• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 6 (Requena - Montaña de Cullera, 158.3 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A Valverde stage win is probably of highest priority for Movistar, just behind the team classification....I'm kidding. Just behind the GC victory and probably higher priority than a podium place. Even if Mas or Lopez lose 10 or 20s to Roglič, a Bala win would compensate it without a doubt.

Reactions: Eeslliw
Roglic deliberately let the jersey on stage 2, why the hell would he want it now? He'll have it already at stage 7, or at Velefique. He won't force his team to chase I think, of course he will sprint for the win if all comes together at the end...
There's an interesting conflict of interest between Roglic and his team here. Roglic seems to be relatively a bit worse at the end of GTs so he should look to put some time on his oponents now that he can (if he can). His team on the other hand seems to be able to control the race better in the later stages of a GT. I guess TJV will be trying to find the sweetspot and the question is - is stage 6 late enough for TJV?

Reactions: Luthor
There's an interesting conflict of interest between Roglic and his team here. Roglic seems to be relatively a bit worse at the end of GTs so he should look to put some time on his oponents now that he can (if he can). His team on the other hand seems to be able to control the race better in the later stages of a GT. I guess TJV will be trying to find the sweetspot and the question is - is stage 6 late enough for TJV?
Tomorrow is perfect for handing it over to some other 3rd tier climber so no problem for Jumbo.
If Roglic is fit he'll drop the watts bomb today.

Reactions: Red Rick
Tomorrow is perfect for handing it over to some other 3rd tier climber so no problem for Jumbo.
If Roglic is fit he'll drop the watts bomb today.
Yeah the only downside if magically other teams will target Roglic tomorrow ONLY if he has red but not if he doesn't have it.

Honestly the only annoyance for tomorrow is that gaps in GC way down are still very small so there's a lot of second tier climbers that can gain an uncomfortable amount of time.

If I was TJV, I would send Bouwmann or Krujiswek in the break and give them a chance.

I think with crosswinds expected all along the coast (basically final 80k) and a final circuit on narrow roads, I'd expect them to stay around Roglic, just in case. This could also make things difficult for the breakaway, by the way, as a nervous peloton tends to go fast, and the earlier part is straight into a headwind, so more difficult to establish a big gap

pretty much, yeah

6N3fZi2.png

(they do the circuit anti-clockwise, btw)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah he might grab it even if he doesn't want it, but I doubt they will force entire team to chase alone. If they get some help from other team(s), I think they should work, but if not, they should just leave it to the break.
Pretty much. If Jumbo want it, just put 2 dudes in the front. Also due to the cross/tailwind section at like 20km to go the peloton will get nervous and start chasing all by itself.

I think it's much more likely Valdepeñas goes to the breakaway than this one. Today is largely downhill, headwind for much of the day. Unless a gigantic breakaway goes it should be quite controllable.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS