• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 9 (B.M. Cid Campeador. Castrillo del Val > Aguilar de Campoo, 157,7 km)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just slightly too agressive move. Jury would likely not have done anything about it without Trek's protest. But once they were required to review it, it would have been very difficult for them to judge that the move was okay. Or can you imagine jury officially concluding that moves like this are normal and allowed?

But otherwise Sam clearly the best in the actual sprint so shame that it had to end like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Just slightly too agressive move. Jury would likely not have done anything about it without Trek's protest. But once they were required to review it, it would have been very difficult for them to judge that the move was okay. Or can you imagine jury officially concluding that moves like this are normal and allowed?

But otherwise Sam clearly the best in the actual sprint so shame that it had to end like that.
They could have relegated Liepins too for changing his line.

I hate seeing yellow cards given out in soccer/rugby for the player being fouled retaliating, and the original offender gets off free.

They could have relegated Liepins too for changing his line.

I hate seeing yellow cards given out in soccer/rugby for the player being fouled retaliating, and the original offender gets off free.
What? Moving from wheel to wheel is normal in the run-up to the sprint. Liepins moved maybe 30 cm to the right. Bennett risked losing his leadout's wheel fair and square and decided that was reason to pull an aggressive move not once but twice. You see sprinters losing their leadout because another rider sneaks in all the time. That is sprinting. Liepins trying to get on Morkov's wheel was as gentle a move as it gets and he was almost pushed off his bike for it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Translation, the big name sprinters should be allowed to bully the lesser known sprinters around.

Mørkøv doesn't agree with Lefevere. He basically said in an interview that of course a guy like Liepins has to fight for his position in the sprint, and it's just cool that the young up-and-coming sprinters have the confidence to be up there.

Generally you come across as a reasonable and level-headed poster, this talk of 'whiney little babies' seemed out of character for you.

I‘ve no time for people who run to tell tales to teacher unless there is very, very good reason and no reasonable alternative.

As far as I’m concerned that was a sprint approach where nothing much of note happened, beyond one guy trying to cut in between a sprinter and leadout and getting bounced back away, both of which are actions that happen all the time. The fight for position before a sprint involves a certain amount of physicality. If that horrifies a rider, he’s better off not being involved. This is quite a distinct issue from lane changing in the sprint itself, closing the door on riders coming from behind etc, which actually are dangerous manouevres.

Lefevere being Lefevere of course has to go further than is reasonable and basically say that the no name sprinters aren’t entitled to fight for a place. He’s wrong, Morkov is right on that. Liepins had every right to try to cut into a leadout, his team just shouldn’t whine about it when he gets unceremoniously bounced back out of the attempt. It’s a rough old game.

Last edited:
Reactions: richwallone
Nothing against Sam Bennett personally... I’m a Sagan fan but I gotta commend him that he didn’t b*tch and complain in the Tour when everybody and their mother were jumping on Sagan when he was DQ-ed. He just said, something like “oh well that’s sprinting...” and won the green jersey fair and square.

Am I happy, or fine, that he was disqualified today? I don’t care, really. If he at least left it at that one push, he’d be fine... The second one was completely unnecessary, as many of you mentioned above, and I’m pretty sure his win would stand if he didn’t do it...

As to sprinting in general, I don’t like this overly sensitive judging and second guessing of sprinters, and their instincts... Have a properly designed finishing chute (Not that downhill Tour de Pologne abomination!!! Jesus Christ!!! Who ever thought of putting a stage finish next to streetcar tracks???), and let them fight it out on their own terms... I’m sure they’ll be just fine and can deal properly with all the non-sprinters who should have no business being there and messing up their sprints if they cannot handle the pressure.

TRENDING THREADS