• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022: Pre-race discussion/hype tread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How many time can Remco gain on this MTF on stage 9?

vuelta-a-espana-2022-stage-9-climb-n5-1cc94c219d.jpg

From Vuelta 2018 when Yates won it

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0OsUyjbr9s

This race looks pretty interesting and wide open.

Is it already clear that Carapaz will ride? Heard about rumours that he will leave the team? Could be a factor for the Ineos line-up here.

Sivakov, Rodriguez, Hayter, TGH and De Plus and Carapaz is a pretty strong line-up.

Also Bora with Hindley, Higuita, Keldermann and Buchmann looks pretty powerful. Don´t think that there will be space for Bennett.

Because UAE will also bring Ackermann Almeida will not have a full GC support team here. Evenepoel will have good support from van Wilder and Alaphilippe for is GC ambitions here. Let´s see if Roglic can make it. If he is not at 100%, it´s probably better for the excitment in the race.

Another rider to watch not named until now here is O´Connor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Landa probably riding for stagewin instead of GC, after disappointing Burgos showing. Says Evenepoel is ''capable of anything''.

...and Alaphilippe...
Alaf doesn't appear to be in the best shape tbh, and i have yet to see him do any significant work for a Evenepoel. I think he paced him for about 500m on Carpegna and that's about it. Let's see if his shape is worth a damn in Tour de l'Ain first.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
He is constantly improving on more hilly terrain. Still i wouldn't go as far as saying he is currently able to stomp that other guy.

Hence likely still some work left to do.
Hilly terrain was never really the issue with Remco, from what I've seen. It's percentage + altitude that beats him, as well as his aggressive nature. Yeah yeah he looks great in the Tour of eastern Norway bumble---k, but when he is up against other guys in top form in a major stage race, he goes backwards on the steep climbs over 7km or so. The key will be to get that straightened out.

Landa probably riding for stagewin instead of GC, after disappointing Burgos showing. Says Evenepoel is ''capable of anything''.

Alaf doesn't appear to be in the best shape tbh, and i have yet to see him do any significant work for a Evenepoel. I think he paced him for about 500m on Carpegna and that's about it. Let's see if his shape is worth a damn in Tour de l'Ain first.
On Landa

Saw an interviews in Spanish before 1st stage Vuelta Burgos, he said there already that he would be satisfied with a stage on the Vuelta.

Remember we are talking about a guy who had his best opportunity to win a Giro this year, and who instead said he was satisfied with podium.

I am forever a fan but he's not the most ambitious guy. A shame, in 2015 we thought he can conquer everything.

But as long as he is happy.

Remco level after 3 weeks is impossible to predict . Just enjoy, the anticipation

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
On Landa

Saw an interviews in Spanish before 1st stage Vuelta Burgos, he said there already that he would be satisfied with a stage on the Vuelta.

Remember we are talking about a guy who had his best opportunity to win a Giro this year, and who instead said he was satisfied with podium.

I am forever a fan but he's not the most ambitious guy. A shame, in 2015 we thought he can conquer everything.

But as long as he is happy.

Remco level after 3 weeks is impossible to predict . Just enjoy, the anticipation

Landa has had back issues so his form is not going to be good enough in time for GC. He would aim for the podium otherwise.

TRENDING THREADS