• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 17 (Unquera - Lagos de Covadonga, 185.8 km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I really like the whole story of a noname wearing the leaders jersey so deep into a gt but just saying people, don't start thinking about him holding onto it (or even the podium for that matter). People always start dreaming when a case like this arises and people get disappointed every single time. Not to forget that this is a much more hopeless case than for example Alaphilippe in 2019 or even Voeckler in 2011.

I know dreaming feels great but don't do this to your sanity.
Well make sure you watch these last stages so they’re very boring and noneventful to allow him to win. Just inform us all first so we can all bet on him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I reckon Bernal will go for it this week. All or nothing. It will be interesting if Mas has the balls/legs to put his podium at risk and go for the win. I am really hoping Roglic has a bad day or 2 so he has to gain back a good amount of time in the ITT to win overall. I will go for a Bernal win today, but won't gain much time from the others.
You're right. If Bernal has anything in his legs, he should go for a long shot, even at any potential cost of blowing up tomorrow. It's still Covadonga and this win will be remembered... as random top 5 in GC is nothing for Tour and Giro winner.

I think the Lagos de Covadonga climb is perfect for Roglič and in his current form he should be able to be the best among GC riders. But there is a possibility of thunderstorms and heavy rain towards the end of the stage, so it'll make the racing more unpredictable.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I dont care if Roglic takes 10 min from everyone, if Ecking wins the damn thing or if Yates attacks from 60 km away but I dont want to see another procession in the favorites group. And for the love of god I dont want to hear " They are not pushing hard this stage because tomorrow will be tougher".

I dont care if Roglic takes 10 min from everyone, if Ecking wins the damn thing or if Yates attacks from 60 km away but I dont want to see another procession in the favorites group. And for the love of god I dont want to hear " They are not pushing hard this stage because tomorrow will be tougher".
If they spend energy today, they cannot save it tomorrow.

But really I think it's more that the mountain stages were so bad in the 2nd week.

TRENDING THREADS