• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 9 (B.M. Cid Campeador. Castrillo del Val > Aguilar de Campoo, 157,7 km)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Petacchi was a gentleman, and while the three others could pull some moves, I can't remember them causing a crash Cav-style.

Sure, but even the guys who were themselves very unaggressive all rode in periods where much more aggression was normal and complaining about anything short of full on psycho stuff was less common. I don‘t agree with decisions like today, but I do think it’s good that sprints are more regulated today. In my experience, old sprinters tend to lean a bit too hard into the idea that it’s a rough sport and you take your knocks.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Bennett is a nice guy and i really like him, but even if this were not necessarily dangerous, it was still completely unnecessary and unsportsmanlike/aggressive behavior which needs to be banned from cycling. If someone slaps me in the face, chances are this is not going to cause any injuries, but i'm still not going to accept it, lol. Let's hope they will punish these gestures consequently going forward.

What if Liepins had crashed, would Mr. "We will go to court, he should be put in jail" Lefevre sing a different tune?
Are you trying to compare this to ramming a rider into the boarding? Or you think that because Lefevere is wrong now, that he was wrong then also?

For me it was more a case of slightly over-aggressive defending of position. The TREK rider was trying to get on his lead-out man. Calls for a defense, but maybe he went a little too far. It's sprinting, things get a little dicey at times. I don't mind the relegation as it was slightly dangerous, but I wouldn't take any calls for Bennett to be more careful too far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Bennett is a nice guy and i really like him, but even if this were not necessarily dangerous, it was still completely unnecessary and unsportsmanlike/aggressive behavior which needs to be banned from cycling. If someone slaps me in the face, chances are this is not going to cause any injuries, but i'm still not going to accept it, lol. Let's hope they will punish these gestures consequently going forward.

Are you trying to compare this to ramming a rider into the boarding? Or you think that because Lefevere is wrong now, that he was wrong then also?

I think it's more that an incident like today being let go as fine results in situations like Groenewegen. It's better for races to clamp down on smaller things like today and continuously do so, so that it alters sprinters behaviour and prevent the larger ones from happening.

Lefevre is coming off a bit hypocritical here I think.

I'm not comparing anything. I think he was right in calling for safer racing initially. His calls for Groenewegen to be jailed were comically extreme.

I think his actions are those of a massive hypocrite. On one hand he's demanding more safety for riders but when one of his riders is the one endangering others and is held accountable he suddenly does a full 180 degree turn and shouts about how unfair the rules are, the rules that are in place to keep the riders as safe as possible.
It's not surprising though, we've seen this time and time again. He only cares about his team's benefit.

TRENDING THREADS