• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2021 route rumours

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Has anyone openly said they are targeting the Vuelta before the route is announced? Like for instance Landa will supposedly do Giro and Tour, Froome will obviously do the Tour, Roglic and Pogacar will almost definitely do the Tour...

Has anyone openly said they are targeting the Vuelta before the route is announced? Like for instance Landa will supposedly do Giro and Tour, Froome will obviously do the Tour, Roglic and Pogacar will almost definitely do the Tour...
For now:
Uran, Ciccone, Almeida, Lopez, Mas, Großschartner and perhaps Kuss

But as always the big names will decide after their big goal (giro or Tour) of the season, if they will also start at the vuelta...

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
Contador did in 2008 after Astana was banned from Giro and Tour. They were re-instated to Giro about week before the race which allowed him to participate and win.
Valverde did so in 2009, Anton in 2010 I think. Horner in 2013 or I dunno if he was injured before.

I don't think there's too much difference between guys who just do the Vuelta and those who target Giro/Vuelta

Valverde did so in 2009, Anton in 2010 I think. Horner in 2013 or I dunno if he was injured before.

I don't think there's too much difference between guys who just do the Vuelta and those who target Giro/Vuelta
Samu did it too in 2009. CAS and CONI messed up by forcing Valverde out of the Tour that year.

Scanning through web sites in Spanish for rumours/news about the route I've read that Pidcock is planning to ride the Vuelta.

Local news confirm Covadonga and Cuitu Negru. And that's the end of the Gamoniteiro but no Gamoniteiro rumour.

The text is behind a paywall. I found a backdoor but there's nothing relevant other than an enumeration of climbs in the area recently used.

Local news confirm Covadonga and Cuitu Negru. And that's the end of the Gamoniteiro but no Gamoniteiro rumour.

The text is behind a paywall. I found a backdoor but there's nothing relevant other than an enumeration of climbs in the area recently used.
Being the journalist responsible for writing the Gamoniteiro but no Gamoniteiro articles every year is like my 3rd most wanted to job behind the 3r or 4th goal keeper of a top football team and being the coach who tells Rafael Nadal to hit topspin to the backhand

There will be a full stage in Cantabria and a stage departure in Unquera, at the border with Asturias. That will be Unquera - Covadonga.

The text of the news is protected by paywall, but the start and finish of the Cantabrian stage are not yet decided.

Wow

We get Gamoniteiro but not Gamoniteiro twice in one year?
I'd be looking for a different Gamoniteiro complain.
Asturian TV goes from possibility to stating confirmation from the Vuelta.

The town at the foot of Picón Blanco has plans to pave another road to the summit to have additional options.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Red Rick
I'd be looking for a different Gamoniteiro complain.
Asturian TV goes from possibility to stating confirmation from the Vuelta.

The town at the foot of Picón Blanco has plans to pave another road to the summit to have additional options.
Please tell me they do use the hard side of Cobertoria before?

Anyway, friendship with Gamoniteiro rumors over, Canary Islands my new best friends

Please tell me they do use the hard side of Cobertoria before?

Anyway, friendship with Gamoniteiro rumors over, Canary Islands my new best friends
Nobody knows what side they'll use.
The town of Lena (at the start of Cobertoria's hard side) seems to be very active promoting itself as a sports and nature touristic destination. Cuitu Negru and La Cubilla are also in Lena's municipality.
The odd thing here is that the last 5 kms of Gamoniteiro, just after the fork from Cobertoria's main road, are on the 'other' side of the mountain and on a different municipality's land.
I don't know if this may spark a local dispute on who owns the mountain, gets TV camera time, pays for the stage and what side of Cobertoria is used.

AS brings today the MTF statistics:
  • 8 MTFs + 1 short explosive murito
  • 6 never seen in the Vuelta
  • 4 never seen in any professional race

That makes 2 MTFs that have featured before in the Vuelta: Covadonga and what else?
There are rumours about Galicia hosting the end of the race (Ancares?) and a mountain stage in Almería (Calar Alto+Velefique). If AS is right, one of these is either dropped or a downhill finish.

Then there are 2 MTFs that have featured in smaller races. We know one of them is Picón Blanco and rumours say the second one might be Sierra de Bernia.

The last paragaph in AS article has some interesting bits:
  • There will be mountain stages with no MTF
  • The route might be 'more tradicional' with easier stages in the first week and a last week with more accumulation of hard stages.
  • End of the race in Galicia expected to be confirmed

AS brings today the MTF statistics:
  • 8 MTFs + 1 short explosive murito
  • 6 never seen in the Vuelta
  • 4 never seen in any professional race

That makes 2 MTFs that have featured before in the Vuelta: Covadonga and what else?
There are rumours about Galicia hosting the end of the race (Ancares?) and a mountain stage in Almería (Calar Alto+Velefique). If AS is right, one of these is either dropped or a downhill finish.

Then there are 2 MTFs that have featured in smaller races. We know one of them is Picón Blanco and rumours say the second one might be Sierra de Bernia.

The last paragaph in AS article has some interesting bits:
  • There will be mountain stages with no MTF
  • The route might be 'more tradicional' with easier stages in the first week and a last week with more accumulation of hard stages.
  • End of the race in Galicia expected to be confirmed
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there will be 1 ITT between 30 and 35km in length.

But Vueltas are the most consistent in routes so I just hope for decent pacing and selection of MTFs along with 2 or 3 tricky non MTF stages.

The stage in Cantabria will connect the coastal towns of Laredo and Soto de la Marina. It looks just one of those Vuelta flat stages where the likes of Sam Bennett drop from the peloton with 30km to go. :p

This will be on Tuesday 31st of Aug, just after the second rest day. I guess the Asturian stages will go next. This is consistent with the harder than usual last week pointed out by AS.

Rumour's digest:

Stage 5 will be Burgo de Osma - Guadalajara. Likely similar to that memorable echelons stage from 2019.

Covadonga and Gamoniteiro confirmed on the first two days of September (Wed and Thu)

Friday's stage will start in Tapia de Casariego, next to the border with Galicia.
And this confirms that the race will visit the province of Lugo, followed with the usual Ancares especulation.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco

TRENDING THREADS