they utilise that and more often than not, he deliveres.

Exactly. He rides to his strenghts. And that is a short burst of power at the end of the stage, on shorter very steep climbs and in the TTs. He is not the Contador/Froome type of climber where he would attack 10k to go on a MTF, drop everyone and just keep increasing the gap. When it comes to long, sustained climbing efforts there are people equal or better than him - especially when he is not in top form. He will always be better at the start of each week in a GT than at the end. He will always be better in shorter stages where the pace is easier in the first part. These are his strenghts and that is what get him wins.

So why would he race the way that does not suit his qualities? So some people could be more entertained? He is paid to win races. The team know what he is good at, they utilise that and more often than not, he deliveres.
There have been some cases where I he could've probably just dropped everyone solo, but you know those because when he takes off he immedaitelly takes a heap of time. Col de Portet in the Dauphine and Moncalvillo come to mind.

Well, Roglic struggling wasn't surprising. He has been operating at an extremely high level since L'Ain/Dauphine. Won the National Champs RR against Pogacar, won L'Ain against strong competition, would have won Dauphine without the crash in the penultimate stage, was 2nd in Tour, was 6th in WCRR, won LBL and now he is doing the Vuelta. The route and an easier final week helped him, but still a very impressive job by him to lead the Vuelta heading into the parade stage.

Also, Carapaz should have attacked earlier, perhaps that could've been the difference.

I can understand Movistar is annoyed they were constantly getting marauded by Ineos, but Carapaz is a guy with a financially not brilliant or secure family background, so money might mean something different to him than for a slightly spoiled European, and also Movistar did not really show enormous trust in him, so I can understand his decision.
Dude is a national hero in Ecuador after the Giro, so probably a lot safer than most cyclists.

Reactions: Fernandez