• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2021 route rumours

It was known since last year that the Vuelta 2021 would start in Burgos to celebrate the 800 years of the construction of its cathedral. According ot the rumours there would be three stages in the province of Burgos, one of them likely to be a MTF. Flip a coin to chose between the two MTFs that feature in the Vuelta a Burgos.

The news from today is that the first stage will be an 8km ITT with the start ramp inside the cathedral and going over the castle hill also used in the Vuelta a Burgos.

Does Jesus love cycling?

Meanwhile Proudhomme is wondering WTF has Guillén done!

Has to get Covadonga right?

Why?

Rumour is that the first MTF will be Picón Blanco. Very similar climb to the Moncalvillo one from the other day.

Guillén also said that they'll try to go to other regions that they didn't go to this year. There's been some talk of Malaga province, maybe something like this. Maybe also Calar Alto or Sierra Nevada. Surely not Haza del Lino, because let's just ignore that great climb that is right next to Granada and has five (!) asphalted sides.

Last edited:
Why?

Rumour is that the first MTF will be Picón Blanco. Very similar climb to the Moncalvillo one from the other day.

Guillén also said that they'll try to go to other regions that they didn't go to this year. There's been some talk of Malaga province. Maybe also Calar Alto or Sierra Nevada. Surely not Haza del Lino, because let's just ignore that great climb that is right next to Granada and has five (!) asphalted sides.
Honestly it's like Alpe d'Huez I sort of blindly assume it's in every other year.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Hopefully a stage finish in Murcia to honour the don.

Agreed. Hopefully they'll have one stage in Murcia with a finish somewhere in or city the capitol city of Murcia to honor Alejandro. In a perfect world you finish a Sunday stage in/near the city of Murcia, rest day Monday and start the Tuesday stage from the center of the city. That way it would give them extra time if they want it to do a special presentation for him at the podium ceremony.

It was known since last year that the Vuelta 2021 would start in Burgos to celebrate the 800 years of the construction of its cathedral. According ot the rumours there would be three stages in the province of Burgos, one of them likely to be a MTF. Flip a coin to chose between the two MTFs that feature in the Vuelta a Burgos.

The news from today is that the first stage will be an 8km ITT with the start ramp inside the cathedral and going over the castle hill also used in the Vuelta a Burgos.

Does Jesus love cycling?

Meanwhile Proudhomme is wondering WTF has Guillén done!

Will the opening stage finish inside the cathedral too if they do a loop circuit?

• Haha
Since starting in Burgos, I'd love if they did Ermita de Alba again. Maybe a repeat of the same route they did in 2015.

Might be too early to do a stage that hard in the Vuelta but if they did it on stage 4/5 it might work. If they're doing Murcia aswell, I'll assume the intent is to from Burgos to Basque area and then down the coast before going up to Madrid

Last edited:
Galician press reports rumors of 3-4 stages in Galicia next year with the Vuelta finishing in Santiago de Compostela like in 2014, rather than in Madrid.

In 2014 they did two hilly stages on Thursday and Friday, then they finished on Puerto de Ancares on Saturday, climbing it through its hardest side. Contador won the stage.

Ancares is a mountain pass with four different sides, but I'm afraid we'll see another finish at the top if it's climbed next year. Plenty of other options in Galicia as well, of course.

perfil-por-pan-do-zarco.png

vuelta_espana_etapa20_g_2014_unipublic.jpg

Galician press reports rumors of 3-4 stages in Galicia next year with the Vuelta finishing in Santiago de Compostela like in 2014, rather than in Madrid.

In 2014 they did two hilly stages on Thursday and Friday, then they finished on Puerto de Ancares on Saturday, climbing it through its hardest side. Contador won the stage.

Ancares is a mountain pass with four different sides, but I'm afraid we'll see another finish at the top if it's climbed next year. Plenty of other options in Galicia as well, of course.

perfil-por-pan-do-zarco.png

vuelta_espana_etapa20_g_2014_unipublic.jpg
Ancares is a great climb, but not like this.

Yeah I was impressed with Ancares last time around and hand't realised it had a much steeper side. I'd like to see this instead of Folgueiras but I guess that's not possible

3ec12cc9a88fa6ac02cbe7870f67481ao.gif

It's certainly possible, but the descent would have to be asphalted. If Unipublic wanted it, the Galician region and the town council(s) would certainly asphalt the road in a heartbeat. It would make for a monster 1+2 combo, though Folgueiras de Aigas + Ancares is already very hard.

Navia-Puerto%20de%20Ancares%20160kms.jpg

But with @Descender's stage finnish

That's the tricky bit, though. The problem with my finish, and the reason why I'm skeptical that we'll see it happen, is that the stage would finish in León, not in Galicia. And since Galicia will be paying for the stage, they'd probably want the finish to be in Galicia.

One solution to that is finishing at the top of Ancares, which marks the border. But that's just meh.

I'd prefer an alternative: take a right turn 2km from the top of Ancares (see profile above, crossroads to "Suárbol") and descend through here (from > Balouta at km 2), and finish in Piornedo (km 10) or all the way down in Navia de Suarna.

AncaresW.gif

It's the same thing we did after climbing Ancares (until Cruz de Cespedosa, 2km from summit) the first time, only that the first time we climbed through Balouta, the second-hardest side:

AncaresN.gif

It would look like this:

Sarria-Navia-de-Suarna.jpg

To tell the truth I'd be happy if they just did the Albergue de Ancáres finish that PRC suggested (and I used in my 5th Vuelta in the Race Design Thread), with Cruz de Cespedosa only instead of the pass.

Hell, I'd settle for them climbing to Cruz de Cespedosa via Pan do Zarco then descending the 2011 side and reclimbing Pan do Zarco, making it a bit like doing the Coll de La Rabassa before Naturlandia in 2008, or the traditional Vuelta a Burgos route climbing Pasil de Rozavientos on the shoulder of the Lagunas de Neila before a second ascent going all the way to the lakes. Doing the Pan do Zarco side twice would at least give multiple platforms for attacking, and a profile that's not too dissimilar from the Ermita de Alba stage a few years back, only with Sierra Morela being tougher than Cordal north and the final climb being a bit longer.

TRENDING THREADS